Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it morally wrong to get with your friend's ex? watch

Announcements

Imagine a couple (A and B) had been going out for just over two years. They split on fairly amicable terms.

Three months later, the boy A is seeing his B's friend, C. C and B aren't best friends but they have been in each other's close friendship groups all the way through school and into the first year of uni.

A couple of months after that A and C are a fully-fledged "couple".

Do you think this is wrong?

ReputationRep:
    The answer is 4(AD-X)

ReputationRep:
    It's a grey area. It all depends on how the middle person feels.

ReputationRep:
    No, but it's only polite if you talk to your friend about it first, and make your decision based on that.

ReputationRep:
    No. 3 months is a long enough time to move on and forget about it. I'd talk to the other person about it though.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't do it unless the friend was okay with it. Or I wasn't very good friends with them.

ReputationRep:
    Too much A, B and C for me, tbh. Confused me.
    But I'd say it's "wrong" of my friend to see my ex (especially after spending 2 years with him). I wouldn't be able to cope seeing him or hearing stories about him, as I usually break contacts with my exes.

On the other hand, me and my ex have broken up so he's allowed to see whoever he wants. And according to OP's story, the two friends don't seem to be to close, so yes?

ReputationRep:
    erm it's not the best situation and personally i wouldn't do it, but if B is ok with it, then i guess they're's not really a problem but i still think even if they said yes, they wouldn't be happy about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BitOfAnAlchy)
    No. 3 months is a long enough time to move on and forget about it. I'd talk to the other person about it though.
    Sarcasm, or maybe you've never really felt for a girl. 3 months is bugger all time to "move on and forget about it".

ReputationRep:
    usually, its a no-go situation.

depends how the one in the middle feels.

if it were me, i would disapprove.

it is just, usually, WRONG.

ReputationRep:
    its not wrong ive done it before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Sarcasm, or maybe you've never really felt for a girl. 3 months is bugger all time to "move on and forget about it".
    I have really felt for a girl before, but i accepted we werent gunna get back together and moved on. Maybe it's just easier for me. Meh.

ReputationRep:
    Morality aside, its harder work than life should be.

All these ethical issues in your head, worrying about osing a friend, the guilt complex with the ex, the difficulties you might have with each others social circles. ergh.

Or the choice of the other millions of the opposite sex in this country.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's "morally wrong" but it can cause conflict.
    You just need to make sure the friend doesn't have major problems with it, and if they do be prepared to talk things through with them.

Worst case scenario is that there is a permanant fall out, but hopefully the friend will be mature and wise enough to accept it.

ReputationRep:
    Which one are you out of interest, B or C?
    It's difficult, personally I don't think theres a strict rule that applies to all situations, I know some people will say "it is always wrong to go out with a friend's ex".
    I went out with a guy for about 3 months (not long, it wasn't massively serious), but he broke up with me and I was fairly gutted (more about the rejection than actually him if you know what I mean). Fast forward a few months and a good friend of mine starts dating him- she never asked me, but I didn't care. I don't think just the amount of time a couple were together matters, I think also how they broke up, how much time has passed etc, how the other person feels!

ReputationRep:
    Well there are 2 ways to look at it.
    If A and C (?) aren't close friends then really, it shouldn't matter. It's a small world and people meet eachother. I take it C knew that A dated B and technically C should ask BUT it's also none of A's buisness any more. B can do what and who he likes. And If C did ask and A said no, i'd still say that C could date B because A has no say in the matter.
    If A and C were very close friends, the perameters are different, but as it stands it's not morally wrong.
    ALTHOUGH apparently it takes 6 months for your mouth to truly get rid of someone elses saliva, so as long as C doesn't mind technically snogging A.... :P

(ahem, i hope you followed that. maybe next time do fake names...)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is morally wrong. You're betraying your friend and she can no longer trust you. And I bet that there are about a million other threads with the same question.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.