The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sounds quite human to me.

EDIT: What Absinth said.
yeah, I've always been pretty damn shy. i force myself into situations where i have to talk and I can't be shy. Like I've recently moved house, so I don't know anyone, but I got a job and have met loads of people, and in the job I have to talk to loads of complete strangers. Also the move to uni in September will involve meeting new people and being more confident and the career i want afterwards isn't really for shy people:biggrin:
According to that list I do
Reply 23
I sometimes worry that I might start to hate myself.
Reply 24
Heather_1
Do you have this, or know anybody who does?

http://www.socialanxietyinstitute.org/define.html

I think I do, as I fit most of the symptoms. But I don't know if to talk to someone about it. Or am I just trying to 'label' myself when I'm just shy?

yes! i definitely think i have it... i can't even walk across a crowded room without feeling embarrassed!
Reply 25
Oh for christ sake - this applies to pretty much everyone.

This is just fear-mongering. I'm surprised you didn't have an advert for a ÂŁ9.99 pill that can cure it.

Most people get a bit self-conscious in social situations and feel like they're being judged. Especially on nights out. If it gets to the point were it causes problems - panic attacks, trembling etc. THAT'S WHEN IT'S AN ANXIETY DISORDER!
Reply 26
crap, i fit most of these to a certain extent.
Heather_1
Any advice on how you've got used to phones? Sometimes I can do it, other times I have to really psyche myself up, and literally force myself to phone. Deep breathing, and it feels like the scariest thing.

Is it a book to read or audiobook? I might have a look for that.
It's a set of 3 workbooks to read and work through - to fill in answers etc.

I honestly haven't found a cure for my phone-phobia. I literally avoid them and have to force myself to pick it up even if it's one of my mates. If it doesn't have caller ID, then I don't answer it.
Reply 28
300mg
Oh for christ sake - this applies to pretty much everyone.

This is just fear-mongering. I'm surprised you didn't have an advert for a ÂŁ9.99 pill that can cure it.

Most people get a bit self-conscious in social situations and feel like they're being judged. Especially on nights out. If it gets to the point were it causes problems - panic attacks, trembling etc. THAT'S WHEN IT'S AN ANXIETY DISORDER!

I'm not trying to scare/fear monger.

It's not just a little self consciousness. It's when it stops you from doing things. Yes, some apply to everyone but I suppose it depends on how much. I mean do you have trouble picking up the phone? Feel scared like you were going to jump off a cliff? That's how it feels.
Reply 29
Ilora-Danon
It's a set of 3 workbooks to read and work through - to fill in answers etc.

I honestly haven't found a cure for my phone-phobia. I literally avoid them and have to force myself to pick it up even if it's one of my mates. If it doesn't have caller ID, then I don't answer it.

I suppose the usual answer is to keep trying, and try and use more. I never answer withheld numbers, and when answering/dialing my hand is always shaking, and my chest thumps. I leave calls to go to voicemail, and if it ends up being someone I know I always send a text.
Heather_1
I suppose the usual answer is to keep trying, and try and use more. I never answer withheld numbers, and when answering/dialing my hand is always shaking, and my chest thumps. I leave calls to go to voicemail, and if it ends up being someone I know I always send a text.
I've found writing a script is helpful if you have to make an enquiry of some sort. Like I'll phone to ask a question or phone student finance or something, and I'll write out what I want to say before I say it. It helps to calm my nerves and gets me more prepared for answering questions if I need to.

Haha, I bet I sound like a right whackjob right now.
Reply 31
Heather_1
I'm not trying to scare/fear monger.

It's not just a little self consciousness. It's when it stops you from doing things. Yes, some apply to everyone but I suppose it depends on how much. I mean do you have trouble picking up the phone? Feel scared like you were going to jump off a cliff? That's how it feels.

Maybe in your case it is a disorder but those "symptoms" are so common that you could lump most people with the disorder.

When I go out shopping I sometimes feel a little self-conscious. I sometimes wonder if I'm sitting up straight at restaurants in case anyone is looking at me. The list of symptoms doesn't go far enough to rule out normal human behaviour.
Ilora-Danon
I've found writing a script is helpful if you have to make an enquiry of some sort. Like I'll phone to ask a question or phone student finance or something, and I'll write out what I want to say before I say it. It helps to calm my nerves and gets me more prepared for answering questions if I need to.

Not at all, I've done this in the past too - it helps you remember things you might forget to ask as well as calming nerves :smile:
Poppy_Ki
yes! i definitely think i have it... i can't even walk across a crowded room without feeling embarrassed!

Practise your swagger.

I have many of these symptoms - however they all seem to stem from excessive self-conscious and low self-esteem.

However, I love public speaking; the slightly-RP South-East England accent is so smexy.
Reply 34
Ilora-Danon

That's actually a good idea. Taking your mind off the call and concentrating on what you say.

You don't sound a whackjob, it's nice to hear someone else have the same problem. Most of my friends think it's silly the fact I'm scared of a phone.
Reply 35
K the Failure
Practise your swagger.

I have many of these symptoms - however they all seem to stem from excessive self-conscious and low self-esteem.

However, I love public speaking; the slightly-RP South-East England accent is so smexy.

lol.. i thin i have the lowest self-esteem in the world and the thought of public speaking makes my head spin..
Reply 36
Poppy_Ki
lol.. i thin i have the lowest self-esteem in the world and the thought of public speaking makes my head spin..

Public speaking just makes me turn into goo. I just stand there going red, staring at the floor, just wanting all the eyes to look away, and me to just hide on the floor.
Heather_1
Public speaking just makes me turn into goo. I just stand there going red, staring at the floor, just wanting all the eyes to look away, and me to just hide on the floor.

Awww I'm the same :hugs:
Reply 38
Think I do, i avoid social situations if I can. Not as bad as I used to be, sorta grown out (hopefully) of my panic attacks :]
Reply 39
thatrollingstone
How did you overcome it?

It just went away. I started to take life less seriously and realised it doesn't really matter what other people think of you. There are always going to be people odder than you.

Latest

Trending

Trending