Turn on thread page Beta

Why do Results take SO long to come out? watch

ReputationRep:
    I know there are various stages to marking/moderation/centralisation of results and checking/adjustment etc etc but seriously exams run from mid May - mid June yet results aren't out till mid August.

I understand there must be about half a million (or more) scripts but still... I think August 1st would be much more acceptable than late August. So why do they take SO long?

ReputationRep:
    Marking millions of papers within two months of them being completed is not bad.

ReputationRep:
    makes sure you don't get the wrong results

I'm not really that fussed about results this year. (Then again, I'm only waiting on AS results).

ReputationRep:
    It's quite a short period, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
    I'm not really that fussed about results this year. (Then again, I'm only waiting on AS results).
    Also AS for me but although I'm not nervous/anxious per se I just want to know what they are so I can make up my mind vis à vis course choices.

But I digress. The point is I don't see why it takes >2 months for that process. Ah well, British bureaucracy.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    It takes so long for the reasons you've mentioned :p:

The turn around is much quicker at university though
    Yeah - our examiners managed to turn around 600 essay papers (marked twice each) in 4 days - I know national exams are more of a task but really THAT much longer? Maybe the examiner/paper ratio is just much lower.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    The ratio is lower but it's more than that, the papers don't have to be transported/scanned in, there's less cross-checking, scaling of marks is less time consuming etc. It's a very different process :yep:
    I can imagine the logistics involved etc - its well over ten times longer than our exams though and it just... seems very long . Clearly it does add up though, not going to dispute that! (Conspiracy!!!! :fuhrer: )

ReputationRep:
    27th August for GCSEs ... :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    27th August for GCSEs ... :puppyeyes:
    Upon seeing your picture, and until reading your sig, I thought you would be much older than 15/16.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Upon seeing your picture, and until reading your sig, I thought you would be much older than 15/16.
    I'm ageing! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    I know there are various stages to marking/moderation/centralisation of results and checking/adjustment etc etc but seriously exams run from mid May - mid June yet results aren't out till mid August.

I understand there must be about half a million (or more) scripts but still... I think August 1st would be much more acceptable than late August. So why do they take SO long?
    Because they were created to torture us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FZka)
    Because they were created to torture us
    :yes: Totally.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Spain and our equivalent a-levels (selectividad exams) results are posted on a special website within 5 days!
    You guys in England are sloooooooooowwwwwww

ReputationRep:
    Any time spent moaning about it or even trying to understand it will just make the whole thing seem to take even longer. The best thing you can do is forget about them and not worry, because you cant do anything now to change those grades on the piece of paper you get in a few weeks time, its not worth the time thinking about it. I say this and I have quite alot resting on my A2 results coming out shortly.

ReputationRep:
    1. So they can mark them properly - you dont want an examiner accidently forgetting to mark page 9 of your chemistry paper, do you? lol
    2. So they could keep us stressing for longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    :yes: Totally.
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    I did my French baccalaureate and a week after I got my results . Although all of my exams (7 ) were on a 5 day period.

ReputationRep:
    Creating markschemes (deciding what answers are acceptable), checking of consistency of marking, deciding on grade boundaries etc takes a long time for certain subjects - although with subjects like Maths and Physics it could probably all be done within a couple of weeks because there's only one correct answer, it probably takes atleast 6 weeks for subjects like English and Economics.

ReputationRep:
    can you please DO NOT mention results day ? its holiday people, lets live our lives.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.