Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can instrumental music communicate messages to people? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is a question that has been puzzling me.

Edited for clarity

ReputationRep:
    I know that 2pac put down some deep ass lyrics on some epic beats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    I know that 2pac put down some deep ass lyrics on some epic beats.
    Keep talk about 2pac in the Theology section

ReputationRep:
    Some lyrics can be deep and meaningful whilst I've never understood any **** Spice Girls and Girls Aloud's been singing about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thethinker)
    Keep talk about 2pac in the Theology section
    Why's his name 2pac? Because he doesn't have 6pac :mmm:

Sorry. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    2pac, Immortal technique and definitely Bob Marley.

And at a certain time Michael Jackson.

ReputationRep:
    Well, while it is widely open to interpretation, I think GOOD music does have a meaning because its composer must have wanted to convey something through his/her music.

Great topic by the way, really made me think

ReputationRep:
    2pac is called 2pac because his name was Tupac [Shakur]. Yes I think some lyrics are very meaningful. Infact as far as lyrics go, The Moonlight Sonata is the most meaningful piece of music I've ever heard..

ReputationRep:
    shakespeare put it best:

"If music be the food of love, play on."

Music can evoke some serious emotions, in some cultures certain music and melodies is supposed to invoke the rain to fall and things like that...music is a seriously powerful medium of expression didn't realise its having meaning would be in any doubt whatsoever?!

ReputationRep:
    I think it does, it has a strong sense of portraying emotion, when you can't express it yourself. There's music with lyrics, which sings of certain stuff and much of the lyrics you can relate to. On the other hand theres the instrumental music.. such as classic music, einaudi for example. Just by listening to it you get this strong sense of emotion even if there are no words.. you know what the music is about..Then there's movies... the instrumental music there has a BIG impact on the scene. Can you imagine Harry Potter for example without the music in the background?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    I think it does, it has a strong sense of portraying emotion, when you can't express it yourself. There's music with lyrics, which sings of certain stuff and much of the lyrics you can relate to. On the other hand theres the instrumental music.. such as classic music, einaudi for example. Just by listening to it you get this strong sense of emotion even if there are no words.. you know what the music is about..Then there's movies... the instrumental music there has a BIG impact on the scene. Can you imagine Harry Potter for example without the music in the background?
    omg omg we have the same thumbnail photo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    2pac, Immortal technique and definitely Bob Marley.

And at a certain time Michael Jackson.
    Yes some of his music gives a powerful message. this may sound lame, but I was looking at all american rejects lyrics, and even they have some really thoughtful songs. other bands which may not be as prominent in the spotlight also. I find it irritating how so much attention goes to artists that sing about meaningless stuff :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meenapixi)
    omg omg we have the same thumbnail photo!
    Haha! I noticed! I was like... hey wait a minute, I'm sure I only posted once, then realised....no! Its meenapixi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    Yes some of his music gives a powerful message. this may sound lame, but I was looking at all american rejects lyrics, and even they have some really thoughtful songs. other bands which may not be as prominent in the spotlight also. I find it irritating how so much attention goes to artists that sing about meaningless stuff :/
    Yahh like Lady GaGa :no:

I do like some of her songs though :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahds)
    Haha! I noticed! I was like... hey wait a minute, I'm sure I only posted once, then realised....no! Its meenapixi
    mee too and then I realise...no! Its Sahds its such a small world...even on TSR, the love between pon & zi is comparable to that of romeo and juliet...anthony and cleopatra....david and victoria beckham :P teehee

ReputationRep:
    All music has meaning, but the meaning isn't always good, sadly - so much of todays music is made with one thing in mind. Money.

ReputationRep:
    OP did you mean lyrics or music as in piano/guitar/whichever instrument?

Of course lyrics will have a meaning (in 99% of cases). Whether music in itself has meaning is more open to debate (though I think yes).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    OP did you mean lyrics or music as in piano/guitar/whichever instrument?

Of course lyrics will have a meaning (in 99% of cases). Whether music in itself has meaning is more open to debate (though I think yes).
    I mean instrumental music as lyrics have meaning. Changed threat title to avoid misunderstandings. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I definatly think music has a meaning. However, I like it when bands (using AFI) as my example, don't tell fans the meaning of their songs so that the listener works out their own meaning which makes the songs more personal, which i think is awesome

ReputationRep:
    If any form of sound, including our voice, has meaning, then music has meaning, it is merely in a different language. Meaning is found and interpreted by the listener.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.