Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Social Anxiety Disorder - do you have it? Watch

I have low self esteem, But sometime when i'm out with my dad he can make me feel so embarrassed because he starts acting the snob. Even to people he doesn't know. Does anyone else have this problem with there dad or mom ?? its so embarrassing to be there and no able to talk and be confident !

I have become a bit like this whilst being at uni. Mostly due to the people i have been around, they made me feel really unincluded. So now i get a bit anxious of social situations where i am not familiar with anyone or many people. Im fine with a big group of friends or a party where i know everyone though. I don;t think i have social anxiety disorder though, not enough to warrant help. I just need to tell myself to stop being a pussy and suck it up.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I have become a bit like this whilst being at uni. Mostly due to the people i have been around, they made me feel really unincluded. So now i get a bit anxious of social situations where i am not familiar with anyone or many people. Im fine with a big group of friends or a party where i know everyone though. I don;t think i have social anxiety disorder though, not enough to warrant help. I just need to tell myself to stop being a pussy and suck it up.
    i think yes.u mean like when your friends are so ******* boring that they just don't talk or laugh or anything htey don't help you get over ur problem?
    i hope i will meet new funny people who I will actually enjoy haging out with rather than a snob who the only thing she is doing is talking about her fugly boyfriend,oh btw i used to be the only one she hung out with at uni,now she will probably be by herself now heh
    god I am so happy i change uni..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_1)
    The first time I found this website about a month ago, I read it and cried whilst reading it as it was like reading my life.

I've always hated BIG social situations, and I just can't get involved with anyone due to the rest of the reasons.

Would you have to tell anyone to get CBT? (I have read up on it) I'd be scared of actually going.

One that's not listed but about telephones. I hate ringing anyone, and actually answering the phone. I'd rather text. When I'm asked to call someone I try and get out of it, or get someone else to.
    :itsme: I have social anxiety disorder; have had it for years. :hugs:

I also have huge difficulties with initiating phone conversations, especially about really important things such as Uni and finance stuff etc. Like you, I do anything to try to avoid it and try to get my parents or someone else to call them or answer the phone! I'd rather I can spend hours psyching myself up trying to gather some confidence to pick up the phone and do it. One thing I do is make a list of bullet-points of things to cover on the phone or when I go to see someone in person. This doesn't really help with the anxiety so much really- it just helps to prevent my mind from going blank forgetting what to say and so helps as a prompt. Of course, if I'm so dizzy and nauseated with social anxiety that my vision blurs then this is rather handicapped.:woo:

(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    CBT wise, I've done it myself. I bought a workbook set by Gillian Butler, and it's worked wonders for me in some areas. Answering the phone however, is still something I have a battle with.
    I have the workbook set on Overcoming Social Anxiety by Gillian Butler too.:five: Have had them for a while now but am yet to make headway with them though I know I shouldas I've read most of them over and it seems that it could really make a positive difference and change gradually into my life.:yes:

On another note, some SSRI antidepressants are also effective in the alleviation of this such as Sertraline, though this is best taken with CBT or would you believe it- some form of talking therapy.

whats CBT?

ReputationRep:
    CBT stands for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. It teaches you coping mechanisms for dealing with particular issues and re-trains your brain to think differently and more healthily. It's a set of tools you use to change the way you think so that you can overcome the issues you're struggling with - in this case, anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    whats CBT?
    Its Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogniti...vioral_therapy

ReputationRep:
    Maybe slightly..

Like 2 of those long list of symptoms apply to me..so I would guess the answer is no.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, not for me. I think I've eradicated all of them by now. The more social interaction you get, the less likely it'll affect you.

ReputationRep:
    i remember discovering this last year when i was doing this project for psychology and i was like wow..! it was scarily accurate for me ! i feel as if i'm not as bad as i was thanks to having a job but i definitly still feel many of the symptoms in social situations.. never been diagnosed as such.. have considered going to see someone about it but i just don't have the courage to do so..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    i feel like everyone stares at me when I go out and I hate it so instead of enjoying my day out I have to wonder what the hell is wrong with me. I too have a phobia of phones mainly because I don't want to sound like a total prat and humiliate myself which then follows hours of :facepalm: .

It's the judgment side, I don't want people to think I'm an idiot (most of all) so I basically avoid situations where this might occur which basically means avoiding places with loads of people. My ultimate aim is to attain the unattainable which is perfection. Everything I feel has to be perfect otherwise my day is ruined. If my skin/complexion/hair/body is out of place i usually find it very hard to go out that day which has resulted in many summers wasted.

I also see me self as way too apologetic, for some reason I apologize when someone steps on my foot or barges into me, I'm really pathetic :lolwut: . It's as if I'm trying to get approval from everyone that I'm really a nice guy and I won't bite you however at the same time I wish everyone would just leave me alone. I don't stare at you so the why the **** are you looking at me (that sort of mentality)

At a time I actually was feeling like I was in the Truman show because my paranoia had gone AWOL.

I don't what will cure this (pills are my hope, none of that counseling trash), my parents are generally dismissive of my anxiety but they do not know how it feels, just one day if they could experience it .......
    Lol im exactly the same - Apolagetic just for walking the wrong way, scared of phone calls, HATE parties, Id rather just be left alone all day and keep things perfect XD. I still dont think its a disorder though.

ReputationRep:
    I have low self esteem, But sometime when i'm out with my dad he can make me feel so embarrassed because he starts acting the snob. Even to people he doesn't know. Does anyone else have this problem with there dad or mom ?? its so embarrassing to be there and no able to talk and be confident !
    Yar. Sometimes seems like theyre really cocky and snobby walking around town, then I prefer to walk alone.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have it. Have always been kind of shy, but only recently has it evolved into this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    Nope, not for me. I think I've eradicated all of them by now. The more social interaction you get, the less likely it'll affect you.
    You think? Ugh, Since I'd say year 10/11 (I've just finished college now), I've been putting myself in new social situations; joining scouts, going to several different camps, going to my local youth group. tbh, things haven't got much better. I'm still anxious and introverted in these situations to this point a become socially paralyetic. I'm perfectly fine in education...I perform well academically and that gives me the confidence to talk to people around me, and just the envirmoent suits me. But otherwise, I'm just awful, and it really doesn't seem to be getting any better with effort :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s+lky)
    i remember discovering this last year when i was doing this project for psychology and i was like wow..! it was scarily accurate for me ! i feel as if i'm not as bad as i was thanks to having a job but i definitly still feel many of the symptoms in social situations.. never been diagnosed as such.. have considered going to see someone about it but i just don't have the courage to do so..
    how I discovered it probably wouldn't have if I didn't take Psychology. terribly bad timing though as the group before did a presentation on SA so I got more nervous when our group had to present (already was and that didn't help) that they would notice the symptoms and or say something...that was not a good day...

ReputationRep:
    probably

I made a topic about it without seeing this one.. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=977932

Can someone recommend me some books to get over this? I am pretty sure i have this Social Anxiety Disorder.. all the symptoms match up to me..

I made a topic about it without seeing this one.. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=977932

Can someone recommend me some books to get over this? I am pretty sure i have this Social Anxiety Disorder.. all the symptoms match up to me..
    Please recommend me some books which i can order through amazon to get rid of this disorder

I hope that one day I can go down the shops without thinking about people looking at me or judging me. i procrastinate so much when it comes to running errands because of sa

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.