Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey All!

I've been offered catered accommodation, but am becoming more and more convinced the private accommodation would be a much better deal! After reading the other threads, I think it'd be a great idea if a couple of us first years could find a fantastic appartment to share close to the University. I'm an 18 year old female, currently in Sweden. Post here if you're interested as we all know about the deadline the uni's given us to accept or decline!

ReputationRep:
    Have you read the first post of the official accommodation thread? There is some good advice by oxymoronic.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburg catered accomodation is top-knotch. :top:

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to support this thread, I wanted to make one on this topic as well but chose to post on the "Edinburgh applicants - insurance .. accom issue" thread instead. But I think it might be a better idea to have a separate thread after all.

Anyway, here's what I wrote there:

Any chance we can use this thread for everyone looking for private accommodation and not only you insurance people?

If so, well, I'm strongly considering private accommodation. So I've been looking around and it seems easier to just jump in an existing flat looking for an extra tenant rather than grouping up and finding an empty flat. Would be more fun to be several first years together but seems a difficult thing to arrange if you can't get to Edinburgh much in advance. Any thoughts?

Anyone else actually looking at ads and seriously considering private? I'll be chatting with you too gammapulsar .

So, to add to it. What do people who have experience in this have to suggest? To find a separate room on an already occupied flat? Or gather up a group of people and get an empty flat? How difficult is the latter? I have no experience in living in the UK so I'm not at all sure how these things work, like Coucil Tax for example.

Either way, I'm looking for a flat around the Meadows/Marchment area. Been looking at ads on Gumtree and have actually contacted one but haven't gotten a reply yet.

If anyone's interested in arranging a flat in that area maybe we could talk together and see what we come up with?

ReputationRep:
    I've also emailed someone about some accommodation in that area on that website! (maybe it's the same appartment haha) also waiting for a reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelien)
    I have no experience in living in the UK so I'm not at all sure how these things work, like Coucil Tax for example.
    As a student you don't pay council tax at all. The university sends details off to the council of all of the students at the start of the year (therefore, make sure you update on MyEd when you have an address) and then you don't get contacted to pay anything. When you're looking at gumtree, therefore, look for a flat which is totally occupied by students or if you find one where one or more of the people are working ensure that council tax is NOT part of the rent they're asking you to pay. If neccesary contact the landlord and ask what the rent for the flat is, as that won't include CT. If you live with someone who works and therefore pays council tax it should be their responsibility and it's unfair of them to ask you to pay some of it as it is a fair amount.... but I can imagine that some people would try and slip in an extra X amount per month and say it's part of the rent, when it's actually CT as they'll think that because you're not from the UK you won't understand the system. My boyfriend had this issue and he is Scottish so knew the score damn well and people still tried it with him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    As a student you don't pay council tax at all. The university sends details off to the council of all of the students at the start of the year (therefore, make sure you update on MyEd when you have an address) and then you don't get contacted to pay anything. When you're looking at gumtree, therefore, look for a flat which is totally occupied by students or if you find one where one or more of the people are working ensure that council tax is NOT part of the rent they're asking you to pay. If neccesary contact the landlord and ask what the rent for the flat is, as that won't include CT. If you live with someone who works and therefore pays council tax it should be their responsibility and it's unfair of them to ask you to pay some of it as it is a fair amount.... but I can imagine that some people would try and slip in an extra X amount per month and say it's part of the rent, when it's actually CT as they'll think that because you're not from the UK you won't understand the system. My boyfriend had this issue and he is Scottish so knew the score damn well and people still tried it with him!
    Cheers, I kinda figured it out in the end but thanks for clarifying. I noticed how several ads distinctively put that they only wanted students or ads that only wanted professionals, so I see why that is now.

ReputationRep:
    i think it's a great idea to rent a flat, but if you're not in edinburgh long enough to be able to find own then that's going to be difficult for first year.

i was thinking of it .. and done it .. took my own flat.

oh.. and if you're international student then it is going to be easy for your first year because the letting agency would want credit checks for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfahad)
    i think it's a great idea to rent a flat, but if you're not in edinburgh long enough to be able to find own then that's going to be difficult for first year.

i was thinking of it .. and done it .. took my own flat.

oh.. and if you're international student then it is going to be easy for your first year because the letting agency would want credit checks for example.
    Hmm, not sure I understand all you said..

