Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Social Anxiety Disorder - do you have it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a mild case of it.. but I have a friend that has it rrrreally bad. Ive never met anyone else like him before, it's caused so many restrictions in his life, and not many people understand it. Its sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I made a topic about it without seeing this one.. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=977932

Can someone recommend me some books to get over this? I am pretty sure i have this Social Anxiety Disorder.. all the symptoms match up to me..

Someone earlier in the thread suggested this book, I'm looking at it and may order it. Gillian Butler

I've had a look around and I think I have APD.

APD?

Im pretty sure that i have social anxiety disorder. I look around in my class and im the most shy person in the whole class and i just simply cant do anything in social situations.. i just panic badly !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scarletwings92)
    how I discovered it probably wouldn't have if I didn't take Psychology. terribly bad timing though as the group before did a presentation on SA so I got more nervous when our group had to present (already was and that didn't help) that they would notice the symptoms and or say something...that was not a good day...
    HA ! exactly the same !

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me of does anyone else find it takes them about 10 or more minutes to get the courage up to open and or send e-mails? for some reason I can't bring my self to open and send right away I always get nervous that I will offend them when sending an e-mail...not really sure why i hesitate when opening them -_-

ReputationRep:
    I think loads of people have this atleast to some extent. I did i.e. when presenting to alot of people. Social situations I'm usually the loudest tbh - its just when for some reason feel inferior its a prob. I don't know why it a disorder, only in the extreme would i call it a disorder like many other thing e.g. sadness in the extreme is depression.

hmmm not really...the more you think bout it i guess the simular the qualities are but just gotta pretend your confident in most social situations which usually works even if ur feeling a bit embaressed/shy inside!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    APD?

Im pretty sure that i have social anxiety disorder. I look around in my class and im the most shy person in the whole class and i just simply cant do anything in social situations.. i just panic badly !!

APD -> Avoidant Personality Disorder

(Original post by Scarletwings92)
    Is it just me of does anyone else find it takes them about 10 or more minutes to get the courage up to open and or send e-mails? for some reason I can't bring my self to open and send right away I always get nervous that I will offend them when sending an e-mail...not really sure why i hesitate when opening them -_-
    Reading emails are fine for me, but once I send one, I worry did I say the right thing? Should I have sent it? They may take it the wrong way.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.