Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is studying Economics with Business Studies at A-Level (seperate) a bad idea? Watch

ReputationRep:
    See thread title.

ReputationRep:
    Course content are too similar.

ReputationRep:
    They are practically the same, however Business studies is less respected by most Universities for most courses.
    So in all fairness Economics > Business Studies.

What ma2k5 said + studying business studies by itself (when economics is available) is a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    im doing that :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrishPerson)
    im doing that :/
    Unlucky, or change now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)
    They are practically the same, however Business studies is less respected by most Universities for most courses.
    So in all fairness Economics > Business Studies.
    This only applies to A-Levels? For example, if someone did Business Studies GCSE then Economics A-Level it would be fine you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by histon)
    This only applies to A-Levels? For example, if someone did Business Studies GCSE then Economics A-Level it would be fine you think?
    Yes that would be fine, but Economics A-Level > Business Studies A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    Economics is generally a better subject to do, but still Business Studies encompasses Economics but would surely be mostly based around Economics... so it seems pretty pointless.

My brother's only doing Business Studies. He's gonna have a pathetic life.

ReputationRep:
    i did business for gcses
    and i start a levels this september and doing business studies and ecnomics and maths and chemistry
    is that a bad idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrishPerson)
    i did business for gcses
    and i start a levels this september and doing business studies and ecnomics and maths and chemistry
    is that a bad idea?
    It seems so lol.

ReputationRep:
    there's loads of people in my Economics class who do Accounting, Business AND Economics I guess the overlap is handy, but it's hardly a diverse range of A levels.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing Maths, Economics, French and Business Studies. As long as your other subjects are fairly academic then there shouldnt be a problem. Generally the better universities (Russell Group) will accept one 'soft' subject a-level.
    Oh and the course we do at my school for Economics and Business are completely different. There is no overlap at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyjane_09)
    there's loads of people in my Economics class who do Accounting, Business AND Economics I guess the overlap is handy, but it's hardly a diverse range of A levels.
    Neither are Maths, Phys, Chem and Bio yet universities respect them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmma.)
    I am currently doing Maths, Economics, French and Business Studies. As long as your other subjects are fairly academic then there shouldnt be a problem. Generally the better universities (Russell Group) will accept one 'soft' subject a-level.
    Oh and the course we do at my school for Economics and Business are completely different. There is no overlap at all.
    I'm not doing BS, I just wondered about it.

ReputationRep:
    Those 3 subjects are a lot more respected than Business and Accounting.

ReputationRep:
    How are they not diverse?

Accounting, Economics, Business - you typically learn about all of them in any Eco/Acc or Business degree. I don't remember learning about pythagoras in my Chemistry A level :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious?

You probably couldn't get more different subjects. Yes, they're all linked in small ways but each involves varied skills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ma2k5)
    How are they not diverse?

Accounting, Economics, Business - you typically learn about all of them in any Eco/Acc or Business degree. I don't remember learning about pythagoras in my Chemistry A level :rolleyes:
    Not as similar, but they're all obviously science subjects.

Originally Posted by histon
    (Original post by emilyjane_09)
    Those 3 subjects are a lot more respected than Business and Accounting.
    Erm... I count four...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.