Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I mean it has alot of useful info but in some aspects its a complete fail.

For example it says that a Honda Civic type r 01-06 can be bought for 3,600 but even a 51 plate Civic with 110k miles is still selling for 5k! And it's supposed to a buyers market!

In fact some 02 plate ones are priced at 7k!!

I know that you get this will all cars but I swear it is alot worse with this civic type r. It's selling way above book value!!

ReputationRep:
    you cant predict it on a website such as parkers: you can get an 01 type r for 4k and under if you search hard enough and take some sacrifices, but car sales fluctuate. E46 M3's were going for 8k not to long ago, you'll be hard pressed to get a good example for that price now though.. something that you simply cant predict on a site that is updated as infrequently as parkers.

Edit: 5 minutes on autotrader has turned up type r's for £3.5k with miles.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was alright and fairly accurate when I used it some months ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    you cant predict it on a website such as parkers: you can get an 01 type r for 4k and under if you search hard enough and take some sacrifices, but car sales fluctuate. E46 M3's were going for 8k not to long ago, you'll be hard pressed to get a good example for that price now though.. something that you simply cant predict on a site that is updated as infrequently as parkers.

Edit: 5 minutes on autotrader has turned up type r's for £3.5k with miles.
    Thanks for the response Jaw. I've always found parkers to be on the mark like when i bought my vti or if you look at golf prices. It's just with this civic.

However, the ones turning up on auto trader that are around the 4k mark are all cat c/d or the engine needs "some attention." I'll have a look at what you saw.

I really want to get a type r now but I will not be ripped of and pay like 5-6k for a 9 year old civic. Doesn't make sense to me.

Btw do you have much experience of car auctions? Can you set like a minimum reserve price? As if I get a civic type r in the next few months then I would like to get rid of the vti but really quickly. Part Exchange prices are a joke and selling private is too much hassle.

edit-I want to get the AC one but mileage I don't mind if it's 100k lol as long as it's got good service history.

edit again lol-that one for 3.5k is the one in which the engine requires attention lol rest are 5k. Guess that's what I'll have to pay. Or at least 4.5k. Type S is going cheaper though, but only available in 5 door and it's ugly as hell.

ReputationRep:
    The best free site I've found which normally seems fairly accurate for pricing is WiseBuyers. Never found any of the other free ones to be even close to actual market prices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo Con)
    Thanks for the response Jaw. I've always found parkers to be on the mark like when i bought my vti or if you look at golf prices. It's just with this civic.

However, the ones turning up on auto trader that are around the 4k mark are all cat c/d or the engine needs "some attention." I'll have a look at what you saw.

I really want to get a type r now but I will not be ripped of and pay like 5-6k for a 9 year old civic. Doesn't make sense to me.

Btw do you have much experience of car auctions? Can you set like a minimum reserve price? As if I get a civic type r in the next few months then I would like to get rid of the vti but really quickly. Part Exchange prices are a joke and selling private is too much hassle.

edit-I want to get the AC one but mileage I don't mind if it's 100k lol as long as it's got good service history.

edit again lol-that one for 3.5k is the one in which the engine requires attention lol rest are 5k. Guess that's what I'll have to pay. Or at least 4.5k. Type S is going cheaper though, but only available in 5 door and it's ugly as hell.

where are you looking? I'll have another check but I searched nationally and found one in black for £3.5k which had no problems but 135k or so (which you'd expect at that price!)

For a quick sale, you'll probably do best just to lug it on ebay and pick up a grand and a half for it. if you put it on properly (best time, good wording etc) you'll have no problems, it's how I shift the majourity of my cars nowadays and generally don't have too many problems as long as I'm honest.

You can set a reserve on what you want for a few extra pennies, which saves someone getting too much of a bargain :laugh:

Personally I don't use the valuation sites, a car's worth what you're willing to pay at the end of the day, and I only come to that conclusion by a lot of shopping and elavuating and comparing the prices myself - theres too many different factors to go by those vague prices.. When I was shopping for a supra I found the prices suggested totally irrelevant really..

edit: the bugger's gone!! I wouldn't turn your nose up at a Cat D. £4k for a CTR, with 60k is a good deal, regardless of if it's had a prang as long as the repair is to a good standard. of course it depends how new it was when damaged - if when the car was new, it was quite a big prang to warrant the write off, if a year ago, it doesnt take much at all to Cat D a £5k car. You'll barely loose any money on it really as £4k is near the bottom end of the spectrum, with them hard to find at under that price, let alone with such low mileage. I was thinking about a ctr I saw a few roads from home, £4150, Cat D, 76k, written off due to some paint damage, resprayed a different colour from factory anyway, fsh etc. I hate hatchbacks generally, but for a balance of economy and fun, you'll be hard pressed to find a better comprimise

I write way too much when bored at work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    where are you looking? I'll have another check but I searched nationally and found one in black for £3.5k which had no problems but 135k or so (which you'd expect at that price!)

For a quick sale, you'll probably do best just to lug it on ebay and pick up a grand and a half for it. if you put it on properly (best time, good wording etc) you'll have no problems, it's how I shift the majourity of my cars nowadays and generally don't have too many problems as long as I'm honest.

You can set a reserve on what you want for a few extra pennies, which saves someone getting too much of a bargain :laugh:

Personally I don't use the valuation sites, a car's worth what you're willing to pay at the end of the day, and I only come to that conclusion by a lot of shopping and elavuating and comparing the prices myself - theres too many different factors to go by those vague prices.. When I was shopping for a supra I found the prices suggested totally irrelevant really..

edit: the bugger's gone!! I wouldn't turn your nose up at a Cat D. £4k for a CTR, with 60k is a good deal, regardless of if it's had a prang as long as the repair is to a good standard. of course it depends how new it was when damaged - if when the car was new, it was quite a big prang to warrant the write off, if a year ago, it doesnt take much at all to Cat D a £5k car. You'll barely loose any money on it really as £4k is near the bottom end of the spectrum, with them hard to find at under that price, let alone with such low mileage. I was thinking about a ctr I saw a few roads from home, £4150, Cat D, 76k, written off due to some paint damage, resprayed a different colour from factory anyway, fsh etc. I hate hatchbacks generally, but for a balance of economy and fun, you'll be hard pressed to find a better comprimise

I write way too much when bored at work!
    Nah that was a nice post bro

Yeah I have generally been wary of cat d's but as you say it's only really serious if it may have happened when the car is new. Plus if you have the receipts and everything and it was done professionally it makes a big diff.

I'll keep looking. I'm trying to find a 51 plate 100k mileage with decentish history. If I could get that for 4k it would be a result. My birthday in a few months so after that I'll get more serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    The best free site I've found which normally seems fairly accurate for pricing is WiseBuyers. Never found any of the other free ones to be even close to actual market prices.
    Good site! Alot better than Parkers, it's pretty specific as it looks at different specs within each model and doesn't charge to do this.

Still abit out for the type r. I guess as Jaw says people are simply prepared to pay alot more for this car right now so they can increase the prices.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.