Turn on thread page Beta

Social Anxiety Disorder - do you have it? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romeos*****)
    I had low self esteem for years and it's still not fabulous but from personal experience I would always tell anyone to go for it.

Doing something that scares you is scary as hell and sometimes it goes as badly as you predicted and worried it would. But by hiding away in a little shell you will never get any happier, life's experiences will pass you by and you'll feel worse for always being the one who stayed in and never took a chance.

You sound exactly like a friend of mine.

I know it's what I should do, just don't have the confidence or the oomph to try.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly yes =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_1)
    You sound exactly like a friend of mine.

I know it's what I should do, just don't have the confidence or the oomph to try.
    I didn't at first and some days I still don't but honestly you'll never get the confidence if you don't start. I used to put it off thinking that as I got older I'd change but you have to change yourself. I hate how I sound like an american infomercial. But **** it, i'd rather go to sleep knowing I've done something scary whatever the outcome than stay in my unhappy un-comfort zone.

Have some oomph :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I think I have this. Mine isn't general though, but specific.

I can be a social butterfly at times, but in other circumstances (and there's a trend in them, I;ve ntoiced), I'm pretty much socially crippled. I just have a paralysing fear that everything I say and do will be recieved badly, and tend to overanalyse conversations and my "performance", whereby in my head, I've almost always done a terrible job.

I really do hate it as alot of the time when I go to camps and the suchlike, I'm left being the only one by the end of it that knows no-one, and that few people know the actual name of.

Meh. C'est la vie *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voudreau)
    To everyone on this thread :console:
    yes yes indeed

i never used to have the symtoms listed, before as i was a quite a loud and vibrant character but ever since i was bullyed i feel as if i have this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romeos*****)
    I didn't at first and some days I still don't but honestly you'll never get the confidence if you don't start. I used to put it off thinking that as I got older I'd change but you have to change yourself. I hate how I sound like an american infomercial. But **** it, i'd rather go to sleep knowing I've done something scary whatever the outcome than stay in my unhappy un-comfort zone.

Have some oomph :yes:
    you've given me the motivation,, i just hope it lasts long enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_1)
    Do you have this, or know anybody who does?

http://www.socialanxietyinstitute.org/define.html

I think I do, as I fit most of the symptoms. But I don't know if to talk to someone about it. Or am I just trying to 'label' myself when I'm just shy?
    you just described me perfectly. =[

edit: the whole first post

ReputationRep:
    it feels nice to kno that i am not alone in this struggle in my life...

ReputationRep:
    im jus worried about uni and if i'll be able to cope?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMaths)
    you've given me the motivation,, i just hope it lasts long enough
    Make it last long enough! It won't be perfect but you have to try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMaths)
    yes yes indeed

i never used to have the symtoms listed, before as i was a quite a loud and vibrant character but ever since i was bullyed i feel as if i have this.
    I do think people should think twice about labeling themselves though. I say I have felt like this at times but most people would (in my opinion) say that im one of the more confident people that they know.

It's frustrating because I know how you feel but if i tell you you will get over it I know you won't believe me. It's cliche because people one person will say it to someone else and that person will think "**** off, it'll always be like this". Then that person gets older/gets over it and gives someone else that advice and they too won't believe it. It's not social anxiety, it's life.

Trust me, when I say you will be fine if you just stick with it and don't give up. Push your comfort zone a little every day.

ReputationRep:
    i seem to be fine when it's just one-on-one with another person - almost as if, if they don't like you - what are they gonna do? turn around and have their back at you? but if it's more than one, or a group, i can pretty much be practically mute - and don't say anything, just be an observer and let other people carry conversations and funny banter. in a way i quite like that now, i like just being on the 'outside' (yet still sitting around a table etc.), but then i worry terribly how people will perceive me when i'm being 'like this'. quite a few times my flatmates would be "are you alright adam?" when i've been quite quiet - to me i wasn't nervous, i was just 'being'. but i do hate how i physically can't speak up in this more-than-one social situations - either i can't think what to say, or i can't think how to re-phrase in my mind so it's shorter so i won't mumble my words. i was i was all kinds of things but here i am up at 2 am trying to wonder what to do with my life, when i have no friends back home (i'm at uni for most of the year), because i made basically no friends at school - and the one good friend i had moved to plymouth and i don't get to see him so often. it's really hard to meet people in a town when you have *no-one* to call, no-one to text, no-one to msn and no-one to see about doing something. anything. i just sometimes wander around town on a day and see all the different young people - some are together, some are on their own, and wonder how i could meet them some of them. but given that i have no-one to meet people through, it seems pretty fruitless to even worry about that. uni isn't that much better in any case, i don't have a house for next year and missed the deadline for halls when i thought i would be able to solve this problem - obviously the uni won't let me be homeless but now i see the people i do know at uni all settling into their new houses and i'm just stuck home (with no-way to get back to uni) and knowing no-one.

