Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im not being funny but if you didn't get many more marks in the remark then there are no more marks to get out of it... so what would be the point of a remark? I don't think you can remark a remark that would be ridiculous.

And no they wont round up so you're in the next band... if they round up it would 69 which would mean you're still Level 5. If you need a 6 that much you're going to have to retake or look at other unis.

ReputationRep:
    First of all from what I know, you cannot remark more than once. And secondly, even if you are 69.98 they will NOT give you the lvl 6 (a few people I know are in this situation)

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    are the students allowed to know the break-up(component) marks for the papers? are we supposed to get them from the IB coordinator.

i want to get my biology and chemistry papers remarked. I got 5 in both.
    somebody said here that its very rare that you get upgraded in a science subject. i that right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IB-struck)
    Hi,
    are the students allowed to know the break-up(component) marks for the papers? are we supposed to get them from the IB coordinator.

i want to get my biology and chemistry papers remarked. I got 5 in both.
    somebody said here that its very rare that you get upgraded in a science subject. i that right?
    ya students are allowed to know their breakup, you actually get it latter on like in september, atleast thats what my schooll said.

its not as bad as remarking maths but ya its usually really clear wheather to give you a mark or not. marking scheem is really detailed.

heard a story that a guy in my school remarked a 5 to a 7 in physics. I say stoery because i dont really belive it even though the source is quite reliable (i.e a teacher not a classsmate)

look you may lose marks also so dont do someting stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Ask your coordinator for your mark breakdown. Last year I remarked Physics SL and went up by a total of 7 marks combined in paper 2 and 3 (level 6 to a level 7 ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by master135)
    Was everyone in your class moderated by the same amount? If they moderated just based on generousity...the marks would only go +/- 5 marks max and different for each 'band' of grades in the school. The big moderations usually are caused by other factors. Which portfolio tasks did you do....did your teacher make them him/herself?
    I just found out that my friend's portfolio was sent in with 19 points and actually came back as 20 points whereas mine was sent in as a 6
    (31 points) and came back as 16 points! I thought that if mine was halved then everyone else's would be halved as well?! By "band" do you just mean different amounts of points and that different bands are moderated differently? Finally do you know if it's at all possible to remark math IA when something this extreme happens even though it's impossible according to the vade mecum? I would really appreciate any answers you can give me as I'm very confused at the moment

ReputationRep:
    well if a students IA is moderated upwards then other students with ard the same mark will be moderated the same amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jc_bach)
    well if a students IA is moderated upwards then other students with ard the same mark will be moderated the same amount.
    well I didn't understand that it worked like that; I just thought that all would be moderated the same way regardless of what amount of points they had. This is why I was so surprised to find out about my friend's portfolio mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smileytwin)
    I just found out that my friend's portfolio was sent in with 19 points and actually came back as 20 points whereas mine was sent in as a 6
    (31 points) and came back as 16 points! I thought that if mine was halved then everyone else's would be halved as well?! By "band" do you just mean different amounts of points and that different bands are moderated differently? Finally do you know if it's at all possible to remark math IA when something this extreme happens even though it's impossible according to the vade mecum? I would really appreciate any answers you can give me as I'm very confused at the moment
    I actually thought that for example if I had 30 points and it went down 4 points, same with the other guy who had 25 points. This is really confusing...

------------------

And also about remarks - just heard that all your subject external assessment components for a subject are reamrked, you cannot remark individual exams - someone please confirm!

The vade mecum and my IBC are are too ambiguous in what they say.

ReputationRep:
    - just heard that all your subject external assessment components for a subject are reamrked, you cannot remark individual externally assessed components such as exams :woo: :eek3:

by whole subject (that excludes IA)

- someone please confirm!

I mention this in my thread page 3:
    IB remarks/retakes/resits - vital questions ( 1 2 3)

But they are two different discussions
    :o:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Whole subject as far as I'm aware. I think it excludes coursework? I'm not sure. Beware that remarks can make the mark go down now as well as up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IB_struggling_survivor)
    I actually thought that for example if I had 30 points and it went down 4 points, same with the other guy who had 25 points. This is really confusing...

------------------

And also about remarks - just heard that all your subject external assessment components for a subject are reamrked, you cannot remark individual exams - someone please confirm!

It's true that you can't remark individual exams, I thought it was possible but my IBC just told me that it isn't so assuming she knows what she's talking about there's your answer. And I didn't know about how the moderation worked either but apparently the different bands of grades are moderated differently, i.e. they don't change by the same amount which is what I thought. You're right about the vade mecum and IBC being ambiguous, I feel like I can't get a straight answer from anyone which is so frustrating...:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    Whole subject as far as I'm aware. I think it excludes coursework? I'm not sure. Beware that remarks can make the mark go down now as well as up...
    That's what I was dreading, becasue some exams within a subject i don't want remarked

Yeh it does exclude cwk (is internally assessed and ext moderated)

Yeh the marks can go down which isn't good :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whether World literature gets remarked as well? Thats for any A1 language subject.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by angie45)
    Does anyone know whether World literature gets remarked as well? Thats for any A1 language subject.
    Coursework is it not? No in that case. I vaguely remember you being able to request coursework being remarked, but I'm not sure. Ask your co-ordinator

ReputationRep:
    It's true that you can't remark individual exams, I thought it was possible but my IBC just told me that it isn't so assuming she knows what she's talking about there's your answer. And I didn't know about how the moderation worked either but apparently the different bands of grades are moderated differently, i.e. they don't change by the same amount which is what I thought. You're right about the vade mecum and IBC being ambiguous, I feel like I can't get a straight answer from anyone which is so frustrating...:mad:
    lol i guess if you want to know somthing or get something done, youve gotta do it yourself, and cant rely on your school or the IB. I wish we were really told how things really work about 2 years ago, instead of having a vague idea if how things work now, thats why TSR is heavenly lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    Coursework is it not? No in that case. I vaguely remember you being able to request coursework being remarked, but I'm not sure. Ask your co-ordinator
    world lit is an exception, it is externally assessed cwk, not int assessed and then ext moderated

so it does get remarked it would folllow

you cannot remark cwk according to vade mecum

IBCs are hopeless, but still worth consulting

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I got a 15 (D) on my EE, and 46 (B) total on TOK. Now, that adds up to one additional point.

To get a C on EE, and thus getting two additional points, I would need a 16 on EE. However, to get a B in EE I would have to go up 8, to a 23. What are the chances of an 8-point jump in EE

To get an A in TOK I would need to go up two marks to a 48.

Should I get both remarked?

ReputationRep:
    If you get ur TOK remarked and it got an A, ur component grades are A and D which gives you 2 points. so no need to remark both only remark TOK.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone is moderated by the same amount. IB has band/ranges of grades in which everyone is moderated by the same amount. Usually lower bands go up a bit and upper bands go down...but your case seems very weird. Ask your coordinator to get in touch with IB and ask for the reason this happened.. unless your teacher sucks at mathematics and gave the better portfolios lower marks :p:

World Lits get remarked for sure.

All exam papers are remarked (except multiple choice)

(Original post by theweester)
    Hello,

I got a 15 (D) on my EE, and 46 (B) total on TOK. Now, that adds up to one additional point.

To get a C on EE, and thus getting two additional points, I would need a 16 on EE. However, to get a B in EE I would have to go up 8, to a 23. What are the chances of an 8-point jump in EE

To get an A in TOK I would need to go up two marks to a 48.

Should I get both remarked?
    No point getting just EE remarked to get a B in tok with a C in EE because you will still get only 1 point.

so as said abovee: remark TOK

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.