Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, going to New York on 26 aug for a week and am staying in the warrington hotel just below central park. Is this a good place to stay? Also does anyone have any advice on things to do whilst there? Lastly, but most importantly...where are all the shops!?! X

ReputationRep:
    For shops head to times square and 5th avenue. Have a look in Chinatown too for shopping.
    Do the touristy things like Empire state and Statue of Liberty.
    Oh its a shame its not winter you could have done ice skating in Central Park! Take a trip on a tour bus, shows you loads around Manhattan and gives you info too!
    Food places I would recommend Ellen's stardust diner that's a fun place, Hard rock cafe although that can get quite loud. I warn you cabs can be expensive too.

Oh it makes me remember how much I love New York
    Been twice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan1990)
    For shops head to times square and 5th avenue. Have a look in Chinatown too for shopping.
    Do the touristy things like Empire state and Statue of Liberty.
    Oh its a shame its not winter you could have done ice skating in Central Park! Take a trip on a tour bus, shows you loads around Manhattan and gives you info too!
    Food places I would recommend Ellen's stardust diner that's a fun place, Hard rock cafe although that can get quite loud. I warn you cabs can be expensive too.

Oh it makes me remember how much I love New York
    Been twice

Lucky sod! Thanks for your help. Can i be a pain and ask another question... is new york reli as dangerous as some people say? My boyfriends mum absolutely freaked wen i told her we were going there as she went a few years ago and said she felt reli intimidated on the subway and stuff and she just felt it wasn't safe for us. Now i'm absolutely petfrified and have convinced myself i'm gona get stabbed or something! I know what your saying about the cabs...i was planning on using the subway alot but now i'm not so sure... Xx

ReputationRep:
    Oh the place is absolutely fine, just dont go into spanish harlem at 2 in the morning. The place has really cleaned up its act in the last few years. I went in Easter and we were wondering around late into the night. Police everywhere. As for taxi's, they are expenisve. traveling around I would do by subway, its not that bad, though confusing at time. Getting to and from the air port the cheapest way is by subway however if its very late then get a shuttle bus because these are far cheaper than the $45 taxis...

umm... dont know what to say really...i never did anything touristy other than ground zero because its so darn expensive. $25 to go up the state building...thats what google maps is for!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StaceyRipp)
    Lucky sod! Thanks for your help. Can i be a pain and ask another question... is new york reli as dangerous as some people say? My boyfriends mum absolutely freaked wen i told her we were going there as she went a few years ago and said she felt reli intimidated on the subway and stuff and she just felt it wasn't safe for us. Now i'm absolutely petfrified and have convinced myself i'm gona get stabbed or something! I know what your saying about the cabs...i was planning on using the subway alot but now i'm not so sure... Xx
    A good rule of thumb is avoid anything about 110th Street in the daytime, and don't go past 80th at night.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going there for the 5th time in January, and the first time that I went, we stayed up near central park, but the hotel was shocking. Getting a good grip on using the Subway is always handy, as taxis are often few and far between. Heading to Macy's on west 34th is always fun, as it is absoloutely massive. In Chinatown, go quite deep into it, as there are many little shops which sell really nice clothes etc.
    Have a fab holiday
    P.S, it isn't dangerous at all imo, I spent quite a lot of time alone, and had no problem getting the subway at night

ReputationRep:
    Lucky, I'd love to go to New York one day.

ReputationRep:
    It isnt at all. Like someone said its improved alot over the years. I actually feel safer in NY than London, London freaks me out lol.

What I'd recommend is wearing a bag you can have across you so its so close to you at all times, its what we were told the first time I went with my school.
    Um I never took the subway, first time I went with my school we had a 3 day pass for the tour bus which was $99 and it also got you into empire state for free and the second time my hotel was the Radisson Lexington so I was close to everything I wanted so I walked

For airport to hotel transfers go for a shuttle bus

ReputationRep:
    I lived there for a year and didn't get mugged if it makes you feel better
    Don't show off your money too much, as in if you don't need your camera put it away and so on. Also always keep an eye on all your belongings, especially when it is crowded liek on the subway because you don't realize if you get robbed that fast. And if you have a diamond ring you are supposed to turn it around i.e. the diamond facing the inside of your hand so no one sees how big it is. :p: Not that I ever neded that advice but I got it so there you go
    Use the subway, it is easy to udnerstand and pretty fast. As long as you stay in the touristy areas and or where a lot of people are around when you are alone. That said I also took one night trip into China Town when everything was closed and no one was around and was fine too, but it's not advisable. I was scared as hell :o:
    Let me know if you want to know anything else, it's the greatest city in the world (in my opinion) :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Best city in the world! I've been there lots of times, its a lot safer than most UK cities!

