Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Lol. There I was thinking I would be a virgin forever because I have teh opinions. Turns out OP will **** me. Thank heavens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    You Americans are crazy. You have that etatist **** in your avatar but you would probably call yourself a liberal...
    I'm British actually, and FDR was a fine president. I don't call myself a liberal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Failed123)
    I'm British actually, and FDR was a fine president. I don't call myself a liberal.
    Well, guess I was wrong on two things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Well, guess I was wrong on two things.
    Yes you were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interrobang)
    What about man****?
    Who's that guy in your sig? Hot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    In many situations, men and women are equal. Well, they are equal under the law, anyway, and public opinion would generally support female equality - which is wonderful, of course. The same can be said for race issues - in many situations, races are equal. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be vigilant against racism, or that racism doesn't exist, or that fighting against racism is redundant. Feminism isn't redundant, just because sexism isn't as rampant as it was 60 years ago.
    I would be inclined to agree, but surely we should also be vigilant for sexism against men too, yes? As I said, it cuts both ways. Bias against men is becoming more prominent in contemporary society, I believe.
    Ah, now, here's a plum one. This is completely untrue. The MASSIVE presumption that women are "crying rape" is probably one of the most horrible things about our legal system today. The conviction rates for alleged rape cases are miniscule - about 6%. There was a recent report published about how police mismanage rape cases, and how rape victims are mistreated throughout the prosecution of their case. A third of people in this country think that a woman is partially or entirely responsible for being rape, if she acted flirtatiously. Public opinion, the police, and the courts are entirely on the man's side when it comes to rape. Spousal rape has only been illegal for a little over a decade in this country, men are definitely not suffering in this area.
    You misunderstood. I wasn't saying that women cry rape, but merely that men are presumed guilty, instead of innocent until proven guilty. You wouldn't question it, would you? It's very difficult for a man to absolve himself from a rape accusation, even if untrue, especially if it's the case of "his word against hers", of which "hers" is assumed true.
    I don't think that the autorities "wouldn't care" - domestic abuse against men isn't anywhere near as big a problem as domestic abuse against women. Two women every week die at the hands of their partners, the numbers for men isn't comparable. There is support for male domestic violence victims, it is a genuine issue. It is, absolutely, not the same for rape.
    People don't see it as a huge issue, but it is. There's nowhere near as much support for male victims.
    I think your statement about bisexual and lesbian women is absolutely untrue - I think you'd have to be quite obtuse to make that observation. Male gay culture, and gay men, are far better represented in the media and in popular culture. I don't think coming out is particularly easier for men or women.
    No, no, I do believe it's true. Women kissing is promoted, even encourages, whereas a male kiss on a popular TV show raises hundreds of complaints.

More: in Norway they're enforcing a law whereby 40% of directors must be females, they, therefore, sacked a load of males. What a load of ****. There are affirmative action and "positive discrimination" in favour of women at men's expense, such as;
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...ns-854475.html
    http://www.isil.org/resources/lit/affirm-action.html

Please take a few moments to look at these sites:
    http://antimisandry.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masculism

Please note that i'm not against feminism, I'm all for equality, in fact, I lobby for it. I just don't think modern feminism is true feminism at all, but is indeed misandry, and defeats its own purpose.

ReputationRep:
    I like girls who are dominant and take pleasure from inflicting physical pain on me. Girls who are into bondage and BDSM and CBT etc. Yes I am a sadist mwoahahahaha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    You misunderstood. I wasn't saying that women cry rape, but merely that men are presumed guilty, instead of innocent until proven guilty. You wouldn't question it, would you? It's very difficult for a man to absolve himself from a rape accusation, even if untrue, especially if it's the case of "his word against hers", of which "hers" is assumed true.
    Did you read what I wrote? Men aren't presumed guilty, women are presumed to be liars - that's why only SIX PERCENT OF MEN ARE CONVICTED. Her word isn't presumed true NINETY FOUR PERCENT OF THE TIME. It's very VERY VERY EASY for a man to absolve himself of a rape accusation. Everyone questions it, the police, the lawyers, the juries. Convictions rates are TINY. The complete opposite of what you're saying is true.

People don't see it as a huge issue, but it is. There's nowhere near as much support for male victims.
    There isn't as much support, but there aren't as many victims, so. There is support proportional to the number of victims.

No, no, I do believe it's true. Women kissing is promoted, even encourages, whereas a male kiss on a popular TV show raises hundreds of complaints.
    Two straight women kissing as a turn on for men, isn't genuine lesbianism. Does it really raise hundreds of complaints? Queer as folk was a pretty big hit.

You're slightly misrepresenting that story, it wasn't a case that they introduced a law whereby 40% of board directors had to be women, so they sacked men in order to meet the new law. Companies where told that they needed to appoint 40% women, and a Norwegian company appointed an all-male board in contradiction to the law. So, the company went against the law. I'm not quite sure how I feel about quotas like that.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly can't find a bigger turn off than strongly feminist girls.

