Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls: Does being a nice person actually matter? Watch

ReputationRep:
    theres being nice

and then theres being the *****

and no one likes the ***** except those that who use people and you dont to be with one of them

ReputationRep:
    See.... all girls SAY they want a nice guy, and most DO want a nice guy - but they're attracted to bad-boys. Especially teens and early twenties.

Luckily most girls tend to grow out of this bad-boy attraction and go for nice guys.

Another problem is that nice guys generally don't chat up girls - and God forbid a girl makes the first move lol - and bad-boys do make the moves, so they get the prize.

Being a nice guy is the best though - you get the best girls

I was once Mr Nice Guy - had an awesome relationship and then she broke my heart - so I became a bad-boy for a while... girls where more interested in me, i was even seeing 3 girls at once.... but the kind of girls weren't... well, they weren't very nice lol (tho neither was I at the time haha)

But I got over that phase and am back to being a Nice Guy again - and let me tell you, the very clichéd phrase of "nice guys finish last, but finish best" is very true... i'm now dating an amazing girl and things are great

So nice guys, stay nice guys! You'll get the best girls in the long run!

My 2 cents ,
    latot

ReputationRep:
    Of course being a nice person matters, it matters most. Obviously there's attraction, but I sure wouldn't want to be with someone who treated me like crap.

ReputationRep:
    My mum told me never to date a "nice man". Nice is boring, apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophistress)
    My mum told me never to date a "nice man". Nice is boring, apparently.
    Nice Guys won't cheat on you, abuse you, or make you feel like ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by latot)
    Nice Guys won't cheat on you, abuse you, or make you feel like ****
    No man can make me feel like ****.

ReputationRep:
    great lolz

I can completely understand, all my friends (girls) say I have the best personality and that I can understand them, but I never seem to be able to actually get a girl as they all seem to want the better looking(Im ok-good looking) ******* who always ends up hurting them....THIS ISN'T FAIR!!!

anyone out there for me???

ReputationRep:
    Be a nice guy. But DON'T be a meek nice guy. Be confident and funny and flirty. Whilst still being nice. And trust me, things will go well for you. YOu will have abundance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    Be a nice guy. But DON'T be a meek nice guy. Be confident and funny and flirty. Whilst still being nice. And trust me, things will go well for you. YOu will have abundance.
    What he said

ReputationRep:
    I think "nice" when used in this context usually describes a man who constantly puts women (or a particular woman) on a pedestal. That IS boring (or it gets boring pretty quickly). It doesn't mean somebody who is polite and respectful and a gentleman.

ReputationRep:
    That's not a nice guy though, that's a pathetically nice guy who has some major issues.

You can be really nice and give compliments and be chivalrous - but you also need to take the piss and keep things interesting... like me :P lol

ReputationRep:
    There is always the danger with ‘nice guys’ that they just become a good friend to have around. There has to be a physical attraction there as well, a certain amount of self-confidence and definitely a sense of humour to make them a good boyfriend.

Nice can be boring, there needs to be some kind of ‘edge’ – something to keep you interested in more than just a friendly way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected]@)
    There is always the danger with ‘nice guys’ that they just become a good friend to have around. There has to be a physical attraction there as well, a certain amount of self-confidence and definitely a sense of humour to make them a good boyfriend.

Nice can be boring, there needs to be some kind of ‘edge’ – something to keep you interested in more than just a friendly way.
    That's where most 'nice guys' go wrong - sexual escalation.. making sure that the girl they're interested in doesn't get TOO comfortable with them before they can make it obvious what theyre interested in...

The best solution is a direct approach, really - but most 'nice guys' don't have the balls for it.... way I see it, you ask them out, they say no - you move on with your life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatrollingstone)
    I'm quite surprised at the female responses in this thread. It's a tragedy true reality doesn't reflect it.

splish.
    You got to realise that women don't always mean what they think they do though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    I'm not talking about all women here, generalising across a gender is one of the stupidest things you can do, but a lot of girls I know have gone out with guys that I could tell were complete ********* but they were just too head over heels to see it. They would say to their friends "omgzz, he's suuuch a nice guy!!:love:" when they weren't being treated with any respect at all.

Then they would come crying to me about how they caught him kissing another girl, chatting up one of those girls that you pay to get naked on webcam or screamed at them for no reason at all (all real examples). Then they completely forgive them and go back to saying how great they are again. Then after several months of this they finally fall out (though in some cases this cycle is still ongoing) and they say to their friends "guys are *******s, they are all the same!" ... but has it occurred to them that perhaps it's just the guys they pick that are "all the same"? :facepalm2:

What makes it worse is that most of these are girls that I really fancied and would have treated with kindness and respect. As I say, not all girls, just a certain few that I know.
    I am exactly the same!!!!! There is this girl I really like who has come crying to me about 4 times with diffrent boyfriends, and i'm don't really want to ask them out when they are crying and by the time they have finished, they are with another boy

ReputationRep:
    Yes, majorly. I have never understood the 'bad boy' attraction. Why would you want to be with someone who is, essentially, an absolute ****?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahemery)
    Yes, majorly. I have never understand the 'bad boy' attraction. Why would you want to be with someone who is, essentially, an absolute ****?
    Because theyre interesting, spontaneous, keep things fresh and exciting and give you the adventure you want................ then they give it to other girls at the same time (which is their bad part lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    I know girls like confidence and funny guys but does being nice actually matter?

I know girls always say they want a guy to be caring and such but when it actually boils down to it I see more girls going for ********* than I see going for the guys who aren't there just to pound them senseless so they can laugh about it to their mates.

By nice I mean - buys her things, selflessness, compliments her, does little favours here and there and generally tries to do what's right. Not flood her with texts asking her where she is...
    I go for guys mostly based on personality. However, I wouldn't really be bothered whether he bought me things at all- I don't see that as being important. Being nice I see as just being kind and friendly. I'd want them to treat me in the same way I'd treat them, with respect and kindness.

I think, however, it needs to be more than that. I couldn't date someone who I had nothing in common with and wasn't interesting to talk to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by latot)
    Because theyre interesting, spontaneous, keep things fresh and exciting and give you the adventure you want
    Nice guys can be that way too though - without the trouble that the 'bad boy' brings along with it!

I guess it's each to their own, but for me it's all about having a good heart and soul.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah nice guys can do that as well - but I think in this context we're talking about Mr Nice Guy - who doesn't

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.