Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Platonic relationshippies Watch

• View Poll Results: Have YOU ever had a platonic relationshippy?
    Yess
    51.35%
    Nooo
    48.65%

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever had a platonic relationshippy?

How would you go about doing so?

I was curious about this and was wondering whether it is convenient if the partner lives in a city quite far away and you only get to meet say 3 or 4 times in a year.

Is anybody here in such a partnership?

Poll attachéd.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get this anymore. :o:

splat.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand.
    Do you just mean a close friendship with someone of the opposite sex?

ReputationRep:
    Are platonic relationships not relationships between friends with no sexual attachments/desire, where the two parties just care about each other lots?

ReputationRep:
    What is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Are platonic relationships not relationships between friends with no sexual attachments/desire, where the two parties just care about each other lots?
    Well the two people fancy each other but they don't engage in sexual activity. I think they like each other on a level of fondness that is more than mere friendship though.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    Have you ever had a platonic relationshippy?

How would you go about doing so?

I was curious about this and was wondering whether it is convenient if the partner lives in a city quite far away and you only get to meet say 3 or 4 times in a year.

Is anybody here in such a partnership?

Poll attachéd.

squish.
    Nah, not really.

SplishySplash.

ReputationRep:
    Never had a close friendship w/anyone, so no...

ReputationRep:
    I guess I'm in one...?

Platonic just means nonsexual :lolwut:

Yes, i have platonic relationships with people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Platonic just means nonsexual :lolwut:

Yes, i have platonic relationships with people.
    I think he means having a platonic relationship with a bf/gf.

Actually, I'm confused myself now :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Well the two people fancy each other but they don't engage in sexual activity. I think they like each other on a level of fondness that is more than mere friendship though.

squish.

Thats not a platonic relationship.

Platonic relationship is that which you have between friends and family.

(Original post by Ladipidoo)
    I think he means having a platonic relationship with a bf/gf.

Actually, I'm confused myself now :lolwut:
    Unless you don't believe in even kissing your boyfriend or girlfriend (until marriage or whatever), then i don't think you can be platonic with them :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Unless you don't believe in even kissing your boyfriend or girlfriend (until marriage or whatever), then i don't think you can be platonic with them :woo:
    Can you not just do things like hugging etc. with a foybriend/firlgriend without kissing and snogging? That way it may be more appropriate.

squish.

Can you not just do things like hugging etc. with a foybriend/firlgriend without kissing and snogging? That way it may be more appropriate.

squish.
    Platonic means no sexual attraction. So if you both love or like each other and never act on, i'm pretty sure it's still platonic :unsure:

Dictionary.com tells me it's :

"purely spiritual; free from sensual desire, esp. in a relationship between two persons of the opposite sex."

ReputationRep:

squish.
    Why would you just hug your foybriend/firlgriend if you only get to see them 3-4 times a year? :headfire:

splat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladipidoo)
    Why would you just hug your foybriend/firlgriend if you only get to see them 3-4 times a year? :headfire:

splat.
    Well if they are very busy with stuff then it will be difficult. Often me and the other person may not get leave at the same time (I only have 20 days annual leave from work and much has to be taken round exam time).

Also, the other person could be somebody who you once had a professional relationshippy with like a headteacher so that is why a platonic one would be preferable so that cordiality is maintained.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    A platonic relationship is a friendship. OP hasn't grasped this.

(Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    A platonic relationship is a friendship. OP hasn't grasped this.
    I think we need to beat the OP with birch twigs to teach him a lesson.

Beat.

ReputationRep:
    I think we need to beat the OP with birch twigs to teach him a lesson.
    I quite agree. :yep:

Maybe less of the 'twig' ...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.