Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should you make conversation with your examiner. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What I have read around the forum is that making conversation with the examiner will help you pass your test. To what extent is this true, have you tried it and did it work. My test is next week so im getting nervous.:woo:

ReputationRep:
    I've been wondering the same thing :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Didn't say two words to my first examiner and failed. Had a lovely conversation with my second examiner - and found a mutual love of jazz, which he seemed pretty impressed by - and passed. Make of that what you will.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that it helps you pass your test (the examiner is not judging your personality!) however I found that having a conversation put me at ease (as I was not madly shouting at myself in my head!) and so the drive went smoothly - an interesting note would be that the examiner was the first to make conversation rather than myself

ReputationRep:
    My examiner ignored all of my attempts to make conversation. Miserable *******.

Still passed though.

ReputationRep:
    I can't talk to my examiner because i'll end up getting distracted..i always do in my lessons. You'd think that being a woman, i'd know how to multi task!!! would it be rude if i told my examiner that i don't want him to speak?!?!?
    If the examiners talking, will they be less likely to notice mistakes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LdnShmoo)
    Didn't say two words to my first examiner and failed. Had a lovely conversation with my second examiner - and found a mutual love of jazz, which he seemed pretty impressed by - and passed. Make of that what you will.
    Yet another case that back ups the idea of conversation lol

ReputationRep:
    I had zero conversation with my examiner, he seemed like quite a grumpy dude. He was nice enough to pass me though.

ReputationRep:
    Had my second today! I passed!! Lol; abit excited. First time he asked me question to make a little convo, this time he asked me abit more, but in either of them i did not start the conversation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Miss A*)
    would it be rude if i told my examiner that i don't want him to speak?!?!?
    No its not rude, its your test you should do whatever you like! (obviously within reason. you still want to pass). But i'd imagine if you gave them one word answers they'de get the message and stop trying, so you wouldn't have to tell them not to speak :p:

ReputationRep:
    so i shouldnt start conversation but i should be keen to engage in an conversation with the examiner if they start it.

ReputationRep:
    Just concentrate on your driving. They won't be distracted by your chat, but you will. I reckon you're more likely to pass if you pay attention to what's happening on the road - so you're better prepared for what might happen. Is it really worth £62 to be distracted talking about nothing in the hope that you might distract them or charm them?

Incidentally, they won't be offended if you don't strike up a conversation. You're there for a driving test, so they expect you to concentrate on driving safely.

ReputationRep:
    I had a sing along with my examiner... needless to say, i passed first time

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Well I shook the examiners hand, made some small talk (weather and stuff) to make a good first impression. I was pretty quiet during the drive and he was nice enough to pass me.

ReputationRep:
    If my examiner ever happens to be a sexy girl , I'm failing my test. To much distractions !

ReputationRep:
    First examiner...prick, a real expired lemon... 3 majors - 2
    Second examiner...hot day, spent day complaining about his collegues and sticking his head out the window. Passed, 5 minors

ReputationRep:
    I talked with my examiner for the first 10 minutes then had to do a hill start at traffic lights and hinted that maybe i need to concentrate now
    He started the conversation, and told me all about how his daughter was doing the same A levels as me :awesome:
    Passed first time

ReputationRep:
    My first examiner spoke with me all the way through.

The only communication through the 2nd test was the obligatory, "pull over here" etc. and my reply of "ok"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockyone2)
    What I have read around the forum is that making conversation with the examiner will help you pass your test. To what extent is this true, have you tried it and did it work. My test is next week so im getting nervous.:woo:
    i reckon it depends on the person takin the test. i couldnt face 40 mins of utter silence, with the occasional sound of pen on paper... so i had to make convo. at the beginning he was a bit quiet, nasty man, didnt want to respond... but he came out of his shell after about 20 minutes. he asked me what i would be doin if not drivin... i asked him how long hes been doing it for... why does he do it? does he enjoy it? random stuff

i suppose it eases the tension if youre tense. but ye, depends on you.

ReputationRep:
    I hope not, because I can't talk and drive at the same time. I have enough problems just driving, I don't need someone putting me off .

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.