(Original post by xSkyFire)
    Driving without any chat is kinda boring lol
    Thats exactly what i was thinking. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockyone2)
    Thats exactly what i was thinking. lol
    lol me too!

ReputationRep:
    I was too concentrated on driving and passing, didn't give a **** about make conversation :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatrollingstone)
    I was too concentrated on driving and passing, didn't give a **** about make conversation :p:
    did u pass in the end

ReputationRep:
    did u pass in the end
    Yup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    I hope not, because I can't talk and drive at the same time. I have enough problems just driving, I don't need someone putting me off .
    That's reassuring for other road users :p: .

ReputationRep:
    He started talking to me about his holidays to Zimbabwe so I engaged in conversation then...I passed first time.

Also-bloody hell the test is £62 now? It was £40-odd when I took it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lell)
    He started talking to me about his holidays to Zimbabwe so I engaged in conversation then...I passed first time.

Also-bloody hell the test is £62 now? It was £40-odd when I took it!
    ha lol. Yh it gets mre expensive everytime. I just want to pass 1st time

ReputationRep:
    Had 2 conversations with my examiner, both started by her. First was 5mins in and the 2nd about5mins from the drving centre heading back but quiet inbetween. My examiner was pretty attractive....i got a minor for looking in my mirror too long at one junction due to seeing her:P:P

passed first time, 5 minors.

ReputationRep:
    It has nothing to do with it! If u can drive .. u pass, if u cant u fail ... nothing einstein about it

ReputationRep:
    Be friendly. Some examiners prefer to keep quiet to allow you to concentrate, some aren't offey to some conversation. Just make some polite friendly conversation on moments that aren't too taxing. Then keep your concentration for the terrifying bits. If you are friendly they will look for opportunities to pass you rather than to fail you.

A friggin' pedestrian walked out in front of me suddenly on my test had to emergency stop. She didn't look to see if anything was coming. Luckily my emergency stop was right, and I passed, even though I thought I'd failed. If I met that woman now I'd give her a right telling off.

ReputationRep:
    Let's stick to the facts. It won't make the slightest difference to the result whether you make pleasant small talk or not.

The examiner will be the first to chat about the weather / your working day / holidays etc. and you can reply if you want to. If you don't, that's your call.

Now as for the discrepancies between examiners, consider this: They're trained only to instigate conversation where you won't be distracted, such as boring straight stretches of road with little happening or at long red lights where you've only just stopped. If you get lots of the above, expect plenty of chit-chat instigation. If you find all the lights are green and there's craploads going on, the same examiner will say little so as not to distract you. Same guy, different circumstances, so it's not all about "he's nice" and "he's a misery" etc.

Similarly, if you start talking to him while looking at him (and not noticing the lights are green and you're just sitting there) then of course the examiner will stare at the lights and make little reply. He's not being miserable; he's wanting you to concentrate on your driving, especially where you're about to pick up a serious fault. Best not to make eye contact with the guy while talking to him.

ReputationRep:
    it makes the experience a bit more peasant. as long as you dont let it get in the way of what either of you are there for. it also can make some people (me included) relax a lil'..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    Let's stick to the facts. It won't make the slightest difference to the result whether you make pleasant small talk or not.

The examiner will be the first to chat about the weather / your working day / holidays etc. and you can reply if you want to. If you don't, that's your call.

Now as for the discrepancies between examiners, consider this: They're trained only to instigate conversation where you won't be distracted, such as boring straight stretches of road with little happening or at long red lights where you've only just stopped. If you get lots of the above, expect plenty of chit-chat instigation. If you find all the lights are green and there's craploads going on, the same examiner will say little so as not to distract you. Same guy, different circumstances, so it's not all about "he's nice" and "he's a misery" etc.

Similarly, if you start talking to him while looking at him (and not noticing the lights are green and you're just sitting there) then of course the examiner will stare at the lights and make little reply. He's not being miserable; he's wanting you to concentrate on your driving, especially where you're about to pick up a serious fault. Best not to make eye contact with the guy while talking to him.
    As much i agree with you. I think small talk will affect your result. Couldnt it be the difference between a minor and a major.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    it makes the experience a bit more peasant. as long as you dont let it get in the way of what either of you are there for. it also can make some people (me included) relax a lil'..
    lol yh it should help my nerves.:p:

ReputationRep:
    Couldnt it be the difference between a minor and a major.
    No, that's down to your driving and the examiner's expert assessment of the fault under the circumstances. Chat simply makes you feel better / worse, whichever way you look at it.

Now, it could be said that if you feel better, you'll perform better. You'd have to ask a psychologist about that one.

ReputationRep:
    I talked to mine. Made it all a lot easier and less awkward. Not sure that it helped me pass in any other way than calming my nerves a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I talked to mine, which I think helped calm me down. I passed first time, so no problems there.

I do remember being half way through a sentence, and then just going quiet whilst I had to concentrate a bit more at a junction, then just continuing the conversation again afterwards...

ReputationRep:
    I was proper nervous for my test, luckily for me I had a nice examiner, he started casual conversation about school and work etc, calmed me down a lot and I passed first time with only 6 minors, I would defo recomend conversation, think I wuld have failed if the car had been silent other the occasional 'please take the next right'

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 31, 2009
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.