Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hiya iv got a place at a sixform college (xaverien sixform college) and a sixform (Sale grammer sixform). I m finding it difficult to pick between them
    so if anyone knows the difference between a sixform college and just a sixform then please tell me
    also if you went to either school or type of school give me your opinions please
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    A sixth form college as far as I'm aware only provides for students in the sixth form years (12+13), so there are no younger pupils. A sixth form is attached to a secondary school

ReputationRep:
    Colleges will require more selfindependence and selfdiscipline than a grammar school sixthform. The college will be likely to be mixed ability sets, whereas the grammar school may be according to ability. I went to a college, and I think that those who came from private schools struggled becasue they no longer had their support staff behind them, which they were used to throughout their GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    Xaverian sixth form college is probably much larger than the sixth form at Sale Grammar. This can be both a good thing (better chance to meet people you like) and a bad thing (probably a less personal experience). If the thought of year sevens running around at waist level is appealing to you, seek help from a professional: if it sounds like a pain, then maybe a sixth form college would be better for you.

As sunspoon said, it may be easier to get support at Sale Grammar simply because of its being smaller (I'd put this in the "more personal experience" category), which you might appreciate. I'd choose the grammar, and this is a big part of why.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on how the sixth form is separated from the school, a college would have a much more relaxed, teenage environment.

I prefer it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.