Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong forum area - please move if so!

I'm doing Bronze Duke of Ed, and have to do the usual - sport, service and skill - 2 for three months and one for six. Skill's sorted, as I already do piano, so that'll be the sixth-month one. No idea about sport, but I'll sort it out later. Anyway, I'm working at oxfam books once a week this summer, for about 7 hours - not just because of Duke of Ed, but because I wanted to work there at any rate, plus it's good to get work experience. The award says you have to do enough service to work out at 1 hr a week for three months. I was wondering, since I'm doing it for 7hrs a week, could I just make up all the hours in a shorter time - would that be allowed? (Sorry if this isn't very clear...ask if you don't know what I mean ) I really like the work, but I don't really want to continue into September because of school work/other commitments - I couldn't really give enough time. Has anyone done this before? My manager says he can tweak dates to make it look like I've done it over three months, because I am working hard for longer hours than you have to- but I want to avoid dishonesty if possible! Lol. Cheers for your help, in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm sure it counts. As long as you do a whole 30 hours, it doesn't matter if you don't do it for 3 months. But if you were to tweak dates, no one would know either!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Why 30 hours? If it's an hour a week for 3 months, it's
    4 x 3, 12 hours right?

ReputationRep:
    do your service and have a tweeky of the dates

ReputationRep:
    You have to do an hour plus per week for the 3 or 6 months according to the award to show commitment to it. If you could do it all together it would only take a week...

ReputationRep:
    I'm so tempted by the tweak. So you really are supposed to? I couldn't find anything on their site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by je-ne-regrette-rien)
    Thanks. Why 30 hours? If it's an hour a week for 3 months, it's
    4 x 3, 12 hours right?
    Oh, sorry I must be thinking of silver or something instead of bronze. Yes, 12 hours. You'd still be doing it for 2 weeks then? Perhaps you could do less hours a week and spread it over the holiday for the sake of having a conscience? :p: Personally I would tweak it, because you are still working the same number of hours which is still commitment.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, OK... I'm defo doing it for the whole holiday...by the end of August it'll work out that I've done about 40 hours, which is like 3 times what you need. So I guess I'll tweak. I'll ask my teach when I get back to school (obviously mentioning nothing about tweaking lol).

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.