Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Social Anxiety Disorder - do you have it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you have this, or know anybody who does?

Social anxiety is the fear of social situations and the interaction with other people that can automatically bring on feelings of self-consciousness, judgment, evaluation, and inferiority.

Put another way, social anxiety is the fear and anxiety of being judged and evaluated negatively by other people, leading to feelings of inadequacy, embarrassment, humiliation, and depression.

If a person usually becomes anxious in social situations, but seems fine when they are alone, then "social anxiety" may be the problem.
    Symptoms of Social Anxiety Disorder

People with social anxiety disorder usually experience significant emotional distress in the following situations:

Being introduced to other people

Being teased or criticized

Being the center of attention

Being watched while doing something

Meeting people in authority ("important people")

Most social encounters, especially with strangers

Going around the room (or table) in a circle and having to say something

Interpersonal relationships, whether friendships or romantic

This list is certainly not a complete list of symptoms -- other feelings have been associated with social anxiety as well.

The physiological manifestations that accompany social anxiety may include intense fear, racing heart, turning red or blushing, excessive sweating, dry throat and mouth, trembling, swallowing with difficulty, and muscle twitches, particularly about the face and neck.

Constant, intense anxiety that does not go away is the most common feature.

People with social anxiety disorder know that their anxiety is irrational and does not make "head" (i.e., cognitive) sense. Nevertheless, "knowing" something is not the same thing as "believing" and "feeling" something.

Thus, for people with social anxiety, thoughts and feelings of anxiety persist and show no signs of going away -- despite the fact that socially-anxious people "face their fears" every day of their lives.

Only the appropriate therapy works to alleviate social anxiety disorder, the largest anxiety disorder, and the one that few people know anything about.
    http://www.socialanxietyinstitute.org/define.html

I think I do, as I fit most of the symptoms. But I don't know if to talk to someone about it. Or am I just trying to 'label' myself when I'm just shy?

ReputationRep:
    Most of those symptoms fit me too. I seriously hope it's just stupid shyness that will eventually go away and not a disorder which will be harder to overcome.

ReputationRep:
    I've had it for all my life but I got diagnosed with it 2 years ago. If you feel you have it, you should talk to someone.

ReputationRep:
    No, not me. If you're really worried, see your GP and print out a sheet and see what they think.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do, although with copious amounts of CBT I've seen a vast improvement in my willingness to try new things. I've stopped the avoidance - it's the avoidance that keeps SA going.

ReputationRep:
    I used to but I'm a lot better now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachykeen09)
    I've had it for all my life but I got diagnosed with it 2 years ago. If you feel you have it, you should talk to someone.
    lol, i read this and then i read your sig.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Yes I do, although with copious amounts of CBT I've seen a vast improvement in my willingness to try new things. I've stopped the avoidance - it's the avoidance that keeps SA going.

The first time I found this website about a month ago, I read it and cried whilst reading it as it was like reading my life.

I've always hated BIG social situations, and I just can't get involved with anyone due to the rest of the reasons.

Would you have to tell anyone to get CBT? (I have read up on it) I'd be scared of actually going.

One that's not listed but about telephones. I hate ringing anyone, and actually answering the phone. I'd rather text. When I'm asked to call someone I try and get out of it, or get someone else to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x y z)
    I used to but I'm a lot better now.
    How did you overcome it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finbar21)
    lol, i read this and then i read your sig.
    Surprisingly, I act very different online!

ReputationRep:
    I certainly used to be a lot like that, although it was never labelled (and never as extreme as some of the examples above). I still don't like meeting new people, I hate talking to people on the phone unless I know them very well, and I hate going into rooms and have everyone look at me (except in special situations, like on my wedding day ) I have improved vastly - I'm a teacher, and face my fears every working day - but I don't think it'll ever go away fully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachykeen09)
    Surprisingly, I act very different online!

Same here.

I can express myself through the internet but I can't in real life. It's just too embarassing and scary. I'd rather hide behind a screen and let my fingers do the talking.

Yes, and I'm male.

I hate it, I'm supposed to be confident and funny, not a quiet, red-faced, trembling idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_1)
    The first time I found this website about a month ago, I read it and cried whilst reading it as it was like reading my life.

I've always hated BIG social situations, and I just can't get involved with anyone due to the rest of the reasons.

Would you have to tell anyone to get CBT? (I have read up on it) I'd be scared of actually going.

One that's not listed but about telephones. I hate ringing anyone, and actually answering the phone. I'd rather text. When I'm asked to call someone I try and get out of it, or get someone else to.
    Yeah, phones are a huge problem for me, especially as I'm a data administrator so using the phone is going to become something I'll have to do. Luckily, my mum's my boss, so she sort of gets how hard it is for me to answer the phone so I'm let off most times and she puts it to voicemail.

CBT wise, I've done it myself. I bought a workbook set by Gillian Butler, and it's worked wonders for me in some areas. Answering the phone however, is still something I have a battle with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Yeah, phones are a huge problem for me, especially as I'm a data administrator so using the phone is going to become something I'll have to do. Luckily, my mum's my boss, so she sort of gets how hard it is for me to answer the phone so I'm let off most times and she puts it to voicemail.

CBT wise, I've done it myself. I bought a workbook set by Gillian Butler, and it's worked wonders for me in some areas. Answering the phone however, is still something I have a battle with.

Any advice on how you've got used to phones? Sometimes I can do it, other times I have to really psyche myself up, and literally force myself to phone. Deep breathing, and it feels like the scariest thing.

Is it a book to read or audiobook? I might have a look for that.

ReputationRep:
    Only when I have to make a phone call to someone I don't know. My heart goes mad, I feel dizzy, mouth goes dry and I start trembling. Joy.

I'm fine in social situations though, except for speaking in public.

ReputationRep:
    I think I do but I can't see a doctor about it because i'd feel stupid. Vicious circle.

ReputationRep:
    I think everybody has this to some extent, some more than others, but I think it's counter productive calling it a mental disorder.

ReputationRep:
    Those symptoms seem to have me summed up perfectly...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do. Pretty bad and nothing seems to be helping get rid of it.

Not looking forward to seminars at uni next year :afraid:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.