Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you try to change college and ask your college to release you, what happens if you are not given a place by another college? Does the original college still have to keep your place for you or would that mean you can't matriculate?

If anyone knows, that'd be great!

Es

ReputationRep:
    You get banished to another realm, never to be seen again.

...That, or nothing - You either get moved to another college or keep your current one.

ReputationRep:
    You're offer won't be in jeopardy, if that's what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    Is their any chance of changing college either on results day maybe or when I actually get to university???

any advice would be great, especially from those who either share the desire to change college or have experienced a change!!!!

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I have taken the plunge and written to Ustinov so am now waiting to hear from my other choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02oclarke)
    Is their any chance of changing college either on results day maybe or when I actually get to university???
    I believe it has been done but we aren't running the colleges, so we can't really say. I think if someone is really unhappy where they are and has given it a proper go (not just in the first week deciding they'd prefer another), it might be possible. That's normally after trying all sorts of other things, like changing rooms, though.. It's best to accept what you've got.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right....I was just wondering what the likelihood of contacting the uni on results day and just asking to change....because there is bound to be a lot of pooling with people not meeting their offers!!

ReputationRep:
    I guess it all depends on which college you're in and where you want to be, if for example you wanted to be in Hatfield and didn't get in because they were already full and ended up in say Grey, but you're not happy there then asking if you can be assigned to another college and stating a preference might work. I'm not sure about undergraduate applicants but for my postgrad application i was asked to choose a college (so I picked Castle) but wasn't given the option of choosing a 2nd or 3rd choice to fall back on if i was unsuccessful. I was lucky and did get into my chosen college. If however I hadn't been as lucky I might have been tempted to email the Graduate Admissions office asking them if it was possible to swap to another college if i was unhappy with the college I'd ended up in.

ReputationRep:
    basically i applied to Hatfield and was pooled to Mary's....it does look alright, but i was set on Hatfield and it just suited what i was looking for in a college! I won't be to disappointed if I couldn't change but i was wondering what was the best way of going about asking?

ReputationRep:
    Any idea on which college you'd like to try next? i suppose it might depend on whether you want accom or not, if not you may be in a better chance of getting into another college, if you do want accom it might be a little more tricky! I guess if you picked Hatfield for it's traditional feel then you'll get a bit of that in Mary's. To be honest I didn't really look at all of the colleges, it was always a choice between Hatfield and Castle for me and i decided on Castle. I've been in Grey and St. Aidans a few times so i know a bit about them.

ReputationRep:
    Well i was basically going to ring up on results day and ask them if there was any spaces at either Hatfield or an other successful sporting college with tradition!!! Their are bound to be a place or two due to people missing the offers........i can only wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)
    Any idea on which college you'd like to try next? i suppose it might depend on whether you want accom or not, if not you may be in a better chance of getting into another college, if you do want accom it might be a little more tricky! I guess if you picked Hatfield for it's traditional feel then you'll get a bit of that in Mary's. To be honest I didn't really look at all of the colleges, it was always a choice between Hatfield and Castle for me and i decided on Castle. I've been in Grey and St. Aidans a few times so i know a bit about them.
    Ive e-mailed Collingwood and St Cuths.......Ive also spoke to Mary's who inform me that it is up to them whether they want to release me or not....soo im now just waiting untill the 20th and results day when i shall ring Mary's and try and sort it!!

ReputationRep:
    Ive e-mailed Collingwood and St Cuths.......Ive also spoke to Mary's who inform me that it is up to them whether they want to release me or not....soo im now just waiting untill the 20th and results day when i shall ring Mary's and try and sort it!!
    Cuth's is full as far as I know, it's quite a popular one and I think the fact that some post-graduates go there who won't have been assigned will make it hard to get in. We generally don't like Hatfielders either, from what I've heard :p: (Although I think that's not only us..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyNameIsDave)
    Cuth's is full as far as I know, it's quite a popular one and I think the fact that some post-graduates go there who won't have been assigned will make it hard to get in. We generally don't like Hatfielders either, from what I've heard :p: (Although I think that's not only us..)
    Oh right fair enough....what college are you at???? I dont really mind which college as long as its larger and with a better sporting reputation...sport is massively important to me so id prefer Collingwood for example as Mary's doesn't have the greatest record!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh right fair enough....what college are you at???? I dont really mind which college as long as its larger and with a better sporting reputation...sport is massively important to me so id prefer Collingwood for example as Mary's doesn't have the greatest record!!
    Cuth's :-P We do meet your criteria, I think they won the rugby last or something, and it's a bigger college. Unfortunately it's also very popular and I doubt they'd have space for someone wanting to transfer. Your best bet is probably less popular colleges, and besides from Butler, I'm not sure which ones those are..

ReputationRep:
    If anyone wants to change College, they should start by speaking to their current College, who will know or be able to find out what space is available at other Colleges - it saves a lot of e-mailing/ringing individual colleges to find out if they've got space and from our perspective (I'm Senior Tutor at Collingwood) saves us having to tell a succession of enquirers we're full when I need only tell my colleagues in other colleges once. This applies at undergrad and postgrad level. Your place at the University could not be put at risk by making the enquiry and there is no point at which you would have no College to go to. Changing College after you have matriculated would be much harder than doing it before you get to Durham, since that then needs the personal permission of the Vice-Chancellor and is only done where it can be demonstrated that the person concerned needs to change, rather than simply wishes to change, however fervently they wish it, so do explore whatever possibilities you wish to before you get here. Please try to feel positive about your College allocation before you get here and don't assume you'll be able to change if you're not happy once you get here. It's not possible for everybody to be in the College they prefer - the number of spaces available in each subject don't match the number of preferences - but most people love the College they're in in the end and 90% or more of the experience relates to the fact you're in a College rather than the specific identity of the College in question.

ReputationRep:
    I've been very fortunate as I got in to Hatfield from Ustinov I just got the confirmation today and I am really pleased as Hatfield has an art room which is something which is important to me and has pastoral support too.

I'm sure all the colleges have their advantages but I think when you feel important areas of your life are not going to be met then it's best to try and get a change.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.