Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you take further maths without Mathematics at A level? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    Obviously, physically, you can enter yourself into the exams and take it, but it's a very silly thing to do without knowledge of the A Level Maths sylabus
    No, you can't.

The specifications include the exclusions:

"Candidates for Advanced Subsidiary GCE in Further Mathematics are expected to have obtained or to be obtaining concurrently an Advanced Subsidiary GCE in Mathematics.

Candidates for Advanced GCE in Further Mathematics are expected to have obtained or to be obtaining concurrently an Advanced GCE in Mathematics."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshphillips999)
    Is it worth taking if I have to take both?
    Yes!

squish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamsComeTrue.)
    hmm, i've always wondered if further maths is a whole A level in itself? so in AS when someone does the normal 4 subjects and then Further maths as well, are they technically doing 5 AS levels?
    Yes.
    3 modules (C1/C2 +an applied module)=Maths AS

6 modules (C1/C2/C3/C4 +2 applied modules)=Maths A2

6 modules (C1/C2/FP1 +3 applied modules)=Maths AS + Further Maths AS

9 modules (C1/C2/C3/C4/FP1 +4 applied modules)=Maths A2 + Further Maths AS

12 modules (C1/C2/C3/C4/FP1/FP2 +6 applied modules or 5 applied/FP3)=Maths A2 + Further Maths A2

15 modules = Maths A2 + Further Maths A2 + Additional Further Maths AS (FSMQ or something like that)

18 modules = Maths A2 + Further Maths A2 + Additional Further Maths A2 (FSMQ or something like that)

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, thats fair enough I say. Thanks for all the responses.

I was fairly sure of it anyway, but just wanted to confirm. I am probably going to study Economics so I am going to definitely atleast take normal Mathematics.

Also, just one more thing.

This is what my subjects look like so far:

Physics
    Economics
    Maths

But for the last one i'm stuck between IT and Further Maths. Of course, after AS I need to drop one anyway, and it would probably end up being Further Maths if I did take it, it just makes the most sense.

What would probably be a more wise decision?
    Don't waste your time with ICT - if you want to do something related to computers than Computing is a far better bet.

Further Maths would be quite a useful addition and will definitely help you with applying to maths/physics/engineering/economics degrees with a lot of quantitative subject matter.This is the case even if you only want to take the AS (in which you'll do FP1 and two applied units on top of C1-C4 and the two applied units for A2 Maths)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    hmm, i've always wondered if further maths is a whole A level in itself? so in AS when someone does the normal 4 subjects and then Further maths as well, are they technically doing 5 AS levels?
    Yes. Further maths is available as an AS and an A2. You can get Additional further maths AS and A2 as well with some awarding bodies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    The specifications include the exclusions:

"Candidates for Advanced Subsidiary GCE in Further Mathematics are expected to have obtained or to be obtaining concurrently an Advanced Subsidiary GCE in Mathematics.
    :confused: Why not just say "must" if that's what they mean. "Are expected to" sounds like "don't have to but would be silly not to".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edwin Okli)
    Yes, yes you can.
    Well I think it depends on your sixth form.
    Some integrate further maths from AS but some use further maths as a separate A2 (without the inclusion of single maths).
    Nah. :no:

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to?

I wouldn't do a "further" of anything unless I had done the standard subject first.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by BJack)
    :confused: Why not just say "must" if that's what they mean. "Are expected to" sounds like "don't have to but would be silly not to".
    I remember from the certification rules that they will refuse to issue a further maths certificate unless you have taken the AS maths units as well or have supplied evidence you have already taken them with another awarding body.

I have no idea why they use the language they do. I am sure 150 page specs could be reduced in size by half without losing any useful content.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at this from Imperial. For Engineering degrees etc Further Maths is highly sought after and they may question why you didn't take it if your school offered it.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/computing...issions/advice

Oh right, thats fair enough I say. Thanks for all the responses.

I was fairly sure of it anyway, but just wanted to confirm. I am probably going to study Economics so I am going to definately atleast take normal Mathematics.

Also, just one more thing.

This is what my subjects look like so far:

Physics
    Economics
    Maths

But for the last one i'm stuck between IT and Further Maths. Of course, after AS I need to drop one anyway, and it would probably end up being Further Maths if I did take it, it just makes the most sense.

What would probably be a more wise decision?
    that is easy, IT is not respected at all and will not help with anything ever
    further maths is hard, but very well respected and very very useful for economics at university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Small123)
    im sure it would considering its one of the most respected a levels for university
    i did think that as the 2 that did further maths A Level had 3 modules to do as well, so i was thinking it must be the same about of work as Maths (though obviously harder).

I must be so lucky i didn't think i was gonna want to do a maths degree so i didn't do further maths for A2 or AS and i still got the offer i wanted *phew*

ReputationRep:
    i did think that as the 2 that did further maths A Level had 3 modules to do as well, so i was thinking it must be the same about of work as Maths (though obviously harder).

I must be so lucky i didn't think i was gonna want to do a maths degree so i didn't do further maths for A2 or AS and i still got the offer i wanted *phew*
    yeah i think that further mathematics is reserved most for those applying for physics/mathematics/engineering orientated degrees. Awesome getting the offer btw, what degree are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giran)
    ICT is anything but a soft subject. It comes under the sciences.
    i really hope you are joking.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.whichalevels.org/a-level-league-table

based on top 12 universities
    Wow thanks for that link, the 3 subjects I have chosen for definate are all in the "traditional" column, so thats already great!!!

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks for that link, the 3 subjects I have chosen for definate are all in the "traditional" column, so thats already great!!!
    No problem, i had been looking for a while for a good respectability table and that one was perfect.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think that further mathematics is reserved most for those applying for physics/mathematics/engineering orientated degrees. Awesome getting the offer btw, what degree are you taking?
    i'm doing a joint Honors degree, Mathematics with Accounting (may change to economic) hopfully in Exeter (although i do not have my hopes up), if not, My insurance is the same course in Essex

ReputationRep:
    No. Its an extension of normal maths.

ReputationRep:

I don't care what they say, Design and Technology isn't a soft subject, especially when you decided to make a ridiculous project for your coursework.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Perhaps the writers of this website should drag English Language from the Intermediate column to the Traditional column as they appear to have no idea what "Unconsidered" means!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.