ReputationRep:
    i feel like everyone stares at me when I go out and I hate it so instead of enjoying my day out I have to wonder what the hell is wrong with me. I too have a phobia of phones mainly because I don't want to sound like a total prat and humiliate myself which then follows hours of :facepalm: .

It's the judgment side, I don't want people to think I'm an idiot (most of all) so I basically avoid situations where this might occur which basically means avoiding places with loads of people. My ultimate aim is to attain the unattainable which is perfection. Everything I feel has to be perfect otherwise my day is ruined. If my skin/complexion/hair/body is out of place i usually find it very hard to go out that day which has resulted in many summers wasted.

I also see me self as way too apologetic, for some reason I apologize when someone steps on my foot or barges into me, I'm really pathetic :lolwut: . It's as if I'm trying to get approval from everyone that I'm really a nice guy and I won't bite you however at the same time I wish everyone would just leave me alone. I don't stare at you so the why the **** are you looking at me (that sort of mentality)

At a time I actually was feeling like I was in the Truman show because my paranoia had gone AWOL.

I don't what will cure this (pills are my hope, none of that counseling trash), my parents are generally dismissive of my anxiety but they do not know how it feels, just one day if they could experience it .......

ReputationRep:
    I used to have this slightly for a few years (between 15-18 y/o - I'm 22 now). It's a genuine anxiety disorder, not just shyness. It was weird because I was confident & happy at the same time, but then I got major anxiety in certain situations, like when making any kind of phone call. I actually like being shy and was always fine around friends, but it's strange how I couldn't make phone calls whatsoever

Anyway it went away a lot when I started university. But the thing which cured it almost completely was meditation/yoga (the only time I still get it now is sometimes when making phone-calls)

I really advise doing 20 minutes mindfulness meditation a day (it kills anxiety, and also helps you in lots of different ways). Learning to meditate is hard . But it's addictive once you get into it. If you get good enough at meditation, it will definitely reduce any kind of anxiety

this is my favourite book on meditation http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practising-P...8401529&sr=8-2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    I think everybody has this to some extent, some more than others, but I think it's counter productive calling it a mental disorder.
    Which is why it's considered a disorder when people have the traits at their most extreme. That's what a disorder is. Just because alot of people exhibit some traits of it, it doesn't mean they have a disorder.

Again, this is why it's called a personality disorder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yes, and I'm male.

I hate it, I'm supposed to be confident and funny, not a quiet, red-faced, trembling idiot.
    I get pretty charmed by quiet, red-faced trembling idiots..:o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    do you think by changing environment like country. I will completely get over it?
    if someone had a similar situation let me know

It won't really help imo. I moved over seas (tried to change myself/start fresh) and it made it 10x worse as you need to get used to lots of people and in some cases cultures...doesn't help that I'm the only one in the school with an american accent in England making me stand out more...

yes it might force you into getting sociable or it could cause you to withdraw...double edged sword really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    i feel like everyone stares at me when I go out and I hate it so instead of enjoying my day out I have to wonder what the hell is wrong with me. I too have a phobia of phones mainly because I don't want to sound like a total prat and humiliate myself which then follows hours of :facepalm: .

It's the judgment side, I don't want people to think I'm an idiot (most of all) so I basically avoid situations where this might occur which basically means avoiding places with loads of people. My ultimate aim is to attain the unattainable which is perfection. Everything I feel has to be perfect otherwise my day is ruined. If my skin/complexion/hair/body is out of place i usually find it very hard to go out that day which has resulted in many summers wasted.

I also see me self as way too apologetic, for some reason I apologize when someone steps on my foot or barges into me, I'm really pathetic :lolwut: . It's as if I'm trying to get approval from everyone that I'm really a nice guy and I won't bite you however at the same time I wish everyone would just leave me alone. I don't stare at you so the why the **** are you looking at me (that sort of mentality)

At a time I actually was feeling like I was in the Truman show because my paranoia had gone AWOL.

I don't what will cure this (pills are my hope, none of that counseling trash), my parents are generally dismissive of my anxiety but they do not know how it feels, just one day if they could experience it .......
    I'm exactly the same...friends tell me not to apologize all the time and then I end up doing it...lately I've been apologizing when someone cuts in front of me or to someone I walk to closely to and then they say not to apologize it was their fault and I say it again...always the last out of class as I don't want to cut people off...sucks...

same on the approval mentality thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)

This is me to a T, I was talking to a friend and said I was sorry. And the reply was 'Why you sorry again?'. I'm always saying sorry when it's not my fault or I haven't done anything. And always find myself apologizing on behalf of other people, when they should be doing it.

I want people to like me & acknowledge me, but when they do, it's why are you speaking to me, you don't like me, why don't you just go away. I push them away by feeling uncomfortable, and ignoring them. I don't want to but feel compelled to do so.

ReputationRep:
    I have internet anxiety.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.