Turn on thread page Beta

Barcelona? watch

ReputationRep:
    Im going to Barcelona at the beginning of september with a friend for 4 days and want to make the most of it. We have already looked at good places to visit during the day like all the Gaudi buildings and the Picasso museum, but we are students and obviously want to go partying at night.

Does anyone know of a good place to go out in the centre of Barcelona?

:yes:

ReputationRep:
    *subscribes* Never been there before but will be going in a couple of weeks and would like to find out the same thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duck and Cover)
    *subscribes* Never been there before but will be going in a couple of weeks and would like to find out the same thing!
    seems no one is listening :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I never went clubbing out there, but there are lots of bars etc so I'm sure you won't have trouble finding anywhere.. just be careful as it's not the safest city in the world.. lots of muggings etc, so try not to get too drunk and let your guard down at all!

ReputationRep:
    Is barcalona better than Manchester? Which is better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    Is this a football question? Im confused

ReputationRep:
    The Rough Guide has a fairly good commentary on all the clubs, and Barcelona in general.

ReputationRep:
    Barcelona is such a beautiful and complete city, the architectures of Gaudi, the picasso musemum, the food-Seafood paella!

Found that funny how late people having dinner there,say after 10pm, you will definitely need tapas to tide you over if you order paella which normally takes 30 minutes to cook. Eating out there is so cheap compare to other European countries. Just thinking of Tapas my mouth is dripping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CardiffMathsGeek)
    Is this a football question? Im confused
    no nothing to do with football, in terms of cities...

ReputationRep:
    Visit the Nou Camp

ReputationRep:
    Well I've been to the "Ramblas" in the centre of Barcelona and thought it was great! It had all the spanish versions of English high street shops in it aswell as shops like topshop and Zara etc. Be sure to jump on a tour bus. Its roughly 20 euros for two days and it takes yo all around Barcelona. It stops at many places such as museums, gaudi architecture, shopping places, the zoo etc and you can hop on and off as many times as you like =] You should also go on the cable cars, which you can stop at if you go on the bus tour. I did nothing else except shop and go sightseeing in the day really... But I enjoyed it lol! 4 days is enough to experience Barcelona tbh. Have fun!!

ReputationRep:
    ive been in both as a tourist, for me Barcelona kicked Manchesters ass...(not in footbaling terms)

i never went clubbing or partying though so cant help there....fwiw, i would recommend taking a day to visit the towns of Girona and Figueres to the north of Barcelona....lovely places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roryq)
    ive been in both as a tourist, for me Barcelona kicked Manchesters ass...(not in footbaling terms)

i never went clubbing or partying though so cant help there....fwiw, i would recommend taking a day to visit the towns of Girona and Figueres to the north of Barcelona....lovely places.
    really? How, in what way? What was it like? How was it better? I am asking...I never been to Barcalona...

ReputationRep:
    I was there on Wednesday and the Gaudi cathedral (don't know it's actual name) is the most amazing building I've ever seen. I didn't go in because nobody else had the cash (9 Euros for a student and it was the last day away) but you can go up really high.

ReputationRep:
    really? How, in what way? What was it like? How was it better? I am asking...I never been to Barcalona...
    generally speaking it was better because it was different, Manchester with all due respect is similar for the most part to most other big British cities...

Barcelona had the architecture (as OP mentioned Gaudi - Sagragda Familia etc), plenty of beautiful small coastal villages, towns near by (not Lloret del Mar :eek: ) some of the open spaces in the city were great and gave spectacular views, great walks, the food and the culture....las ramblas is fun....the weather obviously....

i could go on....but off the top of my head those kind of things....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roryq)
    generally speaking it was better because it was different, Manchester with all due respect is similar for the most part to most other big British cities...

Barcelona had the architecture (as OP mentioned Gaudi - Sagragda Familia etc), plenty of beautiful small coastal villages, towns near by (not Lloret del Mar :eek: ) some of the open spaces in the city were great and gave spectacular views, great walks, the food and the culture....las ramblas is fun....the weather obviously....

i could go on....but off the top of my head those kind of things....
    Alright I understand. I know what you mean. Everything is ***** here in Britain. haha

ReputationRep:
    Did a lot of partying in Barcelona.

