Power and Strength Watch

O Maestro
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I was thinking of joining a semi pro football side this summer, but one of my old coaches said that i need to improve my strength and power. I'm pretty lightweight(around 67kg) and around 6ft. Anyway, he said that if i don't improve my stamina, strength and power i will struggle to handle myself and take on more athletic players.

So i was wondering what i could do to help me out ? I've been doing HIIT the past two weeks and my stamina has improved loads. For power i've looked at stuff like plyometrics, but i still don't have any clue at how to do them and which is the best ?

For strength i was thinking of joining a gym, but i don't really have that much money to spend on a gym. How useful would it be to join a gym ? Or could i just do some home training exercises ? I really want to get more muscle, so i'm guessing i should just sign up to a gym ? I'm thinking of gaining weight, but i have the bad luck of all the weight going to my stomach

Any help would be great
Chumbaniya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Unless you intend to get a pretty serious set-up at home, I'd recommend joining a gym. The most important exercise for adding mass and a great lower body strength builder - squats - are going to require a barbell and squat rack which would be hella awkward to have at home.

For general conditioning, circuits sessions are a great way to increase your fitness whilst also being good for getting stronger.
SMed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Whatever you do, don't do Starting Strength!
acid8000
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do you mean gridiron or wendyball?
Hank Hill
Report 9 years ago
Wendyball by the looks of his avatar.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
WS4SB is what you want for power and strength applied to sports.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles.html

Read, understand, apply.
Favourite Worst Nightmare
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by O Maestro)
I was thinking of joining a semi pro football side this summer, but one of my old coaches said that i need to improve my strength and power. I'm pretty lightweight(around 67kg) and around 6ft. Anyway, he said that if i don't improve my stamina, strength and power i will struggle to handle myself and take on more athletic players.

So i was wondering what i could do to help me out ? I've been doing HIIT the past two weeks and my stamina has improved loads. For power i've looked at stuff like plyometrics, but i still don't have any clue at how to do them and which is the best ?

For strength i was thinking of joining a gym, but i don't really have that much money to spend on a gym. How useful would it be to join a gym ? Or could i just do some home training exercises ? I really want to get more muscle, so i'm guessing i should just sign up to a gym ? I'm thinking of gaining weight, but i have the bad luck of all the weight going to my stomach

Any help would be great
What is HIIT? And yeah joining a gym would be best, there are some good offers out there atm what with the recession and people cancelling their memberships.
yoshifumu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wouldn't be doing plyo's at home, less you wanna be throwing medicine balls through the walls. that stuff be better at a gym.
Transatlanticdrawl_
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Are we talking american football? At 67kgs and 6ft? You goin down unless you hit mcdonalds man
Powerlifter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Think he is talking of fag ball by the look of it.

As long as you train hard, spend hours on conditioning, balance and technique drills then dive on you face when someone comes within a meter like a ****** you will be fine in the "Beautiful game"
SMed
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
SMed
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The Boney King of Nowhere
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Powerlifter)

As long as you train hard, spend hours on conditioning, balance and technique drills then dive on you face when someone comes within a meter like a ****** you will be fine in the "Beautiful game"
Couldn't have said it better myself
Brotherhood
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Powerlifter)

To be fair that's mainly continental, and Premiership as a direct result of foreign imports. We don't stand for that crap in the lower leagues, and anyone doing it in any of the non-pro leagues I play in would probably get a smack.

We're not all pussies.
acid8000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SMed)
Powerlifter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
American Football > Football

VS

Rugby Football > Football

VS

O Maestro
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
haha @ the way this thread has gone.

I never knew there were loads of american football fans on here :ninja:

Tbh all i need help with is how to become more explosive and agile. Please leave the footie bashing for another thread:p:

(Original post by Favourite Worst Nightmare)
What is HIIT? And yeah joining a gym would be best, there are some good offers out there atm what with the recession and people cancelling their memberships.
High intensity interval training. It's like doing cardio at a high intensity. I go to this place where there is a steep hill, do jumping jacks to begin with, then sprint up at full pace and walk back down. Do around 10 sets of those and it kills.

Here is an article i found after a quick search on google for info on it

http://hubpages.com/hub/HIITandFatLoss

SMed
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lnjames)
Exactly. Two completely different dives.
Brotherhood
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by O Maestro)
haha @ the way this thread has gone.

I never knew there were loads of american football fans on here :ninja:

Tbh all i need help with is how to become more explosive and agile. Please leave the footie bashing for another thread:p:

High intensity interval training. It's like doing cardio at a high intensity. I go to this place where there is a steep hill, do jumping jacks to begin with, then sprint up at full pace and walk back down. Do around 10 sets of those and it kills.

Here is an article i found after a quick search on google for info on it

http://hubpages.com/hub/HIITandFatLoss

WS4SB
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
6', 70 kg and wanting to increase power and strength so you look at "HIIT and Fat Loss" when WS4SB has already been posted?

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.14%
No (204)
72.86%

Watched Threads