Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just a bit of background, in September I am going to start my A Levels- maths, history, english lit and politics. Every wednesday afternoon we have to do enrichment, and for the autumn term my enrichment activity is work experience.
    I'm currently unsure of what I want to study at university but something like PPE/international relations/ history etc is very likely what I will choose. Other less likely options would be law, teaching, journalism or even psychology.

As I haven't yet chosen what I want to do, I'm not sure where to go for my work experience but I want to make the most of it so I can put it on my UCAS form (I'm aware I can do it outside of schools hours too but seeing as I have this opportunity I may as well try and get it right!).

Anyway my question is, would it be best to do something law/teaching related even though it's not my main focus at the moment, as it seems more important to have it for these careers as opposed to PPE/IR etc? What kind of experience could I get for a PPE type degree anyway?

Sorry for the long post, any suggestions appreciated

ReputationRep:
    At my sixthform I am going to we have to do and enrichment every Wednesday too!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's up to you to decide what you would get the most out of doing.
    Something like volunteering in a school might help you decide if teaching is something you would like to pursue.

ReputationRep:
    Go and help in a different local secondary school (or primary) if you want something teaching related.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what PPE is :| so can't help with that part of it but the only work experience people in our year did was helping out in primary schools/nurseries and hospitals. The best time to do any work experience is probably after your exams like when you finish college in May/June because you then have 3 months to do it and it'll also give you something to do instead of being bored...
    We also do enrichment on a Wednesday afternoon.

EDIT: Oh and if you're in sixth form you should be able to help out in any lessons in the school as they are going to leave like 2 months after you.

ReputationRep:
    International relations erm maybe you could try get Work Experience in the Town Hall or something surely that would be relations?
    Erm for Law, try get a Solicitor firm to take you on, be warned it's extremely hard to do

Also if you didnt know already PPe is like the most competitive course to get on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)
    International relations erm maybe you could try get Work Experience in the Town Hall or something surely that would be relations?
    Erm for Law, try get a Solicitor firm to take you on, be warned it's extremely hard to do

Also if you didnt know already PPe is like the most competitive course to get on...
    What does PPE stand for by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikki =])
    What does PPE stand for by the way?
    Politics, Philosophy & Economics.
    It is the new course, only offered at Oxford i believe, that is the alternative option to the Classics course. People thought Classics was useless in the modern world, so PPE was born. i think it's like 250-350 applicants per place.

ReputationRep:
    It is the new course, only offered at Oxford i believe, that is the alternative option to the Classics course. People thought Classics was useless in the modern world, so PPE was born. i think it's like 250-350 applicants per place.
    Oh right okay thanks, just wondering as I'd never heard of it before.

ReputationRep:
    It's offered at far more places than Oxford, York and Durham being the next best to offer the course.

(Original post by hyperscorpio)
    I'm currently unsure of what I want to study at university but something like PPE/international relations/ history etc is very likely what I will choose. Other less likely options would be law, teaching, journalism or even psychology.
    Do as much work experience as you can in a variety of places, when it comes to IR you could try and do some law work experience with an international firm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    It's offered at far more places than Oxford, York and Durham being the next best to offer the course.
    Ah i thought only Oxford offered it, obviously not

ReputationRep:
    We have enrichment on Wednesday afternoons too xD

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I wish I could do it in the spring term too so I could do a couple of different things but we have to do sport or community activities instead.

Oh and I knew oxford PPE was competitive but 250-350 people per place?? It's got a 20% success rate! May as well aim high anyway

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll go with a law placement for now and get some kind of politics related thing for next summer.

hello! i am applying for ppe and in y11 i did work experience at News of the world which was really inetersting probs worth looking into newspapers! and right at this moment im sitting at my desk at a law firm in aldgate london doing work experience, what are the chances eh they are good because law and the media are relevent in the study of politics and economics, philosophy not so much lol

ReputationRep:
    The great thing about PPE is that it's so varied, which means that it's very difficult to pin-point some specific work-experience for this course. Consider work experience at a bank or at the council?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom gavin)
    hello! i am applying for ppe and in y11 i did work experience at News of the world which was really inetersting probs worth looking into newspapers! and right at this moment im sitting at my desk at a law firm in aldgate london doing work experience, what are the chances eh they are good because law and the media are relevent in the study of politics and economics, philosophy not so much lol

I wish i done what you were doing - Work Experience early
    Are you going into Year 11 this september, or going into Year 12?

im going into year 13 lol doing ucas atm, in y11 we had to do work experience, but the one i just did was optional only did a week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom gavin)
    im going into year 13 lol doing ucas atm, in y11 we had to do work experience, but the one i just did was optional only did a week
    Yeah i've got a Solicitors work experience on Monday 3rd August for a week

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.