Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice needed please, need to know how to deal with rejection Watch

Please keep this anon or delete, people from work know me on this forum.

The story is basically this:

I am not very popular at work or in life. I realised that one girl always used to make an effort with me at work when other people would ignore me. This made me think that maybe I should reciprocate this effort and make more effort with her AS A FRIEND, nothing more. She probably found this offensive because I started to chat to her more than she wanted me to so she has backed off from me. Now she quite obviously tries to avoid me at work and often I am left as a complete loner now.

Is she saying that I did something wrong or was she just fake with me beforehand to lure me into a false sense of security? In one way, if nobody else likes me at work then I can sort of understand why maybe she would be reluctant to be seen as my only friend, but then again she has no reason to dislike me as I have always said the right things with her.

I really do not know how to deal with this situation. Shall I ignore her completely (cutting my nose off to spite my face, as I will be left alone while she mingles with other colleagues) or carry on making an effort and pretend I am oblivious to the situation (acting like a doormat, which quite frankly I am sick of).

Advice? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Lock ALL knives, blades and rope you own into a closet.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm that's a really difficult situation.
    So have you never really got along with your colleagues? Why is this- shyness? Because I know there used to be a few shy guys where I worked and while obviously no one disliked them (they had no reason to), often people just didn't know what to say. I always made an effort because I know how much it sucks to feel like you're on your own but I'll admit I couldn't make the conversations last long. Maybe the more you talked, the more she realised she didn't really know what to say and so stopped trying. I don't know-but I doubt she meant anything sinister. Sadly in work situations (as with school etc), some people do care about looking "cool" and so I guess you can't rule that out, but think about it like this- if she cared that much what everyone else though she would never have made an effort with you. I don't think you should stop trying just yet, I know you don't want to be seen as a doormat (and I can completely understand that) but I don't think you should give up yet. Still be friendly and talk but maybe try and take it more gradually because if you went from exchanging the odd pleasantry to acting like best mates I can see she might be a bit confused. I'm sorry I can't offer much more help, I hope things work out ok!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.