Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls: Does being a nice person actually matter? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know girls like confidence and funny guys but does being nice actually matter?

I know girls always say they want a guy to be caring and such but when it actually boils down to it I see more girls going for ********* than I see going for the guys who aren't there just to pound them senseless so they can laugh about it to their mates.

By nice I mean - buys her things, selflessness, compliments her, does little favours here and there and generally tries to do what's right. Not flood her with texts asking her where she is...

ReputationRep:
    Awww I think being too nice is not good

ReputationRep:
    The nice guy is great to have around

ReputationRep:
    Empirically, apparently not.

But OFTEN the people who are like that aren't REALLY like that, they're only like that because they don't know how to play the arrogant ********. But I find that people who are genuinely nice have no problems getting a girlfriend. People who are faux-nice because they can't do anything else don't.

ReputationRep:
    of course it matters, it defiantly does for me.

ReputationRep:
    Aw. Nice guys. I want one.

ReputationRep:
    Nice wins every time. This seems like a silly question - who wouldn't want a guy who was considerate, friendly, caring, romantic and loyal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    I know girls like confidence and funny guys but does being nice actually matter?

I know girls always say they want a guy to be caring and such but when it actually boils down to it I see more girls going for ********* than I see going for the guys who aren't there just to pound them senseless so they can laugh about it to their mates.

By nice I mean - buys her things, selflessness, compliments her, does little favours here and there and generally tries to do what's right. Not flood her with texts asking her where she is...
    I would always love a nice boy, you know you won't be heartbroken by them (hopefully) and the compliments and selflessness would make any girl feel on top of the world, however there is a problem of being too nice which can be a bit off putting and tiring if you've got someone being constantly over nice to you.
    But OP, yes I would always opt for a nice guy over a prat any day of the week

ReputationRep:
    If you're naturally a nice person you shouldn't have to change for a girl to like you. Chances are, if you need to be some arrogant **** to get her attention she's not worth it anyway. More mature girls will tend to go for the sophisticated and nicer blokes.

splish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)

Nice is good. Clingy is not. I would find some of those things clingy and suffocating, but that is just me, i like things to move slow, and to me, those things are very very coupley.

ReputationRep:
    i would say it does. i wouldnt go for a guy who wasnt nice - theres no logic. in my opinion, the girls looking for a lasting relationship would go for nice guys, the ones looking for excitement will probably go for a 'dangerous' kind of guy.

ReputationRep:
    YES! its the most important factor for me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite surprised at the female responses in this thread. It's a tragedy true reality doesn't reflect it.

splish.

ReputationRep:
    Alot of guys are nice :/ They just aren't blatantly in someones face OH I LOVE YOU SO MUCH LEMME CURL YOUR HAIR. Which is more creepy than nice, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    a guy would definately have to be nice for me to be interested! (had my experiences with the "bad" guy and would NOT repeat it!!) i want to be treated properly and not like ****! logic really!!

however saying that - plenty of girls do like the "bad guy" maybe thinking they can change them and make them "nice" (i think this is what i thought!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)

... of course. As long as it's not over the top. Why would I want a boyfriend who's a jerk? That's not exactly a recipe for success.

ReputationRep:
    It is very important along with personality in general. I think that to an extent, age comes into it. In general, younger girls are more likely to go for the "bad boy" because they seem more exciting and they think they can change them. But in the end, I think that for nearly all girls being nice counts for a lot.

ReputationRep:
    YES nice does matter...a lot

ReputationRep:
    bad boys are ATTRACTIVE... simply because they are bad. after a short while with them though, the bad turns into 'a**hole' and then we start wishing for a nicer guy.
    ive been with enough a-holes to be on the sharp lookout for a nice guy.

ReputationRep:
    Yesum.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.