I found a couple of other guys at Gumtree that were also flat-hunting so we've decided to become flatmates and hunt together. They're in Edinburgh however and can go to viewings and such, is that enough? Or should I also need to go to Edinburgh? I don't really need to see the apartment before hand honestly, I trust the other guys and I'm not too picky on my first year..

And how did you get your flat? Did you go to Edinburgh for a week or so and got it? Or was it by distance?

And what do you mean that it's going to be easy as an International? How is that any different than local people? I have a credit card sure, but doesn't local people have them too?

EDIT: Hmm, I have another question btw, to everyone. I was contacted by a guy that found my ad where I was announcing I was looking for a flat, that said he had a 3 room flat to rent. The flat looks really nice and the rent is very low, only £600 with all bills inclusive! That's merely £200 per person/month! However, the fact that it's so cheap and that he's a private person renting out without a letting agency makes me quite suspicious.. Is it common that private people rent out flats without going through a letting agency? Is it fair to be suspicious of the low price? How does one protect oneself from scams?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, not sure I understand all you said..

I found a couple of other guys at Gumtree that were also flat-hunting so we've decided to become flatmates and hunt together. They're in Edinburgh however and can go to viewings and such, is that enough? Or should I also need to go to Edinburgh? I don't really need to see the apartment before hand honestly, I trust the other guys and I'm not too picky on my first year..

And how did you get your flat? Did you go to Edinburgh for a week or so and got it? Or was it by distance?

And what do you mean that it's going to be easy as an International? How is that any different than local people? I have a credit card sure, but doesn't local people have them too?
    sorry it's probably my bad english :o:

if you will share a flat And have people whom you trust who are in edinburgh and will sign the tenancy agreement, then you'll be fine

yes i went to edinburgh for a week. although i was already in the UK doing my foundation degree in another city so it's not quite my first year.
    and during this week i found my apartment and signed.

it was first difficult for me because the letting agencies i tried (which were almost 5) to rent from were very restricted about financial stuff, because they require a guarantor whom is british based.
    as a british person .. his father for example could be a guarantor but for me my father couldn't be because he is not british and not living in the UK! .. that's why it's more difficult for international students.
    and usually good flats are advertised with those restricted letting agencies

and finally i had an agency who gave me a 12-months contract only because i paid them several months rents in advance:o:

but the people you have to rent with may have a guarantor so that everything would be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfahad)
    sorry it's probably my bad english :o:

if you will share a flat And have people whom you trust who are in edinburgh and will sign the tenancy agreement, then you'll be fine

yes i went to edinburgh for a week. although i was already in the UK doing my foundation degree in another city so it's not quite my first year.
    and during this week i found my apartment and signed.

it was first difficult for me because the letting agencies i tried (which were almost 5) to rent from were very restricted about financial stuff, because they require a guarantor whom is british based.
    as a british person .. his father for example could be a guarantor but for me my father couldn't be because he is not british and not living in the UK! .. that's why it's more difficult for international students.
    and usually good flats are advertised with those restricted letting agencies

and finally i had an agency who gave me a 12-months contract only because i paid them several months rents in advance:o:

but the people you have to rent with may have a guarantor so that everything would be fine
    Oh, cool, now I get it.

Well, it's not that I trust the persons I'm flathunting with, really, I just only found them on Gumtree ads, so I don't even know them . But I mean, that's normal right? I wouldn't know anyone from TSR any better anyway, and there's not much of a choice if you're moving in to a city you don't know anyone in .

They both seem trustworthy though, and I'm not exactly putting any money on them or anything, they just agree to find a flat together. We'll all sign the contract in the end anyway.

I understand the financial matter now too.. I wouldn't really have a guarantor as I don't know anyone in the UK, but I assume my flatmates have as they both come from other private flats in Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a guarantor, at least, I have never had one on the contracts I've signed. And yeah, its common that people just rent out rooms without using letting agencies, a lot of people have private landlords so if their landlord has never used an agency so why would they, and even if your flat is rented from an agency it is cheaper to find your own tennant otherwise you have to pay the agency if they are going to do it for you and it can be £50-60.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a guarantor, at least, I have never had one on the contracts I've signed. And yeah, its common that people just rent out rooms without using letting agencies, a lot of people have private landlords so if their landlord has never used an agency so why would they, and even if your flat is rented from an agency it is cheaper to find your own tennant otherwise you have to pay the agency if they are going to do it for you and it can be £50-60.
    Ah, I see. Well, the flat is actually in Calton Hill, so it's quite a way off the area we're looking for and a bit of a walk to Uni, so I don't think we'll be considering it even though it was so cheap. But at least I know how it works if a similar offer comes up.

