Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good places to go in Britain? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah Canterbury, York, Newcastle are all good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    Yeah, it's crazy isn't it :sadnod: I'm 6 ft 3 and probably weigh 10 stone wet through so I think being a bouncer's out for me...:p:
    But I don't drink so I would probably be okay anyway...:rolleyes:

But the club price is...:eek: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge, Bristol, Cornwall ...

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh!!

Lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    I just got back from the Coast to Coast and I have to say that Reeth was the nicest little village I saw all trip. Whitby looks pretty nice too - if you are into hiking I would consider the Isle of Skye.
    I second the Coast to Coast, I know some people that did it recently and they really enjoyed it. Also, yay Reeth! (Sorry, I know where it is).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vintage <3)
    EDIT Again: I MEANT ENGLAND sorry i'm abit dopey today :/

So I'm just curious ... I've been living here all my life & I haven't really been anywhere but Blackpool & Scarborough ... What places do you know of & recommend?

EDIT: OO crap I dont know why I didn't mention London BUT I've been there many times but thanks
    The Lake District, in particular Buttermere. I recommend climbing Skiddaw, Catbells and Helvellyn. If not North Yorkshire is peaceful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoveBites)
    Edinburgh!!

Lovely
    Asking for England mate

ReputationRep:
    Germany?

ReputationRep:
    The airport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hannah)
    I second the Coast to Coast, I know some people that did it recently and they really enjoyed it. Also, yay Reeth! (Sorry, I know where it is).
    The coast to coast is awesome - except when you are walking when you really learn to dislike Wainwright.

Reeth was a pretty cool little village, its also the only place where we stayed in a B& B which maybe why I like it so much

ReputationRep:
    i like day trips to york personally.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone mentioned Hastings yet?

http://hastingsdiaries.com/about/

ReputationRep:
    York, Durham, Oxford and Bath are all gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    How about the Peak district, really nice, and right on your doorstep in Leeds. Also the Yorkshire Dales.

I also agree with Liverpool and Lake District

Norwich. It's amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Borton-on-the-water... or the Cotswolds in general
    Oxford, Cambridge, Durham are all lovely
    Birmingham is also rather nice, despite some critics

ReputationRep:
    Bristol, Liverpool, Brighton, York, Newcastle

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh- Mainly worth going to for the contrast between the old city and the ‘new’ city (which is still very old) but there are historic places in England I would visit first.

Durham- Must visit for its quite ruggedly elegant beauty which is as much about the woodland river and university park walks that there are as it is about the beautiful situation with the castle and cathedral. Pleasing and harmonious mix of ancient and modern.

York- A bit more of a ‘touristy’ feel than Durham, York Minster is very dramatic and there is a city wall. York has a lot of pubs and cafes and there is greenery in the city centre. The university was built in the 1960s and is almost entirely out of the main city in Heslington.

Warwick- Based on my parents visit there (I haven’t been) I’m going to say that this is probably worth a visit purely for the impressive looking castle, which Madame Tussauds owns so is probably one of the best castle ‘experiences’ in the UK.

Newquay-. Newquay tends to attract some of the youngest crowds in Cornwall. It almost has a feeling of being in the hippyish parts of America if you use your imagination a bit. I don’t know whether the surfing at Fistral Beach is as good as it is made out to be – often it looks ordinary- but there is a wide number of shops. If you make it part of a longer holiday in Cornwall it’s definitely worth a visit but otherwise it’s a long way to go for what is still a small place with a very limited number of things to do
    If you like fish and chips, Padstow in Cornwall or Whitby in North Yorkshire.

? Bath- I haven’t visited there. It looks pretty in pictures- known for its Roman baths and Georgian terraces- a sort of mix of a few bits from York and Edinburgh I suppose.

Cambridge- A flat area punctuated with outstanding sights like Kings College, the university is integral to the character of the place and punting down ‘The Backs’ under several bridges gives one of the most spectacular sights of architecture and green space in the world.

Oxford is very 'touristy' and relatively urban in feel unless you are in the confines of the quads. I'd only suggest making a trip to Newcastle (which I live about 60 mins from) if you have visited Durham the day before. There is not THAT big a difference between the big Northern cities.

Manchester plays host to so many big music acts that you may as well wait until one that you want to see is playing there and then see the city at the same time- it's quite nice actually (although doesn't seem to have many great landmarks apart from the Arndale Centre) although it feels very similar to Leeds. I couldn't personally recommend a detour to Liverpool unless you absolutely want a tour of the Beatles houses.

ReputationRep:
    York, Lake District and Manchester (I may be slighhttlllyy biased on Manchester...).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.