If you go to Port Olimpic there's a few nice clubs. There's Shoko and Opium which are v laid back bars/clubs with a fairly upmarket clientele and steep prices to match. Just a short walk from them there's Razzmatazz which I think is only open on Friday and Saturday but is huge with 9 rooms and open till 6 - your standard superclub really. I think there's a few other big clubs in the city, Catwalk is a name that springs to mind.

Just near them as well there are plenty of bars that play music till 5am and have a very laid back atmosphere. The problem with Barcelona is that wherever you go, drinks seem to be expensive. We went to a bar that let us in with shorts and flip flops (Opium and Shoko rejected us) but they still charged 9 euros for a vodka and coke albeit it was a european serving of vodka which makes it a double by UK standards.

Just around the Ramblas too there are loads of bars in the side streets and in Placa Real that will charge similar prices. The people handing out leaflets may look annoying and appear to be con artists but some of them are very good. We got a shot and a mojito for 5 euros and the cocktail was really good - the bar itself was great too. Whatever you want really, you'll find it there. It's such a great city I can't begin to tell you how much fun you'll have.

Sightseeing and lazy Catalan lunches by day, great restaurants and partying by night is what I would advise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CardiffMathsGeek)
    Im going to Barcelona at the beginning of september with a friend for 4 days and want to make the most of it. We have already looked at good places to visit during the day like all the Gaudi buildings and the Picasso museum, but we are students and obviously want to go partying at night.

Does anyone know of a good place to go out in the centre of Barcelona?

:yes:

Very lucky lady indeed! Am tres jealous!

The above poster gave you useful info! I used to live in the Port Olympic or Vila Olímpica as they call it. It's a seafront area with lots of little bars trawling the port. Generally it's where the foreigners go out so lots of US music is played. However the prices match (easily 18 euros entry + drink for guys), but as you're a girl look out for the touters giving away free entry cards. The main club in the port area is called Catwalk. It's really ncie inside, gets full but not sweaty. Different rooms for different music tastes too.

Another good club if you're into RnB and old school is called Jamboree. Has a selection of rooms though, one playing 60s type music!

The Born area is really pretty, with lots of fab places to eat and small typical style bars. It's not far from the Ramblas - which by the way you should stay clear of at night. They are super expensive & pretty dangerous.

One other club I didn't go to but the Spanish people always rave about it Luz de Gas. I think though that they're pretty strict on entry there, so try not to look too touristy!

Lots of buses run throughout the night so don't worry about getting home.

ReputationRep:
    Just outta interest more than anything- do you all have good Spanish/catalan skills? Or did you find it okay getting round on the basics??

Ive got an au pair job atm and im about 30ish mins from Barcelona, will deffo take a trip at the weekend or something. I just hope i can get buses, trains etc. okay on my limited by growing grasp of the language!

I was told by my host family to watch out at night esp in small streets in Barcelona, the older area as people wait until they see people coming in small numbers round corners then try and steal stuff.. I know most major cities have pickpocketers but just a small bit of advice that il be following to be extra careful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexa123)
    Just outta interest more than anything- do you all have good Spanish/catalan skills? Or did you find it okay getting round on the basics??

Ive got an au pair job atm and im about 30ish mins from Barcelona, will deffo take a trip at the weekend or something. I just hope i can get buses, trains etc. okay on my limited by growing grasp of the language!

I was told by my host family to watch out at night esp in small streets in Barcelona, the older area as people wait until they see people coming in small numbers round corners then try and steal stuff.. I know most major cities have pickpocketers but just a small bit of advice that il be following to be extra careful.
    Plan where and how you're going before you set off. And don't go around the Ramblas area late at night (after 10pm) on your own. I never experienced anything bad, but I know several people who did.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.