Turn on thread page Beta

If an ok looking girl acts like she's stunning, does it convince people that she is? watch

ReputationRep:
    its a self fullfillling prophesy

ReputationRep:
    I think this is the case v.often. Just taking a quite random but current example - Emma Watson who plays Hermione in Harry Potter. She is pretty, no denying but also fairly average, but has confidence by the bucket loads and obviously is pretty darn pleased with how everything has turned out for her and is clearly confident with how she looks and so many people act like she's totally stunning when you could find similar and better looking girls on the street.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think there is a balance.

If you have confidence in yourself you appear to be a lot sexier; emphasise the best features, stand tall, head high.. know in yourself that you are pretty. Exude the loveliness! Have to draw the line at arrogance though, make sure you stay modest. You don't need to say anything to be sexy, just act your normal self, albeit with less shyness. Get yourself out there!

ReputationRep:
    Found this on the net:

Elliot Aronson, a social psychologist at Stanford University, believes self-fulfilling prophecies - in which a person't confident self-perception, further perpetuated by healthy feedback from others - may play a role in success as well. Aronson suggests, based on the self-fulfilling prophecy that people who feel they are attractive - though not necessarily rated as such - are just as successful as their counterparts who are judged to be good-looking.

ReputationRep:
    Of course.

When a woman is portrayed in a film or in television as being beautiful, the subconcious assumption is that she is, in fact, beautiful. It's the same principle as celebrities who are average-looking being more desirable than the average looking non-celebrity. The competition aspect sparks up in men, and the more people who want a particular person, the more 'valuable' she becomes.

(Original post by kates:))
    I think this is the case v.often. Just taking a quite random but current example - Emma Watson who plays Hermione in Harry Potter. She is pretty, no denying but also fairly average, but has confidence by the bucket loads and obviously is pretty darn pleased with how everything has turned out for her and is clearly confident with how she looks and so many people act like she's totally stunning when you could find similar and better looking girls on the street.
    I see what you mean, but I think it's very different with celebrities because as long as they're slightly above average looking they'll automatically get people saying they're stunning. I think people say she's stunning because she's become really famous, not really because of her confidence/arrogance. But if she wasn't famous, that would be a perfect example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It seems like if a girl acts big-headed about her looks, then even though people will talk about how arrogant she is, they will actually think she is really pretty even if she's not. There's this girl I know and when she first started uni she seemed down to earth and modest. Everyone liked her personality but guys used to say she was not bad looking but nothing special either. Gradually her personality changed and she now acts like she loves herself and makes subtle big-headed comments about her looks. People have started to ***** about her and say her personality is not as nice and modest as they first thought. However, she is now known to be really pretty. Guys say things like, 'she really loves herself but you have to admit, she's really pretty'. These are the same guys who used to say that she is plain looking and nothing special. This has made me think that arrogance can subconsiously convince people that you are as good as you say you are (whether it's about looks or other things). Have you noticed this kind of thing? If so, why do you think this happens?
    I think confidence is very attractive. I would notice an average looking guy who was confident enough to come over and talk to me much more than a 'hot' guy who didn't say a word. But there is a line between being confident about yourself and arrogant, that's a complete turn off. I do know a lot of very average looking girls who think they are super-models and they do get a lot of attention. I guess they make an effort with thier looks, always dress well (tarty) and have the confidence to go up and speak to people and be approachable. I think its quite good. It beats listening to skinny, pretty girls complaining about beinng fat/ugly.

I think confidence is very attractive. I would notice an average looking guy who was confident enough to come over and talk to me much more than a 'hot' guy who didn't say a word. But there is a line between being confident about yourself and arrogant, that's a complete turn off. I do know a lot of very average looking girls who think they are super-models and they do get a lot of attention. I guess they make an effort with thier looks, always dress well (tarty) and have the confidence to go up and speak to people and be approachable. I think its quite good. It beats listening to skinny, pretty girls complaining about beinng fat/ugly.
    I know confidence is more attractive. But in this situation, at first everyone liked the girls personality but thought she was plain looking, then she became arrogant and they started to dislike her personality but started thinking she was pretty. So in this case it wasn't that her confidence made her attractive, because everyone started disliking her personality.

ReputationRep:
    Lady gaga does this very well

Lady gaga does this very well
    Do people think Lady Gaga is stunning?? I had no idea.

ReputationRep:
    Depends. Humour would be more attractive than confidence by a long shot to me. So, personally speaking, wouldn't make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutta!)
    There is always one that seems to ATTRACT every guys attention
    haha, very true.

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine the confidence in itself is an attractive trait - although only to an extent. I think being confident in yourself can make people stop and look again, whereas being shy and quiet can make you fade into the background even if you are pretty.

ReputationRep:
    she probs seems better looking cos shes confidence. guys tend to not like gals who tell them they look bad - if you say 'my nose is too big' n that it draws attention to it. she does sound pretty cocky tho lol i think that kinda confidence is a rare and good thing to have, but maybe on a smaller scale

I would imagine the confidence in itself is an attractive trait - although only to an extent. I think being confident in yourself can make people stop and look again, whereas being shy and quiet can make you fade into the background even if you are pretty.
    I agree, but in this situation her arrogance has made the guys start to dislike her personality but start to like her looks. Do you think they are subconsciously attracted to personality now that she's arrogant, even though they think they dislike her personality?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.