Turn on thread page Beta

I've always wanted to know this. watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so there's a train. It's going about 40mph down a train track and there's someone standing up in the middle of one of the carriages. The person decides to jump.

Now instead of moving back when they land, they stay in exactly the same place. I would have thought that it would have worked a different way, where they would fly back when they land because they've been in one particular place in midair for a very small amount of time while the train has continued to move.

My question is: why?

It's because they are moving at the same velocity as the train.

ReputationRep:
    Mindboggling

ReputationRep:
    they have the mommentum from when they were moving with the train, if they could stay in the air long enough to slow down then they would move further back

EDI: i dont know if i said that right actually, they will keep travelling at the same speed unless another force is put on them, air resistance is hardly going to be enough in the time you jump!

ReputationRep:
    I think im guna test this out... Do Not Trust!

ReputationRep:
    They already have a 40mph movement in the direction that train is travelling. The air inside the train is also moving at 40mph with the train.

They jump about a foot into the air.

You would need to lose forward motion by decelerating the air around you in order to move backwards. If you were in a bottomless pit that was moving at 40mph you might do it noticably, but not in the time it takes you to jump up and down a foot.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.