Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've been with my current girlfriend for nearly a year now, and at first we were taking it slow as she is a virgin. However we now want to have sex, but when it came to it I couldn't maintain an erection for intercourse. This has happened a few times now and I've made some pathetic excuse on each occasion.

I have had plenty of sex in the past which makes this even more worrying for me.

Also, it's not for lack of erection altogether; During foreplay I am very "hard", yet once that condom's on and I move to enter her, I just become to soft and it's irritating as hell >_<

Should I seek medical advice or what? Or are there things I can try before that? Such as drink more water and cut back on smoking?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly that you're just nervous about it being the first time with her? Chances are once you get past that hurdle you'll be fine, it's more just the anticipation. If it's been built up for nearly a year, I guess there's just a lot of stuff you've gone through together resting on it, and that's probably in your mind. Also if you're drinking that can have a negative effect of maintaining erection.
    Maybe try and have a whole night just for you two, nothing heavy, just relaxed evening in, let things flow, should help things be less tense.

ReputationRep:
    I would refer you to this thread. It's all been discussed already: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=934512

ReputationRep:
    Well there you go, you've got your problem. You shouldn't smoke.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.