Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls: Does being a nice person actually matter? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Nice, yes. Wimp/doormat/push over, no.

ReputationRep:
    For me, it's more a case of those who are over-confident and quite arrogant generally get there first. The genuinely nice guys I know also seem to be quite shy, although the two don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. And because I don't usually go after boys myself, it just never works out. I'd much rather there was some sort of balance, but I don't seem to have found it yet.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is the typical nice guy.
    I love him loads, he's perfect!

My boyfriend before was a complete nob-end, so now having a guy who treats me right is just amazing!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by latot)
    Yeah nice guys can do that as well - but I think in this context we're talking about Mr Nice Guy - who doesn't
    Haha, okay. No, there is such a thing as being too nice and attentive (both men and women), defnitely. 'Nice guy' to me is someone who is confident, funny, jokey etc but still with good intentions and decent morals. But some people respond to cruelty, unfortunately. Oh well, horses for courses I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahemery)
    Haha, okay. No, there is such a thing as being too nice and attentive (both men and women), defnitely. 'Nice guy' to me is someone who is confident, funny, jokey etc but still with good intentions and decent morals. But some people respond to cruelty, unfortunately. Oh well, horses for courses I guess.

I think the word you're looking for is perfect lol!!

Haha, horses for courses - havent heard that in donkeys!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by latot)
    Because theyre interesting, spontaneous, keep things fresh and exciting and give you the adventure you want................ then they give it to other girls at the same time (which is their bad part lol)
    Is it not possible to be interesting and spontaneous without being a total ****ass? I certainly am :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Of course it does!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by latot)
    I think the word you're looking for is perfect lol!!
    Haha, is that really asking so much?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahemery)
    Haha, is that really asking so much?!
    Apparently in this day and age it is! lol

(Original post by thatrollingstone)
    Is it not possible to be interesting and spontaneous without being a total ****ass? I certainly am :cool:
    Yeah it is possible - I am one such person (though cos of my badboy phase and I learned the positives of that haha) - but just saying that "Mr Nice Guy" is not like that lol

ReputationRep:
    Buying her things doesn't make you a nice guy.

ReputationRep:
    Being nice is generally a necessary condition for me to really like someone but it certainly isn’t sufficient. You can’t just be a nice person and expect girls to fall at your feet. There has to be more to you than this. Guys seem to think that they can be either be horrible or pathetically nice, with nothing in between. Not true. No one is really that clear cut. So yes, guys don’t get anywhere with me unless they are nice, but they’re not going to get anywhere either if that’s all there is to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    I know girls like confidence and funny guys but does being nice actually matter?

I know girls always say they want a guy to be caring and such but when it actually boils down to it I see more girls going for ********* than I see going for the guys who aren't there just to pound them senseless so they can laugh about it to their mates.

By nice I mean - buys her things, selflessness, compliments her, does little favours here and there and generally tries to do what's right. Not flood her with texts asking her where she is...
    It's not about whether the guy is nice, but whether the guy is fanciable. The same way that guys will only go for girls that they are attracted. That's not to say only good looking guys get the girls, since different people have different tastes. You can't really be angry at a gril if she doesn't fancy you, she's just not that into you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by latot)
    See.... all girls SAY they want a nice guy, and most DO want a nice guy - but they're attracted to bad-boys. Especially teens and early twenties.
    Huuuuuge generalisation there, not all girls say they want a nice guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    My boyfriend is the typical nice guy.
    I love him loads, he's perfect!

My boyfriend before was a complete nob-end, so now having a guy who treats me right is just amazing!!
    I totally understand how learning from past mistakes can make you go the other way. Glad you ain't got a nob end anymore!
    My last bf was all nicey nice but it fizzled out. My new bf is mre daring and outrageous which I am loving! But he isn't a nob end.

I suppose the point I would like to make is that if you aren't all nicey nice it doesn;t mean you are automatically a prick.

ReputationRep:
    You can still have a bit of a 'cool' attitude and still be nice.
    Like tease us a bit, but then still pay for our ice-cream, it's just about finding the balance :p:

ReputationRep:
    From recent, bitter and painful experience I would suggest against being nice whatsoever.
    Obviously, thats tongue in cheek.

Apparently I was 'too nice' for my girlfriend. Absolutely pathetic. Her words - not to my face, to her friend. (Thanks)

I would advice being nice but also slightly selfish, otherwise it'll come back to shoot you in the foot, as I found out.

Her loss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    By nice I mean - buys her things, selflessness, compliments her, does little favours here and there and generally tries to do what's right. Not flood her with texts asking her where she is...
    That is a description of my boyfriend so I'd say yes, it does matter. One of the main things I love about him is how nice he is, and I look for that in a guy. And in friends too. What's the point in friendship or a relationship if someone isn't 'nice'? Not necessarily fitting your description, especially in terms of friendship, but if 'nice' isn't one of the things you'd describe them as then there's something wrong, I think.

ReputationRep:
    it matters a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindrop87)
    Huuuuuge generalisation there, not all girls say they want a nice guy
    Well every girl i've ever known has said so - and just look at all the girls on here saying the same thing... so as far as my knowledge goes it's all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riccoles)
    From recent, bitter and painful experience I would suggest against being nice whatsoever.
    Obviously, thats tongue in cheek.

Apparently I was 'too nice' for my girlfriend. Absolutely pathetic. Her words - not to my face, to her friend. (Thanks)

I would advice being nice but also slightly selfish, otherwise it'll come back to shoot you in the foot, as I found out.

Her loss
    Damn right playa, well done!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.