Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you get faster(100m) Watch

ReputationRep:
    im just wondering weather it is actually possible to gain a lot of speed by training or is it just a natural progession the older you get. In primary school i was always the fastest but as soon as i hit secondary i was just averaged speed compared to everyone else. This is due to more competiton as there are more people in seconday school but also i think i got slower. Im now in 6th form and i feel i have regained some of my old sprinting talents but reckon i can ran 100m in around 12secs flat and im 16 that is still not near the fastest people in my year but now i am recognised as being fast. I was just wondering weather there is anyway i could take half a second-to a second off my 100m time but training?

ReputationRep:
    I heard that if you bulk up your legs a bit that helps - supposedly if you do it too much then it is detrimental to your speed.

Sprint circuits.

ReputationRep:
    Learn technique, squats and deadlifts.

ReputationRep:
    technique plays a big role.

ReputationRep:
    you become black over night!

ReputationRep:
    lol im black already... Ghanian though, jamaican heritage would have been better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK)
    im just wondering weather it is actually possible to gain a lot of speed by training or is it just a natural progession the older you get. In primary school i was always the fastest but as soon as i hit secondary i was just averaged speed compared to everyone else. This is due to more competiton as there are more people in seconday school but also i think i got slower. Im now in 6th form and i feel i have regained some of my old sprinting talents but reckon i can ran 100m in around 12secs flat and im 16 that is still not near the fastest people in my year but now i am recognised as being fast. I was just wondering weather there is anyway i could take half a second-to a second off my 100m time but training?
    Okay mate, seeing as I'm an junior international runner, and has ran 10.66, when 100m isn't even my event. You might want to listen to me
    First, if you're that serious about it all, join a club and learn technique!
    Also, invest in a pair of spikes! Definitely will help!
    If you don't want to join a club, search the internet and youtube for technique help.
    Then, doing daily press ups and sit ups help core stability, which prevents injuries and DOES make you faster, especially at the start of the race.
    Then to work on power, find a steep hill, and do about 8x40m repetitions with a walk back recovery. This will do you no end of good.
    But get up the nearest track and begin training with other runners, because they are sure to help and drive you on competitively.

P.S, if you do join a club and your times are slower than 12 dead to begin with, don't worry. I don't know who timed you at this but it might not have been accurate. You can only trust timings that are either electronic or have been done by a professional. Definitely not by a schoolteacher/pupil :P

ReputationRep:
    technique is the first thing.
    then muscle im guessing

ReputationRep:
    I *think* :

- Fartlek/Intervals make you faster
    - Constant speed jogging etc. improves cardio

So the former. Also uphill sprints/parachute sprints/wearing a weighted vest may be ideas ... have a look.

ReputationRep:
    Try some isometric leg exercises with resistance bands.

ReputationRep:
    Drink The Essence of Usain Bolt. That old magical artifact.

ReputationRep:
    Join a club and learn proper technique, makes a world of difference, aaand you also find races to participate in.

ReputationRep:
    You need to be Jamaican. Brits are lazy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/8166011.stm

ReputationRep:
    3 things on my list of recommendations:

1) squats/deadlift - core training, and strength/power training for your muscles depending on how you go about it. you need the big legs to do the little distance.

2) HIIT. basic principle = Do distance intervals. where the distance is less than your total distance i.e. 70m. and then after each sprint, leave a 3-5 minute recovery. then repeat, do so several times.

3) overspeed training, two ways of doing this, running downhill, or running against a bungie rope increases stride length, increasing speed. not all too familiar with the exact way of doing it, so google is your friend.

4) (the secret option) flexibility. start doing some stretches and getting your legs all loose. again a stride length thing.

The biggest bit is technique, my sport science teach talked about technique and making your stride massive. you feel like a right **** doing it, but i'm the smallest person i know (5'7) and i can beat people a good 5 inches taller than me at a race. (long legs help)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoshifumu)
    3 things on my list of recommendations:

1) squats/deadlift - core training, and strength/power training for your muscles depending on how you go about it. you need the big legs to do the little distance.

2) HIIT. basic principle = Do distance intervals. where the distance is less than your total distance i.e. 70m. and then after each sprint, leave a 3-5 minute recovery. then repeat, do so several times.

3) overspeed training, two ways of doing this, running downhill, or running against a bungie rope increases stride length, increasing speed. not all too familiar with the exact way of doing it, so google is your friend.

4) (the secret option) flexibility. start doing some stretches and getting your legs all loose. again a stride length thing.

The biggest bit is technique, my sport science teach talked about technique and making your stride massive. you feel like a right **** doing it, but i'm the smallest person i know (5'7) and i can beat people a good 5 inches taller than me at a race. (long legs help)
    thanks for the advice im 5ft 7 as well what do you run the 100m in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK)
    thanks for the advice im 5ft 7 as well what do you run the 100m in?
    dunno. not bothered by the times, just that i can beat everyone else

ReputationRep:
    lol fair doos

ReputationRep:
    The key points for improving your power output, which would ultimately result in you being able to jump higher and run faster, are flexibility, strength, explosiveness and technique.

Flexibility is important because if your muscles are tight you won't be able to go through the full range of motion when you're running etc. The way you can improve here is doing static stretching more or less every day, just don't do any kind of static stretching prior to exercising as this will make the muscles relax and will result in power loss and possible injuries - you can do dynamic stretching here though.

For strength you should just follow a tried and tested training regime such as Starting Strength or Westside for Skinny *******s.

For explosiveness you should do some kind of plyometrics.

And for improving your technique you would probably have to seek out a trainer, by for instance joining a track team.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this is the age when you need to start hitting the gym and the core stability circuits to stay in the game.

Also worth recommending is: TIGHT CLOTHING. (I'm not kidding)
    Dont be sprinting in anything flappy

ReputationRep:
    Usually my thinking is if you want to be good at karate, you got to do karate...want to be good at driving, you got to drive.

Wouldn't the same principal applies to running 100m, the more you do it, the better you get. Practice makes perfect. Course you'll have to identify your weakness and improve on them by some workouts. Just thought i'd say this because the more i run on 100m, the more i know where i go wrong or where i'm best at. e.g. At the start or at the end. Good starting technique can be helpful.

Like playing tennis, Federer and Roddick were clearly challenging their serves.

Quote me if u must if u dont agree or agree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.