Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If an ok looking girl acts like she's stunning, does it convince people that she is? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dymphna)
    Confidence is attractive. So before she was just okay, but now she's more confident, she's suddenly more attractive.

There's a girl I know like that - she used to be REALLY ugly, but she got a bit better through high school. Now loads of guys absolutely love her, even though I'd like to think I am slightly better looking than her. I think its just cause she's a flirt, and probably pretty easy. Well, I'd hope so. Because if she gets all the guys and I don't...that doesn't give me much hope.
    Maybe you're not a good looking as you think. Also, there's no way one girl can have all the guys at once, so you shouldn't have no hope! :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Bit o' modesty goes a long way hahaha..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Maybe you're not a good looking as you think. Also, there's no way one girl can have all the guys at once, so you shouldn't have no hope! :yy:
    There is always one that seems to ATTRACT every guys attention

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimbo99)
    I noticed that in high school, there were always some of the "popular" girls who weren't as pritty as some of there mates but acted like they were wanted by everyone, I think all the guys went along with it more because they were "popular" because they got a lot of guys some of them but they weren't that good looking. I think confidence and being happy in your skin can make you more attractive but being arrogant and placing too much importance on your looks or anyone elses for that matter is unatractive. I think a pretty girl who is miserable and keeps telling everyone shes ugly is less attracive or at least should appear less attractive but a girl who just doesn't notice how pretty she is can be maybe more attractive than a confident girl...i'm a girl so not sure
    This :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimbo99)
    I noticed that in high school, there were always some of the "popular" girls who weren't as pritty as some of there mates but acted like they were wanted by everyone, I think all the guys went along with it more because they were "popular" because they got a lot of guys some of them but they weren't that good looking. I think confidence and being happy in your skin can make you more attractive but being arrogant and placing too much importance on your looks or anyone elses for that matter is unatractive. I think a pretty girl who is miserable and keeps telling everyone shes ugly is less attracive or at least should appear less attractive but a girl who just doesn't notice how pretty she is can be maybe more attractive than a confident girl...i'm a girl so not sure
    YES YES YES OMG you are way too right

ReputationRep:
    In my school, there are some girls who just like the attention and who are, well, a bit easy. Being easy makes them think: Hey, I get all the guys, I MUST be pretty! Then guys start to think: Wow, a lot of boys like her, she MUST be pretty.

While, if you look closely, there are a lot of girls who are way prettier, but who are just a bit more selective when it comes to boys.

And of course, confidence is attractive... If an average girl sends out a confident 'vibe', people will probably think she's pretty, but if it is too arrogant, I don't think it's a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    confidence is attractive, I don't know about actually changing people's opinions on her physical appearance though.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno...there's someone in my year like that, and although she was stunning 2 years ago, she's not anymore (massive nose) and everyone sees through the arrogance/*****iness in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Make up works a lot of wonders. You see a girl one night looking stunning, see her the next day without it, she looks like Frankenstein.

ReputationRep:
    No she looks arrogant. If you were to say she acted confident instead of acting stunning then I would say she would look much better for it.

ReputationRep:
    maybe a bit.

but it would have the opposite effect on me.

i dont care for stuck up girls. waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    A certain theatrical showman with a love of evolutionary psychology and an affinity with fluffy top hats created a term known as negative hits, more commonly referred to as negs. Most women who have underlying self-esteem issues will be taken aback by the use of negs. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the popular girls in school swaned around as if they were the hottest things to walk the earth, they were full of confidence and had boys licking their feet. People thought they were pretty, but now when you look back and when you see them now I'm like WTF, they really weren't.

A lot of my (guy) friends believe that a girl who is hot/confident etc, is the girl they'd like to chase/pull and brag to their mates. But for girlfriend material they'd prefer a girl who was actually pretty but unaware of this.

ReputationRep:
    If you say something enough times obviously people are going to believe it, just look at the third reich

ReputationRep:
    Not acting big headed about her looks, that makes her worse if anything.

Confidence and coyness on the other hand, extremely attractive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Byllie)
    If you say something enough times obviously people are going to believe it, just look at the third reich
    I've personally yet to find a girl as charismatic as Adolf or Heinrich.

I 'm not sure thats a bad thing. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    This is so true!.... I have definitley noticed this.
    I guess, guys are attracted to self-confidence and arrogance?
    x

ReputationRep:
    This phenomenon isn't limited to attractiveness. I know more than one person of mediocre intelligence who have managed to convince others that they're actually geniuses just by taking every opportunity to show off some obscure piece of knowledge, and boasting about some test they got 47/50 on for weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giggles128)
    This is so true!.... I have definitley noticed this.
    I guess, guys are attracted to self-confidence and arrogance?
    x
    Exactly this^

If you say something enough times obviously people are going to believe it
    This is exactly what I was thinking. If you make comments and act like you're really pretty, it seems like people are going to start believing it. But as someone mentioned before, it would only work if the girl is at least okay looking. If they are typically ugly, then they will get mocked.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.