Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have 2 sketchbooks to work on, one on cultures and one on portraiture. I was wondering if anybody has any ideas on how to make my sketchbooks more interesting? Maybe different layouts? Or ideas on content?

Btw, I don't think I'd be able to get many other materials...

Thanks

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Do these sketchbooks have to follow any guidelines? And what are your ideas already? Just more details to work with, really

ReputationRep:
    print any writing onto acetate and then you can stick it over stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JecAL)
    Do these sketchbooks have to follow any guidelines? And what are your ideas already? Just more details to work with, really
    Hmm not really... it's GCSE Art and I'm in Year 9, and I just have to get a lot of work that's related to Cultures or Portraiture for each of the A4 sketch books

(Original post by jenny28)
    print any writing onto acetate and then you can stick it over stuff?
    That's an amazing idea, I'd really love to do that, but the only thing is that it might be hard for me to get acetate and stuff. Not only because of availability but because of my lack of money. Great idea though, thanks =]

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=NJade]Hmm not really... it's GCSE Art and I'm in Year 9, and I just have to get a lot of work that's related to Cultures or Portraiture for each of the A4 sketch books

Cultures, you could go on a theme that we are now "a global village" i.e. most societies are now so mainstream that are we losing culture?

Portraiture has so much to work with, believe it or not. For my a-level art exam, although i used an arm, i had a monotone woman's hand, letting an apple drop (i painted it in red with the words of genesis) then i had 'paradise comes at a price'. I was depicting the fall of adam and eve, the womans hand monotone to show the death pf paradise.
    But the bible hold many conflicting ideas, if you're into that.

But for year nine art, i would be tempted to work with granite pencils (cheap and effective) or grey, white, black and greyish blue pencils to blend together. Very pretty when blended together
    And as for an idea, you could use the contors as a 'map' to put writing on? A theme could be the obsession with beauty?

http://img.maniadb.com/images/album/178/178895_1_f.jpg
    This picture is beautiful; maybe this can inspire you? I know its a single cover, but the way the colour has been used to follow the shape of the face is beautiful

I think it is important that you are inspired by this threat instead of directly 'stealing' an idea, so you can develop it to how you want to.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=JecAL]
    (Original post by NJade)
    Hmm not really... it's GCSE Art and I'm in Year 9, and I just have to get a lot of work that's related to Cultures or Portraiture for each of the A4 sketch books
    (Original post by NJade)

Cultures, you could go on a theme that we are now "a global village" i.e. most societies are now so mainstream that are we losing culture?

Portraiture has so much to work with, believe it or not. For my a-level art exam, although i used an arm, i had a monotone woman's hand, letting an apple drop (i painted it in red with the words of genesis) then i had 'paradise comes at a price'. I was depicting the fall of adam and eve, the womans hand monotone to show the death pf paradise.
    But the bible hold many conflicting ideas, if you're into that.

But for year nine art, i would be tempted to work with granite pencils (cheap and effective) or grey, white, black and greyish blue pencils to blend together. Very pretty when blended together
    And as for an idea, you could use the contors as a 'map' to put writing on? A theme could be the obsession with beauty?

http://img.maniadb.com/images/album/178/178895_1_f.jpg
    This picture is beautiful; maybe this can inspire you? I know its a single cover, but the way the colour has been used to follow the shape of the face is beautiful

I think it is important that you are inspired by this threat instead of directly 'stealing' an idea, so you can develop it to how you want to.

Hope this helps
    Thanks so much for this, I've just spent ages looking at that picture, it's very beautiful =] I understand what you mean about using this thread to get inspired and not to steal ideas and I already feel like I have something to work on now, something to think about, somewhere to start without having to spend money on loads of different materials to produce something good. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=NJade]
    (Original post by JecAL)
    [B]

Thanks so much for this, I've just spent ages looking at that picture, it's very beautiful =] I understand what you mean about using this thread to get inspired and not to steal ideas and I already feel like I have something to work on now, something to think about, somewhere to start without having to spend money on loads of different materials to produce something good. Thank you

No problem!
    Btw it's also important to include artist's in your work (biography, details of chosen image, why you like it and how it connects to your work)
    And it doesn't even have to be an artist. It could be an art movement, and yes, even that front cover of that single! (It's a song by Muse called Glorious if u didnt know. The song means in believing in whatever; hope. Faith eventually brings him to be glorious)
    I think that being inspired by songs can have more effect in your creativity--just plug in your fave tunes and grab a pen and notepad!

ReputationRep:
    Btw i have no idea why that quote says its from me?????

ReputationRep:
    I :heart: sketchbooks!

Check through these websites for lots of different ideas!

http://www.drumcroon.org.uk/Sketchbooks/sketch.html

http://www.accessart.org.uk/sketchbook/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.