Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If an ok looking girl acts like she's stunning, does it convince people that she is? watch

It seems like if a girl acts big-headed about her looks, then even though people will talk about how arrogant she is, they will actually think she is really pretty even if she's not. There's this girl I know and when she first started uni she seemed down to earth and modest. Everyone liked her personality but guys used to say she was not bad looking but nothing special either. Gradually her personality changed and she now acts like she loves herself and makes subtle big-headed comments about her looks. People have started to ***** about her and say her personality is not as nice and modest as they first thought. However, she is now known to be really pretty. Guys say things like, 'she really loves herself but you have to admit, she's really pretty'. These are the same guys who used to say that she is plain looking and nothing special. This has made me think that arrogance can subconsiously convince people that you are as good as you say you are (whether it's about looks or other things). Have you noticed this kind of thing? If so, why do you think this happens?

ReputationRep:
    interesting.

i always wondered if this was true.

i have noticed it a few times.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it could.

Usually if I think a girls really ugly , but everyone else thinks she god damn hot , then I'll start thinking that there's something wrong with me :P. Sorry for being off-topic.

ReputationRep:
    If she's really pretty, what's the problem? She's not allowed to be confident, arrogant or ***** about it?

Too many people complain about looking too bad nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    increase in self confidence can lead to such things.....or so i think.

ReputationRep:
    The thread "Why can't girls just accept it when they're ugly?" comes to mind :yep:

ReputationRep:
    If an average girl acts confidently and believes she is good looking then obviously she is going to be more attractive than her twin sister who doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    Confidence is attractive. So before she was just okay, but now she's more confident, she's suddenly more attractive.

There's a girl I know like that - she used to be REALLY ugly, but she got a bit better through high school. Now loads of guys absolutely love her, even though I'd like to think I am slightly better looking than her. I think its just cause she's a flirt, and probably pretty easy. Well, I'd hope so. Because if she gets all the guys and I don't...that doesn't give me much hope.

If she's really pretty, what's the problem? She's not allowed to be confident, arrogant or ***** about it?

Too many people complain about looking too bad nowadays.
    That wasn't the point of this thread. I was saying that guys thought she was genuine and down to earth but quite average looking, and when she started acting arrogant they disliked her personality and started thinking she's pretty. I was wondering if her arrogant attitude subconsiously made guys think she's pretty.

ReputationRep:
    Attractiveness can show through confidence. It'll also get her noticed more.
    If you're confident in yourself, other will start to believe in you too, obviously it wouldn't work if she was ugly, but attitude can definitely improve a person.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all.

And overly confident girls are gross.

ReputationRep:
    Being pretty is not a crime. Though there are some girls who act like they need to marry themselves and have their own babies.

ReputationRep:
    Confidence works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dymphna)
    Confidence is attractive. So before she was just okay, but now she's more confident, she's suddenly more attractive.

There's a girl I know like that - she used to be REALLY ugly, but she got a bit better through high school. Now loads of guys absolutely love her, even though I'd like to think I am slightly better looking than her. I think its just cause she's a flirt, and probably pretty easy. Well, I'd hope so. Because if she gets all the guys and I don't...that doesn't give me much hope.
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    If she is okay, then yeah the confidence could make her more attractive.

I don't think this would work with an unattractive girl though, people would just think she is really up herself and would mock her I reckon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That wasn't the point of this thread. I was saying that guys thought she was genuine and down to earth but quite average looking, and when she started acting arrogant they disliked her personality and started thinking she's pretty. I was wondering if her arrogant attitude subconsiously made guys think she's pretty.
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    If an average girl acts confidently and believes she is good looking then obviously she is going to be more attractive than her twin sister who doesn't.
    This right here. Spot on.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed this as well...

ReputationRep:
    Confidence is not only attractive in men, but in women too when it comes to members of the opposite sex.
    Confidence in women is unattractive to other women (a lot of the time).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Confidence is not only attractive in men, but in women too when it comes to members of the opposite sex.
    Confidence in women is unattractive to other women (a lot of the time).
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    I noticed that in high school, there were always some of the "popular" girls who weren't as pritty as some of there mates but acted like they were wanted by everyone, I think all the guys went along with it more because they were "popular" because they got a lot of guys some of them but they weren't that good looking. I think confidence and being happy in your skin can make you more attractive but being arrogant and placing too much importance on your looks or anyone elses for that matter is unatractive. I think a pretty girl who is miserable and keeps telling everyone shes ugly is less attracive or at least should appear less attractive but a girl who just doesn't notice how pretty she is can be maybe more attractive than a confident girl...i'm a girl so not sure

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.