Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys;

please help me our with some if not all of these, have looked at the other threads but still confused, plus it's a stimulating discussion

in brief: IB coordinator dissapeared, so did my research, but just a few questions of interest:

Can I get moderated internal assessment remarked? (no mention of that in the vade mecum and presumably that wouldn't work out as they would give the same grade (that's what moderations do apparently - youre stuck with it)... although those are subjective criteria)

Were you able to get copies of your bad exams or did you get them remarked straight away?

Are remarks only worth it if you either:
    - got like level 2 when you shold've got 7,
    - or you are like 1% away from the next level (do examiners try to get you that extra %?)

Can I retake internally assessed material? How about externally assessed work like the extended essay?

If yes, can I just amend my previous coursework? (lol that would be too easy)

As a matter of fact, if I resit, I think I need to resit all my exams next nov for a subject and the IA doesn't change (so I can't retake individual exams?)

For a retake, if I do worst than my previous score, does my new score replace the previous one? (I know that's the case for remarks)

Does this appear on my IB diploma as retake, and may be looked down upon by unis? (I think it does though but even oxbridge have accepted alevel retakes)

Do you think it is worth revising everything again and spending time off from uni doing the exams in Nov09? (it would indeed drive me crazy and would rather concentreate on uni degree and get a first, so my IB grades wont be staining my cv as much)

enjoy your summer break

the IB survivor

ReputationRep:
    and also how long do these requests to the IB take - about 6 weeks I heard - wtf!

ReputationRep:
    for remark it takes less than 2 weeks, i have friends who already got their results back.

ReputationRep:
    I already got my results back, and they are disappointing. I got exactly the same marks as in the first place, which upsets me and makes me think they got a wrong ToK essay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IB_struggling_survivor)
    Hey guys;

please help me our with some if not all of these, have looked at the other threads but still confused, plus it's a stimulating discussion

in brief: IB coordinator dissapeared, so did my research, but just a few questions of interest:

Can I get moderated internal assessment remarked? (no mention of that in the vade mecum and presumably that wouldn't work out as they would give the same grade (that's what moderations do apparently - youre stuck with it)... although those are subjective criteria)

Were you able to get copies of your bad exams or did you get them remarked straight away?

- or you are like 1% away from the next level (do examiners try to get you that extra %?)

Can I retake internally assessed material? How about externally assessed work like the extended essay?

As a matter of fact, if I resit, I think I need to resit all my exams next nov for a subject and the IA doesn't change (so I can't retake individual exams?)

For a retake, if I do worst than my previous score, does my new score replace the previous one? (I know that's the case for remarks)

Does this appear on my IB diploma as retake, and may be looked down upon by unis? (I think it does though but even oxbridge have accepted alevel retakes)

Do you think it is worth revising everything again and spending time off from uni doing the exams in Nov09? (it would indeed drive me crazy and would rather concentreate on uni degree and get a first, so my IB grades wont be staining my cv as much)

enjoy your summer break

the IB survivor
    Moderated internal assessment cannot get remarked. The Vade Mecum does state this info under 'Category 1 - Enquiry Upon Results". Sorry
    Remarks can go up by many % at times..so you dont need to be only off by 1%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by master135)
    Moderated internal assessment cannot get remarked. The Vade Mecum does state this info under 'Category 1 - Enquiry Upon Results". Sorry
    Are you absolutely sure that there aren't any exceptions? My math portfolio was moderated down from a clear 6 to a 3 which I'm so angry about...:mad: Can't you complain about the results or something?

ReputationRep:
    ito - that's great, that means i can decide to remark others when i get my english remark back - (as 15sept is dealine)

emuiba - lol, thats sucks. yeh tok i got B, lots at my school got like Ds although they were predicted As. I wanted to get a copy of my work so I know where I went wrong (for english), but for some reason my IB coord just sent it

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by master135

Are you absolutely sure that there aren't any exceptions? My math portfolio was moderated down from a clear 6 to a 3 which I'm so angry about... Can't you complain about the results or something?

-------------

yeh the vade seem to say i cant remark cwk, that sucks - i can get a report of moderation though (whats the point of that if i cant remark???)
    My maths protfolio went down from 37/40 to 27/40 - wtf, apparently moderators dont give a s**t about us, lol

also I may think retakes are for individual subject right, not cwk?

