Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I currently hold Warwick as my firm, so providing I achieve the necessary requirements I will be joining you all this september.

I was just wondering what opportunities there are for part-time jobs on campus. Is there work widely available?

Also, how many students have part-time jobs off campus?

From open days I was given the impression that very few people work while at uni but I can't honestly see how I'm going to be able to live if I don't!

ReputationRep:
    There's work all over the campus like bar staff, restaurant staff etc., as well as things like Aimhigher Associates and Warwick Welcome Service who are like university ambassadors. There's also a Unitemps on campus which helps you find work. They also email out jobs everyday that you can apply for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y'anami!)
    There's work all over the campus like bar staff, restaurant staff etc., as well as things like Aimhigher Associates and Warwick Welcome Service who are like university ambassadors. There's also a Unitemps on campus which helps you find work. They also email out jobs everyday that you can apply for.
    Thanks, this was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Do you know what the hourly wage is? Does it vary according to the job or does the uni pay a standard wage to students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathletics)
    Thanks, this was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Do you know what the hourly wage is? Does it vary according to the job or does the uni pay a standard wage to students?
    I think that anything by the union is esentially minimum wage.

Anything from the university (working in the food and cafe places across campus or warwick arts centre is around £8.13 an hour now I think). I just left from having worked there - they'll definately need some new staff as the arts centre is re-opening its biggest venue in september!

Just go in and ask to see a manager maybe. It may help if you have previous bar work though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathletics)
    I think the person above said £8.13, it IS around that, I get about £7.26+holiday pay so it works just about £8. And like they said, you can always go around asking managers, but I think they are also advertised via email or posters so keep an eye out for those! You can always talk to the welfare office in the SU I think

ReputationRep:
    www.warwicksu.com/opportunities

maybe? or maybe /jobs?

emh, its all on there.

OR

go off campus - meet different people, get more money, have a life outside the bubble. Plenty of bars/resutrants in cov and the surrounding area.

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of jobs available on campus...
    but I found in my first year that there weren't many positions that were currently OPEN for new applicants... and those that were had far too many people applying to them. Jobs such as working in the supermarkets, union or cafes etc.
    As I had no working experience at that point, I had no chance of getting any of the jobs, even though I applied.

There's a big Tesco not far from campus, they probably offer part time jobs too.

ReputationRep:
    Having worked in the arts centre recently, I can say they definately need more staff this year! Usually they are fine, but it got to the point where about 6-7 of our house were working there and we all graduated this year! And then I knew about 3-4 more who worked there in my year, so they've too graduated :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spark911)
    Having worked in the arts centre recently, I can say they definitely need more staff this year! Usually they are fine, but it got to the point where about 6-7 of our house were working there and we all graduated this year! And then I knew about 3-4 more who worked there in my year, so they've too graduated :p:

But get a proper job there, not a job as a 'steward' because then they only pay you 5 pounds per shift... whether you're doing a short cinema showing or a 3 hour concert. I did it in my first year because I couldnt find a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    But get a proper job there, not a job as a 'steward' because then they only pay you 5 pounds per shift... whether you're doing a short cinema showing or a 3 hour concert. I did it in my first year because I couldnt find a job.
    that's less than minimum wage? how do they get away with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    that's less than minimum wage? how do they get away with it?

Because they count it as 'voluntary' kind of... because you get to see the film you work at for free or see the concert etc.
    It's still bad though in my opinion, sort of taking advantage of students who desperately need to earn money!

ReputationRep:
    I had a term-time job all of first year and terms 1 and 3 of second, then in 3rd year I didnt have the time so had to give it up.

If you want work, rock up to Unitemps and theyll sort you out (Y)

ReputationRep:
    Is it fairly easy to get work even if you have no experience? Shamefully I've never had a job before. :redface: I'm desperate to start doing some part-time work when i get to Warwick as between holidays and just complete lack of jobs on the market I haven't been able to find any work.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick graduates association were searching for part-timers last year to ring up alumni and hassle them for money for the uni... I think the pay rate was quite good too as i remember, but wasn't something I fancied doing!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Wraggy)
    Warwick graduates association were searching for part-timers last year to ring up alumni and hassle them for money for the uni... I think the pay rate was quite good too as i remember, but wasn't something I fancied doing!
    Yeah I've seen this job advertised on the Warwick Forum on the Uni website too - about £8/hour pay and you work a minimum of 6 hours a week but obviously can work more. It's ringing up Alumni and asked for donations. Might be something I'm interested in... as it's a job run by the Uni, the hours will fit around term time I'm sure and they'll prob be leniant during exams.

(Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    Because they count it as 'voluntary' kind of... because you get to see the film you work at for free or see the concert etc.
    It's still bad though in my opinion, sort of taking advantage of students who desperately need to earn money!
    Hardly taking advantage when the job is a 'Volunteer Performance Steward'. The £5 is such a bonus because at many arts venues across the country the role is completely unpaid. Most of the students who steward do it because they want the experience of working in the arts sector and to see theatre for free and they get more than enough interest from people who want to do the job for the experience. Out of all the people I've worked with there hardly anyone does it purely for the money, not when there are other jobs around.

Student calling pays well. Student union bars recruit at the beginning of term and Xanana's should be as well as both have a regular staff turn over each academic year.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any point getting a job in Coventry, or will travel costs make it unworthwhile?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    Is there any point getting a job in Coventry, or will travel costs make it unworthwhile?
    This. I'm not entirely sure how far away Coventry is from the uni. Is it walkable/bikeable?

I guess working for the union would be better as it'd be more suited to a student, so you'd get holidays and stuff when there's uni holidays. I guess if you worked in a town bar or something they might want you to work over the holiday time so you might not be able to leave. Then again, if it pays considerably better...?

ReputationRep:
    It's a 40-50 minute walk, sane biking distance or 15 minute bus journey to the centre of Coventry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    It's a 40-50 minute walk, sane biking distance or 15 minute bus journey to the centre of Coventry.
    I walked about 40 minutes to school everyday for the past 7 years... I could manage it. I'm that desperate to get a job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.