Go to Grenwich Village for drinks at night, its awesome!

Koronets Pizza on around 110th street & Broadway is world famous and the most HUGE slices in the world!!!

Also visit Brooklyn, the Park, Botanical Gardens & the Park Slope area which has tons of cafes, restaurants, bars etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewGiddings)
    A good rule of thumb is avoid anything about 110th Street in the daytime, and don't go past 80th at night.
    It's not the 1980's anymore. I stayed on about 125th last year for a while and came back consistently at 1-2 in the morning, didn't feel particularly threatened.

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking for good but down to earth night life go to the MePa (Meat packing lol) district....great places to hang out with really interesting people. There are sooooo many things to do in NYC..this Sunday we had breakfast at this broadway themed diner where all the waiters sing broadway tunes while you eat...good times!

ReputationRep:
    God you're wrong. I've hung out at 118th at midnight. There was a deli with an owner who recognised me because it was right next to the inn!

Harlem isn't so bad you can't go past 80th at night. That's ridiculous.

As for the OP, do a frigging search godamnit!

Edit: Go to 2 Bros Pizza on 9th and 42nd though. A slice is $1, or two slices and a soda for $2.70.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for all your replies! I have taken on all your advise and will just be careful when i'm there. tbh, i go to London loads and absolutely love it and feel pretty safe most places there so i should be fine in NY! I can't believe all you people that have been more than once...lucky! I've had to save my wages for 4 months (literally not touched the money at all!) to be able to afford this! I can't wait to have a slice of American pizza! I'm so sad! Thanks again.
    XxXxx

ReputationRep:
    I felt safer walking through New York at night than London during the day!

As for things to do, a good surprise we found was to do the 'Top of the Rock' tour which is going up to the roof of the Rockafellar Centre. Personally I though the view was better than the Empire State. Also don't miss the big toy shop on 5th Avenue; FAO Swartz!

ReputationRep:
    Look at all these guys telling a girl where they felt safe.

ReputationRep:
    Uhm, just trying to point out that people have the stupidest misconceptions about Harlem. Whoever suggested to you that going past 80th Street at night is bad probably never went past 59th during their whole trip.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i can take care of myself...i think! All these commments about where not to go is making me want to go to them to see if they are as bad as people are saying! I'll def go during the day tho...i may be a bit stupid but i'm not suicidal! :p: x

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i can take care of myself...i think! All these commments about where not to go is making me want to go to them to see if they are as bad as people are saying! I'll def go during the day tho...i may be a bit stupid but i'm not suicidal! :p: x
    Well some of the other guys are right really. It's not as bad as it once was, and it;s not like there's a street you cross that suddenly takes you from paradise to Hades. I think the smartest thing is just to stay switched on and, wherever you are, if you start to feel unsafe for whatever reason then just go back to where you do feel safe. New York is awesome and you'll have the best time.

ReputationRep:
    Heyy. i went last week. It was more than i imagined. Went for six days..alot of walking ..amazing place..i cant wait to go back. Central Park is about 15/20 min walk from Times Square ..we stayed at Radisson.

There are some good tours too like TV and Movie tour which lasts 3 hours and over, SATC tour , Gossip Girl Tour. We also did NY Waterways cruise at sunset and just seeing the statue of liberty under a tanned orange skyline is dazzling. Went to central park and it was great. Americans are excersing (some very cute eye candy aswell) lol..we ran into some drummists and there was a huge crowd gathering which was a highlight..very festival like..theres always something like that going on.....

It's such a good time to go also because you get loads for your money. So very cheap to shop there.

Shops are everywhere!!!

Times Square: MnMs World, MTV Store, Hard Rock Cafe Shop, Billabong, Hersheys world, Planet Hollywood Shop, ToyRus(For adults too-Massive ferris wheel inside lol).

Saks Fifth: All the designer shops you could think of..

Soho: Topshop and lots and lots of shops i dont really know the name of but they were fab

Chinatown: Crazy crazy crazy... 50 + men selling knock off designers ..jam packed when i went

Everyone is a tourist there and peeps are generally veryy nice..everyones in the same boat.

Do Top Of The Rock at the Rocafeller Centre at night..its a gem ..and if you get up early enough you could catch your fav artist on the Today Show in the Rocafeller Centre which happens every morning...

Try not to buy stuff from people on the streets of Times Square even if it seems like a good deal. Especially the Comedy ones.. They will talk you down until you buy them so just walk away.. If you want to go to one get them from booths.

Sit on the steps of Times Square at night..youll be mingling with tourists alike

Just a few things done when i went............

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.