Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is studying Economics with Business Studies at A-Level (seperate) a bad idea? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choirboy)
    Originally Posted by histon
    Neither are Maths, Phys, Chem and Bio yet universities respect them.

Erm... I count four...
    Sorry, I didn't read it properly. Pedantic, much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrishPerson)
    i did business for gcses
    and i start a levels this september and doing business studies and ecnomics and maths and chemistry
    is that a bad idea?
    Its fine. As long as you drop business after you finish AS.
    Then for A2 you have a science, a social science/essay subject and also maths. A good combo :yes:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Edwin Okli]Economics is generally a better subject to do, but still Business Studies encompasses Economics but would surely be mostly based around Economics... so it seems pretty pointless.

My brother's only doing Business Studies. He's gonna have a pathetic life.[/QUOTE]

lol. His life is ruined for sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrishPerson)
    i did business for gcses
    and i start a levels this september and doing business studies and ecnomics and maths and chemistry
    is that a bad idea?
    Maybe swap Business Studies for History or English Lit - they go well with Economics, and give you a good traditional essay based subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyjane_09)
    there's loads of people in my Economics class who do Accounting, Business AND Economics I guess the overlap is handy, but it's hardly a diverse range of A levels.
    They are people like me, the kids who got misinformed by teachers who said 'ooh thats a great combo, they compliment each other and unis can see you love business-y subjects' X_X

I did Business studies and Accounting - two soft alevels, even though accounting is super hard (my exam board offers little resources) Biggest mistake ever lol.
    However it didnt stop my from getting an offer from three Russell group unis! So if you do two soft subjects dont worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day as long as your grades are good then universities, even Oxbridge, don't mind Business Studies, although economics is regarded as more academic. At the same time as considering university you need to consider your interests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    They are people like me, the kids who got misinformed by teachers who said 'ooh thats a great combo, they compliment each other and unis can see you love business-y subjects' X_X

I did Business studies and Accounting - two soft alevels, even though accounting is super hard (my exam board offers little resources) Biggest mistake ever lol.
    However it didnt stop my from getting an offer from three Russell group unis! So if you do two soft subjects dont worry too much.
    I know, there really isn't enough information out there about "respected" A levels. I know so many people who regret taking certain subjects. I would be unable to do Accounting :P I'm hopeless with numbers...

Economics is good though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by histon)
    Not as similar, but they're all obviously science subjects.
    Indeed they are, however, they are so totally different.

I have studied Accounting/Finance/Economics at university level, I can say, the overlap is crazy - if you compare modules of courses of Business/Management/Acc/Eco degrees, you'll see a fair amount of overlap (minus the very prestigious Economic courses). Atleast in A-level anyway, you'll see a great overlap. I can't say I saw the same in the science subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ma2k5)
    Indeed they are, however, they are so totally different.

I have studied Accounting/Finance/Economics at university level, I can say, the overlap is crazy - if you compare modules of courses of Business/Management/Acc/Eco degrees, you'll see a fair amount of overlap (minus the very prestigious Economic courses). Atleast in A-level anyway, you'll see a great overlap. I can't say I saw the same in the science subjects.
    Just how many A-Levels did you take? You took all the business subjects and all the science subjects?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by histon)
    Just how many A-Levels did you take? You took all the business subjects and all the science subjects?:rolleyes:
    I did Maths Physics Chemistry and Biology for A levels - and studied Mathematics+Eco @ University, as well as an accounting+finance degree seperately.

Also, having siblings who studied and always pestered me about their Economics and Business A level kind of helped me see the similarities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmma.)
    I am currently doing Maths, Economics, French and Business Studies.

Hi5! :cool:
    I wish someone had told me that they were so similar at the start of the year so i wouldn't have wasted one of my choices on it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.