Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When it comes to university, is not taking an English/Maths A level a disadvantage? Watch

ReputationRep:
    There are already a couple of threads about English Lit at AS but my question is a bit different.

Although I'm not bad at English I've never loved it, especially in the last two years during which it became my most hated subject.
    At the moment I've settled on English Lit, Spanish, RS and History for A level because maths was never my strong point.

I'm unsure about English and I want to change it for German, but when applying for good universities (Oxbridge, UCL, Durham etc) would it put me at a disadvantage if I didn't want to study solely MFLs in the future?

Are you referring to English lang. or lit.?

ReputationRep:
    edited post, sorry. i mean lit

ReputationRep:
    Very few courses specify specific subjects, so any courses in the Languages or Humanities area should be useful for the type of courses in which you are interested. Try to keep your options open at this stage, even though it can be useful to decide whether you are more interested in Science or Arts-based subjects. Cambridge has produced a list of subjects that it deems to provide 'less effective' preparation for its courses and it is usually a requirement to study English if you wanted to do a Literature based degree. As you are interested in Languages, you may be better off with German in this case.

ReputationRep:
    Taking either English Literature or Maths is desirable but not mandatory. The options you have chosen are very good.

ReputationRep:
    The only subjects I can think of where English Lit is asked for are English (obviously) and some unis like it for law. If you don't like it, don't take it, you won't do as well. Also German will be more useful if you do MFL at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeckyIsOptimistic)
    There are already a couple of threads about English Lit at AS but my question is a bit different.

Although I'm not bad at English I've never loved it, especially in the last two years during which it became my most hated subject.
    At the moment I've settled on English Lit, Spanish, RS and History for A level because maths was never my strong point.

I'm unsure about English and I want to change it for German, but when applying for good universities (Oxbridge, UCL, Durham etc) would it put me at a disadvantage if I didn't want to study solely MFLs in the future?
    Omg you've chosen exactly my subjects.
    For me though Spanish and History were the hardest (with RS and English being easier) so its important to have something to fall back on. Universities love languages at GCSE (more so at A-Level-some English degree courses you can't get onto without a MFL A-Level like Bristol, Nottingham etc) so unless you want to do something with languages at uni, I'd say pick English because German is bound to be your hardest subject. With English at least if you hit the AO targets, then you can't go wrong.

ReputationRep:
    At AS English becomes a love it or hate it subject. You really have to enjoy it to be motivated and do well in it. That's my experience anyway.

A few of my friends cannot wait to drop but I love it.

If you're having doubts already don't pursue it. I'd definitely go for German which would be far more advantageous to a MFL degree.

You certainly don't need English and Maths A level in the same way that you need GCSE.

Just be prepared for a lot of work MFLs are definitely heavy work loads- French was by far my heaviest work load last year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.