For the record, I want everyone treated the same as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    SIX PERCENT OF MEN ARE CONVICTED. Her word isn't presumed true NINETY FOUR PERCENT OF THE TIME.
    Yet 100% of those males have their name dragged through the mud for it. They lose friends, family members, workmates over it, all on the say so of any girl at all, irrespective of her relationship to him. Granted very few girls will "cry rape", but to the men who are victim of this, they really have little option other than to change jobs, move etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snipex)
    Yet 100% of those males have their name dragged through the mud for it. They lose friends, family members, workmates over it, all on the say so of any girl at all, irrespective of her relationship to him. Granted very few girls will "cry rape", but to the men who are victim of this, they really have little option other than to change jobs, move etc.
    I'm not sure how true that statement is, but it completely ignores the bigger problem that of a six percent conviction rate - which is of rape victims being ignored, and rapists walking free.

I find your reaction to be a bizarre one, when confronted with the statistics about rape conviction rates, and the way the police treat rape victims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimdawg)
    I think its really hot when a reasonable or more looking girl has some militant political belief eg. feminism, very right wing or marxist, etc.

For example, I think that the allure of Sarah Palin was greatly helped by her right-wing, horrible beliefs, she's so hot :o:

I think I just shun the traditional idea of a subservient female, I like my women fiesty and opinionated lol.
    http://images.encyclopediadramatica....Csb_sboyle.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I work in a male dominated environment for my summer job. The company where i work has about 40 employees, one of whom is female. When we do work in places where women are the way many of my colleagues talk about them is appalling. I get many jibes asking if i am gay because i refuse (not vocally, technically i abstain) to take part. Sexism is alive and well and therefore i definately think there is a place for feminism. Men look out for men, there just isn't a 'ism because it wasn't a niche. I find intelligent women attractive irrespective of where they target their intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    I'm not sure how true that statement is, but it completely ignores the bigger problem that of a six percent conviction rate - which is of rape victims being ignored, and rapists walking free.

I find your reaction to be a bizarre one, when confronted with the statistics about rape conviction rates, and the way the police treat rape victims.
    I am not ignoring the problem of a 6% conviction rate - I think it's appalling, but you also must consider that not 100% of these cases are legitimate.

And I don't know why you find my reaction bizzare - I am merely not taking for granted that in all rape cases, the "victim"'s claim is true. Innocent until proven guilty springs to mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snipex)
    I am not ignoring the problem of a 6% conviction rate - I think it's appalling, but you also must consider that not 100% of these cases are legitimate.

And I don't know why you find my reaction bizzare - I am merely not taking for granted that in all rape cases, the "victim"'s claim is true. Innocent until proven guilty springs to mind.
    Obviously not 100% are legitimate, this isn't a problem solely for the crime of rape. I'm more concerned with the women are raped, and whose rapists are not convicted because the police and courts don't take them seriously, refer to them as "victims", or assume that they're lying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Failed123)
    America is far from liberal. Especially in California? I believe Prop 8 was passed there. If you want to broaden the Republican party's appeal you need to 1) Get with the the times and 2) Get rid of all your Rush Limbaugh, Pat Buchanan and Sarah Palin types (In other words, practically everyone). Anyways, I like how you keep on coming up with excuses, which you pull completely out of your arse without evidence. She doesn't have nude pictures, she didn't want to let Jesus down. She should run for Vice President or be a spokesperson. Christian conservative woman. Oh, she does? Well she's not perfect, she's trying to better herself Evidence? It's her job, she gets paid good money for it. I thought she was a strong woman? If she can't handle that, I don't think she should be in politics dear.

I don't think we need to "get with the times" as you put it. Just need to be clever with our image. We will never compromise on what we stand for :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Having a passion about the wider world is good - but not when it takes over their life. I met one girl last year - went to Oxford but became a militant environmentalist veggie who sucked the life out of me in conversation. I normally give as good as I get in a conversation and see myself as a greenie at heart, but this was way too much. I'm a champagne environmentalist - I'll do what I can and try and live the values I speak of but you won't find me livin' in no swamp wearing clothes made out of discarded potato sacks while surviving on the former contents alone for anyone.

Feisty and passionate debates and discussions =
    Being on the receiving end of a preacher with three mouths and no ears =

ReputationRep:
    Interesting discussion about feminism - would anyone who considers themselves both a feminist AND a liberal mind watching this video?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4FpTvp0tgs
    It's about feminist liberal apologists for the wearing of the burka /burkha / burqa, or rather, why liberal feminists seem so quiet on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkin'Butterfly)
    Who's that guy in your sig? Hot.
    David Byrne.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)
    I work in a male dominated environment for my summer job. The company where i work has about 40 employees, one of whom is female. When we do work in places where women are the way many of my colleagues talk about them is appalling. I get many jibes asking if i am gay because i refuse (not vocally, technically i abstain) to take part. Sexism is alive and well and therefore i definitely think there is a place for feminism. Men look out for men, there just isn't a 'ism because it wasn't a niche. I find intelligent women attractive irrespective of where they target their intelligence.
    Finally, a guy who gets it. Enjoy your rep

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.