Turn on thread page Beta

Should you make conversation with your examiner. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't. Just be friendly and talk if they ask about you.

Make conversation out of the car, perhaps, but tbh you're going to be nervous and concentrating on the road is probably your best bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottnoplot)
    I was proper nervous for my test, luckily for me I had a nice examiner, he started casual conversation about school and work etc, calmed me down a lot and I passed first time with only 6 minors, I would defo recomend conversation, think I wuld have failed if the car had been silent other the occasional 'please take the next right'
    very good advice. Hopefully my examiner will be friendly.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your examiner, which is just down to luck. I didn't start any conversations with mine, but he did. Just the odd little comment about my A levels when we were stopping at traffic lights and the like. I highly doubt it swayed my result though (I did pass first time).

ReputationRep:
    The examiner made conversation near the beginning of my test when we were in slow moving traffic, asking whether I was still in college or have now got a job or something. Then I told him about the A Levels I was doing (including Music Tech), then he asked me what instruments I played, and that was that.

ReputationRep:
    well i passed the other day and i most say i talked to the examiner alot. He was so talkative he missed around 5 minors i did lol. I passed 1st time 4 minors. If your going to do your test talk to your examiners

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilkybar)
    i reckon it depends on the person takin the test. i couldnt face 40 mins of utter silence, with the occasional sound of pen on paper... so i had to make convo. at the beginning he was a bit quiet, nasty man, didnt want to respond... but he came out of his shell after about 20 minutes. he asked me what i would be doin if not drivin... i asked him how long hes been doing it for... why does he do it? does he enjoy it? random stuff

i suppose it eases the tension if youre tense. but ye, depends on you.
    Yeah I got asked that lol. My instructor warned me not to talk too much otherwise I'd be distracted, but there's me going on about should be at college, swine flu etc. Ooops :P Would've passed though if it wasn't for the start. I think it put me at ease tbh. He made all the convo starts though

ReputationRep:
    This isn't a very sensible question. You pass your driving test by not getting any majors. Making conversation with your examiner doesn't make you any less likely to get a major.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123450)
    This isn't a very sensible question. You pass your driving test by not getting any majors. Making conversation with your examiner doesn't make you any less likely to get a major.
    It makes u more relaxed if you talk to ur examiner. Being nervous is what causes majors for most people so your wrong.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.