ReputationRep:
    done more reaserch,

form the VM of 2000 something, not his year though.
    you can retake internall assesments or you can keep your revious one, im assuming tok and ee also.
    i know noting of the deadlines for such a thing. but you have to attend classes so that the teachers can say you made then and that you did not copy or something like that. but if there are other means through which the scool can verify its authentificy than i guess there is no problem (read somwhere, cover sheet maby, that the teacher has to say how they know the work is authentic.). Still it is up to the school (teacher) to say if you attended or not.

you can get internall assesments remarked, but its way more difficult, your school can actaully ask for a remark, you can ask the schhol to ask.

i dont think you can retake and remark the same subject (rumours),

registration deadlines, are you sure about date, taught it was way closer seeng how the school is kida rushing me about it, well they may just know i like to take my sweet time (they even made posters about the sanctity of deadlines, might have had someting to do with me... and a 6 in dossier...)

whats the diffrance between retake and resit? they are the same thing right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ito725)
    done more reaserch,

form the VM of 2000 something, not his year though.
    you can retake internall assesments or you can keep your revious one, im assuming tok and ee also.
    i know noting of the deadlines for such a thing. but you have to attend classes so that the teachers can say you made then and that you did not copy or something like that. but if there are other means through which the scool can verify its authentificy than i guess there is no problem (read somwhere, cover sheet maby, that the teacher has to say how they know the work is authentic.). Still it is up to the school (teacher) to say if you attended or not.

you can get internall assesments remarked, but its way more difficult, your school can actaully ask for a remark, you can ask the schhol to ask.

i dont think you can retake and remark the same subject (rumours),

registration deadlines, are you sure about date, taught it was way closer seeng how the school is kida rushing me about it, well they may just know i like to take my sweet time (they even made posters about the sanctity of deadlines, might have had someting to do with me... and a 6 in dossier...)

whats the diffrance between retake and resit? they are the same thing right?
    yeh i have the 2007 vade, now called resourc es for IB or somthing.

I wouldnt mind attedning a few classes but teachers have all disapered. though i could arrange

are you sure we can retake, i thought it was only if it really sucked ie level 1 not lvl 5

dealines:
    for remark: 15 sept 09
    for resit for nov 09: 29 july 09 (not sure at all)

i belive that is so although i would suggest to pretend the dealine is like much closer

also are you sure we can remark cwk - my IB coord seems to think that the grade is final

apparently you dont get exclusive copyright to your own IA, and if you just change your previous cwk thats plagiarising - wtf

yeh retake and resit are same, i use retake for cwk and resit for exams

It seems simply trying to improve by a few points is a herculean task - I blame the IB for this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IB_struggling_survivor)
    Hey guys;

enjoy your summer break

the IB survivor
    Whats the point of retaking your IB if your already at Uni doing what you want to do?

ReputationRep:
    wth, you cant improve on your existing classwork, that ****, badly

im pretty sure that your school can ask for it, but your school only not you. trust me the cordiantors may know much but they do make mistakes and their info may get outdated.

i never noticed anyting regarding your current grade and beeing alowed to retake anywhere i read,

for example if you got a 44, and missed a point in lets say math cuz you wer like too busy studing other subjects/doing cwk and you sure you can get a 7, than i dont see any reason not to retake math and get a 45.

i got a conditional offer of 6 in math, if i get a five trust me i wouldnt mind to reatke especially as it would not be 'revising again' for me, it would be just 'revising', so i dont see a problem retaking even if you got 6, if you got a seven though you have to be pretty dumb to reatke.

id advise against sitting the retake if you already started attending uni, i did that for igcse (started grade 11, skipped half of grade 10, cahnged school) its hard to do both.

if i get in a uni that im happy with i dont think ill actually turn up for the retake, or ill cancel it. too bad i have to register so early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donks169)
    Whats the point of retaking your IB if your already at Uni doing what you want to do?
    to go to better unis, plus it's not all the IB, its components - dont you do Alevel btw??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ito725)
    wth, you cant improve on your existing classwork, that ****, badly

im pretty sure that your school can ask for it, but your school only not you. trust me the cordiantors may know much but they do make mistakes and their info may get outdated.

i never noticed anyting regarding your current grade and beeing alowed to retake anywhere i read,

for example if you got a 44, and missed a point in lets say math cuz you wer like too busy studing other subjects/doing cwk and you sure you can get a 7, than i dont see any reason not to retake math and get a 45.

i got a conditional offer of 6 in math, if i get a five trust me i wouldnt mind to reatke especially as it would not be 'revising again' for me, it would be just 'revising', so i dont see a problem retaking even if you got 6, if you got a seven though you have to be pretty dumb to reatke.

