Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Platonic relationshippies watch

• View Poll Results: Have YOU ever had a platonic relationshippy?
    Yess
    51.35%
    Nooo
    48.65%

ReputationRep:
    +Rep just for using "relationshippies" which is hilarious :rofl:

Squish Squish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    A platonic relationship is a friendship. OP hasn't grasped this.
    Noooo!

A platonic relationshippy is different from a friendship because the two people actually fancy each other - they just don't engage in sexual activity like sex but hugging would be fine. They still like each other but other factors may prevent them from wanting to engage in sexual activity like low libido, negative judgment from broader society, safety, distance etc.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    Well if they are very busy with stuff then it will be difficult. Often me and the other person may not get leave at the same time (I only have 20 days annual leave from work and much has to be taken round exam time).

Also, the other person could be somebody who you once had a professional relationshippy with like a headteacher so that is why a platonic one would be preferable so that cordiality is maintained.

squish.
    I didn't think platonic relationships are just boyf/girlfs relationships without sexuality. More intimacy without attraction?

plop.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well...i've fancied people before and not acted on it. Does that count?

ReputationRep:
    Noooo!

A platonic relationshippy is different from a friendship because the two people actually fancy each other - they just don't engage in sexual activity like sex but hugging would be fine. They still like each other but other factors may prevent them from wanting to engage in sexual activity like low libido, negative judgment from broader society, safety, distance etc.

squish.
    This is your own, personal interpretation of a platonic relationship which finds origins in your imagination. It is not the correct definition alas.
    A platonic relationship is one where no sexual feelings are present i.e, a friendship.

I quite agree. :yep:

Maybe less of the 'twig' ...
    Baseball bat? :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Well if they are very busy with stuff then it will be difficult. Often me and the other person may not get leave at the same time (I only have 20 days annual leave from work and much has to be taken round exam time).

Also, the other person could be somebody who you once had a professional relationshippy with like a headteacher so that is why a platonic one would be preferable so that cordiality is maintained.

squish.
    :nothing: You're twisting the meaning of a 'platonic relationship' and using it in the wrong context.

splat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Baseball bat? :unsure:
    Tree-trunks? :whip:

ReputationRep:
    This is your own, personal interpretation of a platonic relationship which finds origins in your imagination. It is not the correct definition alas.
    A platonic relationship is one where no sexual feelings are present i.e, a friendship.
    OK, fine.

But then what would you call it if there was a person you fancied but you couldn't really imagine it on a sexual level but you thought their appearance was pleasing. Imagine the other person again could not commit on a sexual level but there was alot of fondness - what kind of relationshippy would that be?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Unless you don't believe in even kissing your boyfriend or girlfriend (until marriage or whatever), then i don't think you can be platonic with them :woo:
    There is couple, who are holey moley Christian that dont kiss before marriage let alone sex.

So they exist

ReputationRep:
    So basically ....the OP doesn't really know what is involved in a platonic relationship?

Splott Wollop

ReputationRep:
    OK, fine.

But then what would you call it if there was a person you fancied but you couldn't really imagine it on a sexual level but you thought their appearance was pleasing. Imagine the other person again could not commit on a sexual level but there was alot of fondness - what kind of relationshippy would that be?

squish.
    A close friendship with an attractive person?

You know, I'm not sure half these posts would be here if not for the fun of adding mockery in the form of onomatopoeic words to the end of them.

plop.

ReputationRep:
    OK, fine.

squish.
    This doesn't make sense. This whole thread doesn't make sense. I will 'squish' you in a minute.... :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    A platonic relationship is purely friendship and nothing else, no attraction.

Squash.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can fancy someone without wanting any form of physical contact or connection. The closest I can ever get to having a "platonic" relationship is going out with someone and not having sex. Other than that, physical touch plays a vital role in romance and relationships.

SplishySplash.

ReputationRep:
    Right, so you're talking about a relationship with someone you are sexually attracted to but don't want to have sex with?

I don't get it.

Tree-trunks? :whip:
    Assault rifles? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Platonic relationships are called friends.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I think I know what the OP means. I've been in love with a girl but I never really cared about having sex with her. Is this what you mean? If yes, then you've definitely got the wrong meaning of platonic.

splishysplash.

(Original post by Nutta!)
    There is couple, who are holey moley Christian that dont kiss before marriage let alone sex.

So they exist

Well no, because they don't intend to be just friends.

Just because they're waiting for some lameass fifteen minutes under the covers doesn't mean that they aren't waiting for some lameass fifteen minutes under the covers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.