Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you get faster(100m) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2Av)
    Usually my thinking is if you want to be good at karate, you got to do karate...want to be good at driving, you got to drive.

Wouldn't the same principal applies to running 100m, the more you do it, the better you get. Practice makes perfect. Course you'll have to identify your weakness and improve on them by some workouts. Just thought i'd say this because the more i run on 100m, the more i know where i go wrong or where i'm best at. e.g. At the start or at the end. Good starting technique can be helpful.

Like playing tennis, Federer and Roddick were clearly challenging their serves.

Quote me if u must if u dont agree or agree.

i'm confused...

what has challenging serves got to do anything about it?

And the most likely thing is if you run over and over again, you stick with whats easier for you. this could be the wrong technique, and you'll just stay with this, and get used to it.

you're not going to suddenly have an epiphany and think, yes, i have to throw my weight forwards, while massively extending my leg at the knee and hip, aswell as the foot, to land on the ball, slight bounce, and then drive back off again.

Your just gunna run blindly with a stopwatch.

and just to say... federer and roddick both got pro training teaching them the proper technique, they didn't spend the first 20 years of their life figuring it out theirselves.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw72.htm

i know its bb..com but the training template for the untrained athlete provided in the following article seems like a pretty good routine. its obviously inspired or copied from charlie francis, who certainly knows what he's talking about. its quite a lot of work, which may be a problem. i suppose some workouts could be dropped but its still a sensible way of structuring your training.

fyi, no need to do resisted sprinting and overspeed work. or lots of plyometrics.

ReputationRep:
    just wundaring on the subject of the 100m, how much would being overweight effect running in the 100m???

when i say overweight i mean 15st 7 and 5ft 8,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evertn4lif)
    just wundaring on the subject of the 100m, how much would being overweight effect running in the 100m???

when i say overweight i mean 15st 7 and 5ft 8,
    dependent on body composition,if your overweight, but the overweight consists of muscle, not fat. it'd massively help (so you have a good load of muscle and a low bf% (below 15%)

but if you're just fat, it lowers the power:weight ratio, damaging your capability.

I'm gunna relate this to cars. The muscles in the body are like the engine in a car. they generate power. cars can produce anything from sub 100 bhp to 1000+ bhp, but this power is completely useless if it is left on its own. so the power is used to move something, in this case a car/body. lets say the car produces 500 bhp, and weighs 1 tonne. all 500 horses are used to move the weight of one tonne on a road, The power output of 500 is divided into the one tonne and in relevance is actually extremely high, and the car can move very fast. however replace the car with a 4 tonne van, and it becomes a different story. instead of being 500 horses shared through 1 tonne, they are now shared through 4 tonnes, gfiving 4 times the strain (in simple terms). The horses are limited to 500, so they CANNOT work any harder than they could in the 1 tonne car. as a result, same power to increased weight, causes a slower movement, much slower.

So in relevance, if you are fat and have mediocre muscles, the power:weight ratio is fairly ****** and it can be detrimental to your speed and acceleration.

so in short terms, it would massively affect your 100m sprint speed.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.