id advise against sitting the retake if you already started attending uni, i did that for igcse (started grade 11, skipped half of grade 10, cahnged school) its hard to do both.

if i get in a uni that im happy with i dont think ill actually turn up for the retake, or ill cancel it. too bad i have to register so early.
    I will need to get in touch with my IB coord then but also do more reserach myself if i want proper info, cant trust teachers these days

yeh i understand that it's all about getting in your firm course but its a matter of principle isnt it, i suppose if youre reapplying during a gap year to a better uni than reatkes are good

i got 38 with 775 in HL, but my UCL offer is 38 with 666 (Phys Chem Ma HL). I hope the uni accepts me for that, but even if they do, i want to get remarkd anyway cos i wanna do physiology/science in US ivy league

plus qualifications go on your cv right. i guess a first class Uni degree (which I will actually enjoy doing, unlike the IB), overshadows GCSE/IB grades

its so anoying adminssions tutors dont talk to you until alevel results day so i dont know if all that effort is worth it.

keep in touch

ReputationRep:
    congrats, nice grades, forget about a remark for math, you wont get any improvment you need a retake, btw concering your cv, your job expiraicne couts for much more than your grades and diplomas, except licences, these count for alot.

ya i hate the dam alevels with their aug 20 date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smileytwin)
    Are you absolutely sure that there aren't any exceptions? My math portfolio was moderated down from a clear 6 to a 3 which I'm so angry about...:mad: Can't you complain about the results or something?
    Yeah the moderation system is very unfair if yours wasnt part of the sample sent in. I had a similar problem last year with physics. As far as I know nothing can be done for the IA in terms of remark..unless you redo the course. Are you sure your teacher didnt violate any IB rules (such as using old tasks not allowed from this year onwards) because there are heavy penalties (like 10 marks off)?

ReputationRep:
    How can you tell which have been remarked and which are still in the process of being remarked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by master135)
    Yeah the moderation system is very unfair if yours wasnt part of the sample sent in. I had a similar problem last year with physics. As far as I know nothing can be done for the IA in terms of remark..unless you redo the course. Are you sure your teacher didnt violate any IB rules (such as using old tasks not allowed from this year onwards) because there are heavy penalties (like 10 marks off)?
    Thing is is that you never really know what's gone wrong. apparently school too generous but i dont think that was the case. I got the highest mark and was told it would form part of the moderation sample.
    + we're the first year doing IB at our school...

Ito seems to think coursework can be remarked, which would be great cos i got 1% off level 6 HL in maths (62% for level 6 according to sevenoaks 09 boudaries). i cant get the exam remarked, the markscheme is too clear cut and objective. point is my coordinator has vanished and id'll like more input ASAP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by venti)
    How can you tell which have been remarked and which are still in the process of being remarked?
    your coordinator should know cos you need to tell them which one you want to remark

ReputationRep:
    Just read from the vade:

B9

Coordinators may request a re-mark of externally assessed material (cat1) , the return of externally
    assessed material (cat2) and/or a report on the moderation of internal assessment (cat3)
    . This service is
    known as an enquiry upon results. Requests for an enquiry upon results will only be accepted
    from schools, not from individual candidates, their relatives or other representatives.
    Enquiries in categories 1 and 2 are independent of each other and may be requested in either
    order
    up to 15 September / 15 March, about two months after the issue of results. No
    category may be requested more than once for the same examination material.
    The enquiry
    upon results service is not available for school-based syllabuses

>>>>>>>>So for a remark if i got lvl 2 in an exam and i want 6, we cant actually get a copy of the mark to know what went wrong - this is messed up. At least I have til 15 sept to think about it, although I hope the reatke dealine has not passed

Also:

C7.3 Retake (R)
    The term ‗retake‘ must only be applied to a candidate who in the previous session
    was registered as either a diploma (D) or retake (R) candidate. It must not be used
    to refer to an anticipated (A) or certificate (C) who is taking one or more subjects
    again.
    There are basically two kinds of retake candidate.
    A candidate who is retaking one or more diploma subjects six-months after his
    or her previous session or
     a candidate who is retaking one or more diploma subjects twelve months or
    more after his or previous session.
    In either case the responsibilities of the school are the same. Particular regulations
    and deadlines apply to candidates who are retaking a subject or subjects after sixmonths.
    A language B or language A2 cannot be retaken as a language ab initio subject.

>>>>>>>>> so i do have to retake whole subjects!!! not just componenst

C9. The registration of a six-month retake candidate will not be accepted after the
    deadline of 29 January / 29 July

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.