Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would these A Levels get me into a good university? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    English Lit, History, Politics and Film Studies (I'd probably drop film at the end of year 12.) I want to study History at University.

ReputationRep:
    Won't get you into a great one, no. But get A's and i'm sure a good few would take you.

ReputationRep:
    Why not a great one? Ignore ^^

I can't think of any universities that would turn away someone with English Lit, History and Politics to study History, as long as the grades were good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)

I can't think of any universities that would turn away someone with English Lit, History and Politics to study History, as long as the grades were good enough.
    Agreed. Just make sure you do well in them and that's a good set of subjects for History.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yes, depending on your grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    Won't get you into a great one, no. But get A's and i'm sure a good few would take you.
    Which Universities wouldnt? Politics, History and Eng lit are a great combination for History no?

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, it's better to have 4 good AS levels, rather than 3 good and 1 that isn't very respected, even if you do drop it after AS.

Have you thought about maths or another respected essay subject, such as a language?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can get into a really good uni providing you have alright grades and can prove you are interested in History.
    You havent really got any 'soft' subjects, Film is one but you are only doing it at AS. So shouldnt be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)

absolutely agree!
    as long as you get good grades in eng lit history and politics then you shouldn't have any problems, OP

ReputationRep:
    yeh you could get into a good uni, the idea of hard and soft subjects is elitist BS anyway, just study what you want as long as you enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    yes i agree with everyone else, as long as you get good grades.. but i don't think it matters as Eng Lit, History and Politics are all strong subjects (well i'm not familiar with politics) but it might just depend on whether u want a really good uni as there may be lots of competition.
    i think i am very lucky with mine, even though one of my subjects is Art i still got an offer to do a maths degree

I'm sure you'll be fine but good luck anyway and as long as you enjoy your subjects (as those 3 look like very heavy stuff!) then you shall be ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz08)
    Which Universities wouldnt? Politics, History and Eng lit are a great combination for History no?
    If you know that why are you asking:p: I just have this thing where I expect Oxbridge to require a ridiculous amount of A grades. All other universities on the other hand you should be fine assuming you get the grades. Check their prospectus' online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    In my opinion, it's better to have 4 good AS levels, rather than 3 good and 1 that isn't very respected, even if you do drop it after AS.

Have you thought about maths or another respected essay subject, such as a language?
    i don't think its a good idea to do a subject just becasue its "respected" when they might not even like it! and anyway, 4 "heavy" subjects in AS may be stressful....:yes:

ReputationRep:
    If you get good grades...

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are fine. But just to be on the safe side, why not do something you enjoy that is more highly regarded than Film studies?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I just have this thing where I expect Oxbridge to require a ridiculous amount of A grades.
    erm...no, basically.

ReputationRep:
    If you know that why are you asking:p: I just have this thing where I expect Oxbridge to require a ridiculous amount of A grades. All other universities on the other hand you should be fine assuming you get the grades. Check their prospectus' online.
    But the OP did not mention any grades just the subjects :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not if you get E's for them all...

ReputationRep:
    Dependant on your grades, i should say so.

ReputationRep:
    Film is probably going to be a less stressful subject for you to study, so if that's what you're interested in, do it. Instead of piling more work on and maybe coming out with 3 B's, instead of 3 A's, because you couldn't hack it. One of my A-Levels was Media and I got 5 offers from good Universities to study English, so ... y'know. Depends what you class as a "good" university.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.