Turn on thread page Beta

School friends who go to same uni as you - did you interact with them? watch

ReputationRep:
    What the title says really.

There's about 7 or 8 people going to the uni I'm going to, some of them are my friends, some of them aren't (but I'm not enemies with any of them). Just wondering, for people who are already at uni, whether they still talk to and stay in close contact with school friends? Also are people going to university this year going to stay friends with people from the same school at their university?

That was badly worded, sorry :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    nice thread question, i cant speak from experience. But think about how it was from primary to secondary school. Alot did change and maturity did too.

ReputationRep:
    There's like 7 people going to Manchester university from my school this year, but I'm only planning on staying in touch with one of them who is doing my course. Judging by how well everyone keeps in touch during the summer holidays, I don't think I'd be able to see them all even if I wanted to.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'd meet up with the two people i knew once a term or so, and see them every now and again randomly, often drunkenly in clubs tbh . I knew both of them beforehand pretty well though.

ReputationRep:
    Nah my proper friends that I went to school with ended up going to different universities. The people I knew from school who went to mine I didn't even see.

ReputationRep:
    Only to the school friends who are actually friends, the rest, no.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, my uni was about 50 miles from where I grew up, so was quite popular. About six of us ended up there, and I interacted/stayed close to the ones I was already good friends with, and saw the others in passing as it had been at school.

To be honest, having those friends there was a bit of a lifeline in my case. I didn't get a place in halls and had to lodge with a local family. A link to people living on campus, and a floor in halls to sleep on made freshers week a bit easier. I'd imagine it wouldn't matter so much if you're in halls and living with people to make friends with.

Whether you stay friends with these people or not isn't really an issue though. If you do, you do, if you don't, you don't. Different people have different experiences, simple as.

ReputationRep:
    Two of my friends from school, who are going out with each other, went to the same uni as me. I rarely meet up with them there though - maybe about 4 times a year - as I don't live with/near them at uni or do the same course etc. I guess we've just made our own friends now and are too busy to see much of each other!

ReputationRep:
    In my case there were about 5 of us at Uni of Liverpool and a fair few more who go to JMU. From the ones at the Uni, I don't see them very often, but will chat to them if I see them in the guild, and go out with them for their bdays. The major meetups are during the hols though.

ReputationRep:
    Three other people from my year went to the same uni as me - one quite a close friend and the other two I knew and got along with fairly well.

I stayed quite close with my closest friend as we were in the same halls and we always met up at home in holidays too, I don't think my friendship with any of them changed particularly actually.

I did make a point of trying not to hang round with them too much at the start though as I wanted to make friends of my own on my corridor and stuff, and knew it would look rude if I just went off all the time (one girl had a boyfriend in another halls and never even bothered introducing herself to anyone!)

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't really an issue with me but i'd recommend not spending alot of time with old friends during freshers unless they live a couple of doors away. I knew people that travelled to different halls and stayed with old friends alot during freshers and i think overall it stopped them from making friends with the people in their block or flat. It would be better to make new friends and then a little later they could come out with you and your mates and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    I know a couple of girls from school who will be in London when I'm at uni. I imagine we'll meet up once or twice, but tbh I think we'll have our own uni lives independently of each other.

ReputationRep:
    I think three or four people from my school went to the same university; I think I saw one of them twice in their three years.

ReputationRep:
    Only one of them. The rest either I can't stand or we weren't close enough friends to keep in touch, which is a shame because I quite like them.

ReputationRep:
    bumping this to get more replies

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.