Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know whether or not I should do Economics for A Level Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    I'm going into Year 12 in September and so far have decided to do English Lit, History and Politics. However, I'm not sure what to choose as my fourth subject, and am thinking economics.
    If you've done economics for A Level, can you tell me how similar it is to maths? I don't really like maths but economics seems more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Economics is respected by Universities so it would be a good choice
    Your subjects are actually exactly the same as mine, what do you wish to pursue after Sixth Form?

ReputationRep:
    I hate maths too, but I love Economics. I did English Lit and History as well; great combination.

ReputationRep:
    A level economics contains little to no maths, depending on the exam board. All we had to do was percentage changes, that was on OCR.

It's nothing like maths at all, and it's really easy to do well in.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    It's either film studies or economics and although film studies seems more interesting I don't want to do it if it's entirely worthless.
    I'm planning to study History at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloeeee!)
    Thanks
    It's either film studies or economics and although film studies seems more interesting I don't want to do it if it's entirely worthless.
    I'm planning to study History at Uni.
    Economics and History go amazingly well together, do Economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyjane_09)
    Economics and History go amazingly well together, do Economics.
    Yeah I think I will.
    I haven't done Business Studies for GCSE though, would that matter?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think I will.
    No, I did business for GCSE, why would it?

It's taught from scratch and definitely the best subject to pick.

ReputationRep:
    it's respected so go for it if you want. Although exam technique will be the end of you if you can't get it :mad: however you're doing english lit so shouldn't be a problem

Also no maths at all apart from adding and subtraction

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think I will.
    I didn't I'm one of 4 people in my class who doesn't do Business or Accounting too. It's such an amazing subject to study. I'd never studied it before in my life, and have been doing good.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study Economics. A minimal amount of Maths is used in Economics. You'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyjane_09)
    I hate maths too, but I love Economics. I did English Lit and History as well; great combination.
    i do eng lit, history and economics as well :woo: what a coincidence, we should have dinner together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    i do eng lit, history and economics as well :woo: what a coincidence, we should have dinner together
    I know quite a lot of people who do, popular combination. That was smooth :cool:

Economics A-level is one of the best A-levels.

Most people enjoy it, it has no maths, it's respected by universities and compliments any subject combination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sports Racer)
    Economics A-level is one of the best A-levels.

Most people enjoy it, it has no maths, it's respected by universities and compliments any subject combination.
    :ditto:

If not the best A-level to study in which you will enjoy and will also be highly regarded by universities. I'm rubbish at maths and I still did fine at AS level. You'll probably only have to work out the odd percentage, but that's about it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It has no maths whatsoever. Bit of a shame really. But do it! It's a really interesting A-level that has become very applicable today in the light of our current economic crisis. It's also well respected by universities.

I took English lit, Politics and Economics and I really enjoyed all three. I did little to no maths, in fact I don't recall doing any maths at all and I quite liked it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Economics has pretty much no maths in it at all. This summer, my exam had one maths question in it, and you're allowed a calculator. It was divide the country's GDP by the number of inhabitants to get the average wage. Even if you're crap at maths, you can still do it.

As to whether you'll enjoy it or not, then that depends on you. Are you interested in how the market works, both for a single good (micro-economics) and internationally (macro)? Would you find it interesting to write about how the government could use various different economic policies to correct economic problems? Do you think you'd enjoy discussing why people buy goods, what they buy, what determines what they buy and how much, and how companies sell in general?

Personally, I haven't enjoyed it enormously. Parts of it haven't been half bad, I have to admit, such as all the stuff that's now relevent to our currect crisis and how it could be resolved, why it happened, and how it compares to previous recessions but on the whole it just wasn't quite my cup of tea. But some of my friends have loved it so much, they're gonna go to do it at university. To give you a bit of a flavour for it, you could try taking a look at the tutor2u website, on the economics page. It's really good, I've used it a lot, and reading a couple of the articles could help to figure out whether you'll enjoy it or not. Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    Economics ftw.

Good subject choices too.

Economics and Maths are completely different at A Level, there's almost no Maths required in Economics A Level, except for the odd percentage calculation. I loved doing it at A Level

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.