Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which courses does the NHS pay the tuition fees for?

I know of two...Orthoptics and additional years after 4 for medicine

Anyone know of a list or help create one on here? (No order)

Some biomed courses at Essex
    Nursing
    5th (&6th) Year of Medicine
    Orthoptics
    Clinical Physiology
    * Arts therapies
    * Chiropody or Podiatry
    * Dietetics
    * Operating department practice
    * Orthoptics
    * Occupational Therapy
    * Physiotherapy
    * Prosthetics and Orthotics
    * Psychology
    * Psychotherapy
    * Radiography
    * Speech and Language Therapy
    Audiology
    dental hygienist or dental therapist

ReputationRep:
    Clinical Physiology (my sister does it )
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Nursing I believe.

ReputationRep:
    I think most allied health professions? Though I would double check, nursing and midwifery and some sort of dental nursing I think?
    * Arts therapies
    * Chiropody or Podiatry
    * Dietetics
    * Operating department practice
    * Orthoptics
    * Occupational Therapy
    * Physiotherapy
    * Prosthetics and Orthotics
    * Psychology
    * Psychotherapy
    * Radiography
    * Speech and Language Therapy
    Though like I said, double check. Do orthoptics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foundintransmission)
    I think most allied health professions? Though I would double check, nursing and midwifery and some sort of dental nursing I think?

Though like I said, double check. Do orthoptics
    Well I'm thinking of doing Medicine but very unlikely that I'll get in...So need a back-up. I am thinking of orthoptics but need some other ideas too. What is orthoptics like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz08)
    Well I'm thinking of doing Medicine but very unlikely that I'll get in...So need a back-up. I am thinking of orthoptics but need some other ideas too. What is orthoptics like?
    I'm not quite there yet haha, so I can't really tell you. I'd definitely advise shadowing in a hospital for at least half a day, there's nothing to loose and you get a feel for what sort of things you see. I messaged a friend on facebook with a load of information, so I'll copy and paste that to you in a message, there's alot of information in there. If you're applying for medicine maybe you could go ahead and apply for optometry? It's optics but not nhs paid? But the entry requirements are higher.
    I'll send you that information though now, might be handy for you

ReputationRep:
    Speech and Language therapy they definitely do.

audiology

ReputationRep:
    Oh and, opthoptics isn't right, sorry! :o: Orthoptics is the one you want. Optometry is the one to be an optician which isn't NHS funded :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foundintransmission)
    Oh and, opthoptics isn't right, sorry! :o: Orthoptics is the one you want. Optometry is the one to be an optician which isn't NHS funded :o:
    Thanks...that was a typo! Is Optometry very competitive?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks...that was a typo! Is Optometry very competitive?
    Meh, more so than it used to be, again, work experience is useful, finding out some info here and there, again, useful. More and more people are applying though, and after your 3 years at university you need to have a pre-registration year, [it's like a year of practice doing what you actually would do, you get paid and you get exams at the end of it]. Should get down to your local opticians and ask to shadow or something, I work in my local specsavers, we tend to let people shadow and that a bit, so you might be better going a bigger opticians. But yeah

ReputationRep:
    a few biomed courses do, one at my uni, paids your fees in full, 4 years with a placement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    a few biomed courses do, one at my uni, paids your fees in full, 4 years with a placement
    Can you tell me some of the unis please

ReputationRep:
    Can you tell me some of the unis please
    i know essex a few places are
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Some Paramedic courses are funded by the local ambulance trusts so kind of NHS funded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happy_Holidays)
    Some Paramedic courses are funded by the local ambulance trusts so kind of NHS funded.
    Do they get paid by the ambulance services as EMT2/3 after they pass second year?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Renal)
    Do they get paid by the ambulance services as EMT2/3 after they pass second year?
    No. If you go the trust route then you are paid as a clinical student. If you go the university route the on some courses you will be given a bursary and have your fees paid for you. Most university courses are only 2 years.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.