Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's your favourite type of music ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Classical - Mozart used to be my favourite, but I'm really getting into Debussy and Chopin these days :3 But Jupiter, from Holst's "The Planets" Suite *-* Makes me happy every time =D
    Rock - Anything really, the type of rock varies. Muse, Atreyu, Coheed & Cambria, Circa Survive, Fall of Troy, Madina Lake, Rise Against, etc...
    Anime/J-Rock - Utada Hikaru, Naitomea, An Cafe, IOSYS...
    Random stuff~! E.g. Coldplay, Gorillaz, Calvin Harris... Caramelldansen! :P

ReputationRep:
    Progressive rock (very Pink Floyd and Genesis orientated). Then back through the proper rhythm and blues and further back into the classicals.

Any conventional rock that has a strong blues base is good too - Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits and most of the Queen stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maximum Velocity)
    Mine is the slow jams .....

Jamie Foxx
    Boyz 2 men
    Jodeci
    K-ci
    Keith Sweat

And so on........

How about you guys ?
    Never heard of those 'things'/bands/people. I'm starting to feel old and so out of fashion. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    glad you agree

ReputationRep:
    Black Metal, Doom Metal, Rock, Industrial, Classical, Soundtracks and a bit of cheesy pop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cornford4)
    Stone roses are awesome :yep:

glad you agree

ReputationRep:
    im quite loving hollywood undead, they are so great, its good that people are FINALLY hearing them after like 3 years lol. also girugamesh, and who can forget, slipknot. actually there's loads of bands/types of music that i like at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    Never heard of those 'things'/bands/people. I'm starting to feel old and so out of fashion. :cry:
    Late 80's and 90's slow jam artists. Everyone knows them lol , don't cry :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Anti-folk

and you can't beat a bit of cyndi lauper megamix to get you up in the morning

ReputationRep:
    Mostly alternative and some drum and bass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obscurename)
    Prog Rock - Pink Floyd, King Crimson, (early) Genesis, Alan Parson's Project etc.
    Remind me to send some high rep your way, for music taste made of win. I'd take quite a bit of the newer Genesis along with the old stuff though. Actually, just make that any Genesis, to tell you the truth - love the conventional stuff at the end but also love the old experimental tones of things like The Knife and suchlike. And of course the Pink Floyd. Both of these examples are artists that write songs as writers pen poetry (it reads almost in the same way) which just adds to brilliance.

Not too intimate with King Crimson, maybe I'll take that as a recommendation to follow it up at the nearest opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    '-' O_^ '-'
    Sleaze Rock, Glam Metal, Heavy Metal & Classic Rock.
    Crashdiet, Hardcore Superstar, Backyard Babies, Motley Crue, LA Guns, GnR, Blackrain, Peep Show, Gemini 5, Slaughter, Sister, Twisted Sister, Def Leppard, Kiss, White Lion, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, 220 Volt, Lillian Axe, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, Ratt, Sabbath, Cinderella, Dokken, Hanoi Rocks, Dream Theater, Europe, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Queen, Roxx Gang, Skid Row, Ugly Kid Joe, WASP etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    Remind me to send some high rep your way, for music taste made of win. I'd take quite a bit of the newer Genesis along with the old stuff though. Actually, just make that any Genesis, to tell you the truth - love the conventional stuff at the end but also love the old experimental tones of things like The Knife and suchlike. And of course the Pink Floyd. Both of these examples are artists that write songs as writers pen poetry (it reads almost in the same way) which just adds to brilliance.

Not too intimate with King Crimson, maybe I'll take that as a recommendation to follow it up at the nearest opportunity.

You should try out King Crimson. Up there competing with Pink Floyd for my favourite prog rock band. I recommend listening to their album "In the Court of the Crimson King". My favourite of their albums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustYourTypicalBlonde)
    Anyone else into older stuff like; Inxs, Inspiral Carpets, Stone Roses etc....

nope, didn't think so

Yay! Inspiral Carpets

ReputationRep:
    from Faithless to SOAD
    from the Doors to DEVO
    and from Joy Division to the Hives

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obscurename)

You should try out King Crimson. Up there competing with Pink Floyd for my favourite prog rock band. I recommend listening to their album "In the Court of the Crimson King". My favourite of their albums.
    Wasn't that the kinda mural-based (front cover) concept album? I remember a TV program with a lot of these types of albums on, and I'm trying to remember if King Crimson were on it.

The thing is, about a year ago I'd have said that nothing could overtake Pink Floyd in my book (very stubborn). However, I think Genesis has just about tipped it in that year. It's a tough one to call, and I really don't want to have to commit.

EDIT - Bingo. Fripp rang bells, so they were on that program and I do know where you're at. Yeah, they were the kinda unstable band, with lots of musicians adding in excerpts which added up to epics.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't that the kinda mural-based (front cover) concept album? I remember a TV program with a lot of these types of albums on, and I'm trying to remember if King Crimson were on it.

The thing is, about a year ago I'd have said that nothing could overtake Pink Floyd in my book (very stubborn). However, I think Genesis has just about tipped it in that year. It's a tough one to call, and I really don't want to have to commit.
    That's the cover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cultivated)
    :eek: you haven't heard of Jodeci, K-ci & jo jo and keith Sweat .........wow

i guess you must be the rock type

ReputationRep:
    EDIT - Bingo. Fripp rang bells, so they were on that program and I do know where you're at. Yeah, they were the kinda unstable band, with lots of musicians adding in excerpts which added up to epics.
    Sorry, sneaking a cheeky edit in there. As soon as I saw the name Fripp, I had flashbacks to the program I was talking about (BBC3 - something along the lines of 'the History of Rock'). I remember they spoke of lots of fallings out and things like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurah5498)
    Yay! Inspiral Carpets
    really?
    never met anyone else (my age) that has heard of them

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.