Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong forum area - please move if so!

I'm doing Bronze Duke of Ed, and have to do the usual - sport, service and skill - 2 for three months and one for six. Skill's sorted, as I already do piano, so that'll be the sixth-month one. No idea about sport, but I'll sort it out later. Anyway, I'm working at oxfam books once a week this summer, for about 7 hours - not just because of Duke of Ed, but because I wanted to work there at any rate, plus it's good to get work experience. The award says you have to do enough service to work out at 1 hr a week for three months. I was wondering, since I'm doing it for 7hrs a week, could I just make up all the hours in a shorter time - would that be allowed? (Sorry if this isn't very clear...ask if you don't know what I mean ) I really like the work, but I don't really want to continue into September because of school work/other commitments - I couldn't really give enough time. Has anyone done this before? My manager says he can tweak dates to make it look like I've done it over three months, because I am working hard for longer hours than you have to- but I want to avoid dishonesty if possible! Lol. Cheers for your help, in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm sure it counts. As long as you do a whole 30 hours, it doesn't matter if you don't do it for 3 months. But if you were to tweak dates, no one would know either!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Why 30 hours? If it's an hour a week for 3 months, it's
    4 x 3, 12 hours right?

ReputationRep:
    do your service and have a tweeky of the dates

ReputationRep:
    You have to do an hour plus per week for the 3 or 6 months according to the award to show commitment to it. If you could do it all together it would only take a week...

ReputationRep:
    I'm so tempted by the tweak. So you really are supposed to? I couldn't find anything on their site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by je-ne-regrette-rien)
    Thanks. Why 30 hours? If it's an hour a week for 3 months, it's
    4 x 3, 12 hours right?
    Oh, sorry I must be thinking of silver or something instead of bronze. Yes, 12 hours. You'd still be doing it for 2 weeks then? Perhaps you could do less hours a week and spread it over the holiday for the sake of having a conscience? :p: Personally I would tweak it, because you are still working the same number of hours which is still commitment.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, OK... I'm defo doing it for the whole holiday...by the end of August it'll work out that I've done about 40 hours, which is like 3 times what you need. So I guess I'll tweak. I'll ask my teach when I get back to school (obviously mentioning nothing about tweaking lol).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.