Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feminist/ militantly political girls Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Those terms are not as degrading.
    They're probably not as degrading to you because you're not a bloke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimdawg)
    Whats wrong with me knowing what sort of girls I find attractive? Do you have a problem with that?
    Nope not really, its just possibly a bit belittling to say you like girls with strong political views without caring what those views actually are. Kind of like the "its really cute when you get angry" thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhead)
    Way to totally understand Olivia's point, and the whole issue.
    There is no equivelent word for males because the same behaviour that is considered unacceptable and "slutty" in women is considered acceptable and even desirable in men. That is the double standard, and it is both ridiculous and horribly unfair.
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimdawg)
    I think its really hot when a reasonable or more looking girl has some militant political belief eg. feminism, very right wing or marxist, etc.

For example, I think that the allure of Sarah Palin was greatly helped by her right-wing, horrible beliefs, she's so hot :o:

I think I just shun the traditional idea of a subservient female, I like my women fiesty and opinionated lol.
    Sarah Palin's a bloody moron, all she has is her 'good looks'. She can't even form a coherent sentence, never mind her beliefs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BibblyBobbly)
    They're probably not as degrading to you because you're not a bloke.
    I've never seen a boy be called a man-whore or similar and do anything but grin. Male promiscuity is generally seen as a positive thing by society, you'd have to be incredibly obtuse to deny that fact.

ReputationRep:
    Nope not really, its just possibly a bit belittling to say you like girls with strong political views without caring what those views actually are. Kind of like the "its really cute when you get angry" thing.
    This is a pretty daft thing to say. Everything appears to be belittling these days. If he finds girls who are opinionated with strong political views attractive, then so be it, it doesn't make a difference whether he has a strong grounding in what those views are.

ReputationRep:
    But you would not call a man a slut even if he displayed the same traits or behaviour. Therefore the term is inherently unfair.
    I would, actually. Loads of others would too.

ReputationRep:
    But you would not call a man a slut even if he displayed the same traits or behaviour. Therefore the term is inherently unfair.
    You wouldn't call a girl a rent boy either! Not all words are going to be equally used with both genders.

It's not fair! Guys can be called cocks but girls aren't!! Blatant sexism to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen a boy be called a man-whore or similar and do anything but grin. Male promiscuity is generally seen as a positive thing by society, you'd have to be incredibly obtuse to deny that fact.
    'Players' :rolleyes:

Players = Sluts. At least decent people know it means the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    Trrrrrrroll

ReputationRep:
    i like the idea of a beautiful and cruel woman.

ReputationRep:
    I hate that term. :mad:
    There is no male equivalent, it exemplifies the double standards against women.
    Manwhore? I agree double standards do exist...then again you get cheaper car insurance and have greater life expectancy :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    This is a pretty daft thing to say. Everything appears to be belittling these days. If he finds girls who are opinionated with strong political views attractive, then so be it, it doesn't make a difference whether he has a strong grounding in what those views are.
    You wouldn't many guys saying they prefer the company of males with strong political views, without caring at all what those opinions are. Most people dislike the company of those with strongly opposing to their own. It seems to me that the reason he doesn't care about the views of the women he is attracted to is because he doesn't take the opinions of said women seriously.

To be honest I think the OP is a troll though.

ReputationRep:
    Well if I was called a rent-boy I wouldn't be best pleased as it means I got bummed for money. Most males would feel the same way.

There are a fair few girls that call themselves slutty and are in fact proud of it. Genetically, the male of the species is intended to mate as often as possible in order to pass on his genes, why else would sperm be created so rapidly? Women however, are meant to get pregnant (biologically speaking!), which shouldn't take too many attempts. Hence, a guy who has a lot of sex is seen as a successful breeder.

It's my biology
    :music:

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't call a girl a rent boy either! Not all words are going to be equally used with both genders.

It's not fair! Guys can be called cocks but girls aren't!! Blatant sexism to be honest.
    But the term-rent boy isn't used to describe a promiscuous man, whereas the term 'slut' is used against a promiscuous woman. There is no derogatory term to describe a sexually prolific man because society condones such behaviour in men, but condemns it in women. This is the double standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Failed123)
    'Players' :rolleyes:

Players = Sluts. At least decent people know it means the same thing.
    From person experience, and from what I have read in the media, a promiscuous male is usually portrayed in a positive light as a "stud" or a "playboy", or at most very slightly negatively almost in a joking matter as a "bit of a lad" or whatever. Promiscuous women on the other hand are often vilified.

ReputationRep:
    But the term-rent boy isn't used to describe a promiscuous man, whereas the term 'slut' is used against a promiscuous woman. There is no derogatory term to describe a sexually prolific man because society condones such behaviour in men, but condemns it in women. This is the double standard.
    Read my earlier thing about Biology.

To be brutally honest I think anybody who sleeps around with anyone is equally wrong, regardless of gender.

TBH I just think you're trying to find something to moan about.

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't many guys saying they prefer the company of males with strong political views, without caring at all what those opinions are. Most people dislike the company of those with strongly opposing to their own. It seems to me that the reason he doesn't care about the views of the women he is attracted to is because he doesn't take the opinions of said women seriously.

To be honest I think the OP is a troll though.
    Why do keep focusing on what the other gender would do? If you're focusing on women, focus on them, don't keep role reversing because it sounds good. Some girls find men who are interested in the army attractive, that doesn't mean they fully understand what the army entails, it's history, and conflict.

I think feminism in, in effect, a sympathy based exaggeration of past events. It may have been necessary in the past, but should the abolitionists for slavery still be active? No, because they've achieved what their goal was. So too have feminists. Why carry on? You're coming up with silly examples of sexism now, such as what the OP is proposing. If somebody finds you attractive don't complain, bloody hell.

ReputationRep:
    Well if I was called a rent-boy I wouldn't be best pleased as it means I got bummed for money. Most males would feel the same way.

There are a fair few girls that call themselves slutty and are in fact proud of it. Genetically, the male of the species is intended to mate as often as possible in order to pass on his genes, why else would sperm be created so rapidly? Women however, are meant to get pregnant (biologically speaking!), which shouldn't take too many attempts. Hence, a guy who has a lot of sex is seen as a successful breeder.

It's my biology
    :music:
    There is no biological reason why women shouldn't have a lot of sex.

There are girls who are proud to be promiscuous but the majority of society judges them in a negative way.

Being paid for sex =/= being sexually promiscuous

"slut" doesn't just refer to prostitutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Failed123)
    Sarah Palin's a bloody moron, all she has is her 'good looks'. She can't even form a coherent sentence, never mind her beliefs!
    She's hardly the brightest spark, but she's governor of Alaska and a multi-millionaire, which are greater achievements than most people will accomplish.

Its an element of attraction, get over it. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean you should ridicule/ deny its existence

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.