ReputationRep:
    If you're renting from an agency you should need a guarantor (usually per person) as a student because you don't have a fixed income to prove that you can continue to pay the rent (I don't know how Oxymoronic has got away without :p:). You should equally all be present to sign the lease to ensure that you are all legally renting so that you have rights and grounds to stand on should your landlord do anything dodgy that you need to take to court, or even just argue with in person. And to ensure that you and your flatmates are all on an equal footing to start with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artorscience?)
    If you're renting from an agency you should need a guarantor (usually per person) as a student because you don't have a fixed income to prove that you can continue to pay the rent (I don't know how Oxymoronic has got away without :p:). You should equally all be present to sign the lease to ensure that you are all legally renting so that you have rights and grounds to stand on should your landlord do anything dodgy that you need to take to court, or even just argue with in person. And to ensure that you and your flatmates are all on an equal footing to start with.
    Really???

I've never had a guarantor and I signed the lease from abroad on my flat for next year... I must just be really really cool. I've never known anyone ever mention having to have a guarantor either, as it's come up in conversation before and we all decided it was a stupid idea and we're glad the agencies in Edinburgh don't have that policy!!

ReputationRep:
    Really???

I've never had a guarantor and I signed the lease from abroad on my flat for next year... I must just be really really cool. I've never known anyone ever mention having to have a guarantor either, as it's come up in conversation before and we all decided it was a stupid idea and we're glad the agencies in Edinburgh don't have that policy!!
    Signed the lease from abroad? Can you do that? I'm trying with all my might to deal with this without actually going to Edinburgh, I don't really feel like spending £200-£300 on a short trip to Edinburgh just weeks before moving there in September...

ReputationRep:
    Signed the lease from abroad? Can you do that? I'm trying with all my might to deal with this without actually going to Edinburgh, I don't really feel like spending £200-£300 on a short trip to Edinburgh just weeks before moving there in September...
    I did it with no problems what so ever... although apparently you shouldn't, so I don't know!
    My flatmates in Edinburgh signed it together then the landlord posted the lease to me, I signed it and got someone to be the witness and then I posted it back to him. I really don't know though now... as like, all of my friends who have been abroad this year also signed their leases from abroad so it must be a pretty normal thing to do, although apparently AoS says that that shouldn't happen. I'd just press them to get them to post it to you as its stupid having to come all the way to sign it, I certainly wouldn't have done that!

ReputationRep:
    I did it with no problems what so ever... although apparently you shouldn't, so I don't know!
    My flatmates in Edinburgh signed it together then the landlord posted the lease to me, I signed it and got someone to be the witness and then I posted it back to him. I really don't know though now... as like, all of my friends who have been abroad this year also signed their leases from abroad so it must be a pretty normal thing to do, although apparently AoS says that that shouldn't happen. I'd just press them to get them to post it to you as its stupid having to come all the way to sign it, I certainly wouldn't have done that!
    Well, I suppose you both talk from different experiences. When the time comes I'm going to try to sign the lease from abroad as, like you say, it's stupid to have to go to Edinburgh just for that. But if I feel there's going to be problems I'll go there.

ReputationRep:
    I signed my lease from abroad last year as well. My flatmates signed it in Edinburgh and then posted the contract to me. Also, we rent through a letting agency and they don't require a guarantor as such, the landlord just wanted a parental note from me by email. So I wrote to them pretending to be my mum (I did ask her permission, her English isn't that good) and said that my parents would be able to take care of my rent should I get into financial trouble. Me not being British wasn't a problem at all. I never even met my landlord until May when we renewed our contract for next year.

ReputationRep:
    Really???

well form personal experience.. these agencies wanted a guarantor, well at least from me!

rettie, dove davies, braemore, james gibb .. even unite student accommodation wanted a guarantor! :p:
    although rettie and unite were fine with a non-UK based guarantor.

and it wasn't my first flat so i asked them to ask my former letting agency in cardiff about my payments of the rents so, but they said that they would still need a guarantor!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.