Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, id love to hear from anyone who is currently on or recently finished the natural science course at the uni,
    thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhavi)
    hi, id love to hear from anyone who is currently on or recently finished the natural science course at the uni,
    thanks.
    As no one has answered. I did not do natural science but had a few guys in some of my lectures. You wont find many as I think less than 15 people do it a Birmingham but I might be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)

OP is there anything in particular you want to know?
    i wanted to hear from nat sci students about how the course is, whether it is much much harder as you're doing two subjects, do you have to be really well organised, do you have to be a certain kind of person to succeed etc, as im not sure if i'll be able to do well on it,

anyway here is my situation, id be grateful if you could read and possibly offer any advice,

-i was initially on the mathematics course, ive just finished my first year, but have been thinking about changing to natural sciences as the year came to an end, i was thinking of doing mathematics and chemistry. im really confused about whether to change or not, at times im like i'll stick with the maths, and then im like maybe i want to change.

-ive already spoken to the nat sci admissions tutor and she said it would be possible for me to transfer to the course, starting from first year. but she told me its not going to be an easy course (but the nothing is), as you'd be doing two subjects, her and my mathematics tutor also pointed out the fact about finance, but the nat sci course is 3yrs, ive had 1yr funding, and you're allowed 4yrs, so i think id be k in that sense. and also as i didnt seem 100% sure about the change, which i accept as true, i think id always be a little uncertain never a full 100% sure.

-an alternative option has been to complete the mathematics to obtain a BSci, then do a masters in anything like something to do with chemistry, rather than starting from scratch.

-why do i feel i want to change? well i just feel im missing chemistry, i did it as a level and actually enjoyed it. if something in chemistry was offered as an MOMD, id have taken it, but its not. but then i may want to end up doing a masters in something else, guess its not soo the end of the world if i dont get any chemical learning at university level, but i would/would've liked to.

-sorry for being long, but i thought id give as much detail as possible, thank you for any advice/opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    That's not much of an alternaive, I'd find it highly unlikely that you could do a masters degree focused around chemistry without an undergraduate backgroud.
    yes i understand what you're saying, ive only found one masters degree that i think would take me without an undergraduate chemistry background, as under entry requirements it just states having a 2.1 class degree, nothing else is specified, but i dont know if it'll be available in two years time.

-don't suppose you have any mates who are on the natural sciences course, and could say how they've found it.

-you said if you're determined and bright, are you saying it would take a bright person to do well on a natural sciences course, if so, what are your reasons for that?
    -by bright, what kind of intelligence/academic wise are you suggesting, a straight A student? but then as you said, if the determination is there, its still possible to do well.

ReputationRep:
    well mathematics has been k, not completely easy nor hard, every course has its hard/simple parts. having made friends on the course has meant ive not been alone in getting through the tough bits, but then people have said you shouldnt let that hold you back. i should be ok making new friends, its just as im settled in the course in that sense.

im really confused, one minute im like i'll stick, the next im thinking of changing. if im not 100% sure about changing, would you say not to, but then obv not having tried it out i have no idea really of what it'll be like till i get onto it.

the course you do at uni, for the current moment, it has to be something you enjoy right? im not hating mathematics nor loving it, at times i'll enjoy it, it varies on the content but then i guessthat goes with anything. most people on my course are neutral and just getting on with it, but sometimes i just feel im missing chemistry.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 17, 2009

University open days

1. University of Birmingham
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.